1 minute all out, 2 minutes rest… I can’t do it!!

• This topic has 7 voices and 13 replies.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Hi All,I just saw Keifer's video suggesting that women should do 1 minute high intensity and 2 minutes low intensity for HITT training. I'm used to doing tabata style HITT training with moves like jumping jacks, mountain climbers, high knees, squats, burpees etc. But after seeing that video I decided to do these moves in the cycles Keifer suggested.... but I just couldn't do it.I pushed myself so hard the first 30 seconds that I just couldn't make it through the full 60 seconds. on one of my cycles I deciding to pace myself on the 60 seconds instead of trying to go as hard as i could and I did make it through. So my question is: If I plan on doing 60 seconds should I pace myself through that 60 seconds so I can make it to the end? or should I go as hard as I can and then fail towards the end?Second question is about the moves I'm doing (burpees, mountain climbers, squats, jumping jacks, high knees, jump rope etc). Are these good for this kind of HITT? I don't have a gym membership (yet...I'm working on it, but I'm having a hard time finding one)  so all my training is done at home in my living room. I've used some videos to follow along with on fitnessblenders.com but if anyone has any suggestions on what I can do with my limited means it would be much appreciated. Strength training is also difficult so any tips in that area would also be helpful. Thank you!

Richard Schmitt

It's full intensity up to 60 seconds, while we know that it is rather difficult to sprint 60 seconds, the idea is to give 100% effort leading up to 60 seconds.Yes, HIIT can be done in different forms. Body weight HIIT can be ideal, adding intensity or some weights to certain movements can increase the session itself.

It's full intensity up to 60 seconds, while we know that it is rather difficult to sprint 60 seconds, the idea is to give 100% effort leading up to 60 seconds.Yes, HIIT can be done in different forms. Body weight HIIT can be ideal, adding intensity or some weights to certain movements can increase the session itself.

Thanks so much! I guess I will do the best I can in that 60 seconds!

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

It's actually physically impossible to sprint at 100% intensity for 60 seconds.  What Kiefer means is that the rate of perceived exertion should be 9-10 (based on a scale of 1-10).  So you were right to “pace yourself” for 60 seconds. 

It's actually physically impossible to sprint at 100% intensity for 60 seconds.  What Kiefer means is that the rate of perceived exertion should be 9-10 (based on a scale of 1-10).  So you were right to "pace yourself" for 60 seconds.

Thanks so much! That makes sense to me. I felt like I wanted to be working hard for the full 60 seconds but if I pushed myself to 100% for the first 30 seconds I dropped off to more of a 7 then 5 then 3 at the end (based on 1-10 scale) for the remaining 30 seconds. But my next cycle I worked at about 9 for the first 30 then more of 8 for the rest.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

It's actually physically impossible to sprint at 100% intensity for 60 seconds.  What Kiefer means is that the rate of perceived exertion should be 9-10 (based on a scale of 1-10).  So you were right to "pace yourself" for 60 seconds.

Thanks so much! That makes sense to me. I felt like I wanted to be working hard for the full 60 seconds but if I pushed myself to 100% for the first 30 seconds I dropped off to more of a 7 then 5 then 3 at the end (based on 1-10 scale) for the remaining 30 seconds. But my next cycle I worked at about 9 for the first 30 then more of 8 for the rest.

No you should be at a 9 or 10 all the time.  The RPE does not depend on your speed or pace.  RPE is all about how difficult it feels.  If you are fresh and well rested an RPE of 9 is not going to be the same as an RPE of 9 when you are exhausted and at the end of your workout.  However, they will FEEL the same.Also I would recommend either an exercise bike or hill sprints for HIIT.  I wouldn't do the stuff you are doing.

No you should be at a 9 or 10 all the time.  The RPE does not depend on your speed or pace.  RPE is all about how difficult it feels.  If you are fresh and well rested an RPE of 9 is not going to be the same as an RPE of 9 when you are exhausted and at the end of your workout.  However, they will FEEL the same.Also I would recommend either an exercise bike or hill sprints for HIIT.  I wouldn't do the stuff you are doing.

Okay I understand. I don't have access to an exercise bike or track (or any space to run) at the moment. So that is a bummer. Problem is there is no gym near my house and I don't currently have a car (I commute to work on the train). so I've been trying to do something at home in the meantime while I figure that out. Thanks for the tips though. I really appreciate it.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Okay I understand. I don't have access to an exercise bike or track (or any space to run) at the moment. So that is a bummer. Problem is there is no gym near my house and I don't currently have a car (I commute to work on the train). so I've been trying to do something at home in the meantime while I figure that out. Thanks for the tips though. I really appreciate it.

I find that hard to believe.  You don't live by a park or a field of some sort?

I find that hard to believe.  You don't live by a park or a field of some sort?

I know that is what I said!! I just moved to this new house and I've been looking for any amount of space to run. It is a kind of urban area just outside of NYC, definitely no fields, there are a couple of small parks in town with a playgrounds for kids and dog runs... I guess I could just sprint on the side walks, I'll just have to dodge other people. I'm looking in to seeing if I can get access to the highschool football field... fingers crossed.

Penny Danner
    Participant

He has also said :30-1min work with 2:30-4min rest (walking)I do :30 or :40 sec at 100% and rest 3min...or as he has said...until you can talk again without huffing/puffing. Did you see this video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZeUl4vFDcE

He has also said :30-1min work with 2:30-4min rest (walking)I do :30 or :40 sec at 100% and rest 3min...or as he has said...until you can talk again without huffing/puffing. Did you see this video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZeUl4vFDcE

Thanks,I did see that video, its actually what sparked my question. Maybe a full minute is too much for me. I can do 30 or 40 seconds but I pretty much collapse after that.

William J Baker
    Participant

Rope jumping is one of the very best exercises to perform H.I.I.T.(along with sprinting). I usually alternate 30 seconds of rope jumping with 2-3 minutes of slow walking. You could also rotate jumping jacks, mountain climbers and high knees, 30 seconds/2-3 minutes as above, e.g. 30 sec. jumping jacks/2-3 min. walk, 30 sec. mountain climbers/2-3min walk, etc.

Holly Dulaney
    Participant

Rope jumping is one of the very best exercises to perform H.I.I.T.(along with sprinting). I usually alternate 30 seconds of rope jumping with 2-3 minutes of slow walking. You could also rotate jumping jacks, mountain climbers and high knees, 30 seconds/2-3 minutes as above, e.g. 30 sec. jumping jacks/2-3 min. walk, 30 sec. mountain climbers/2-3min walk, etc.

I always forget about the humble jump rope, I know what I'll be using for my HIIT tomorrow morning! No excuses and thanks for the reminder!

Nman
    Participant

Another option for in home is the trampoline.  I bought one for football when I tore my hamstring and used it to rehab and it worked really well.  I have a Spin Bike and Parks/Hills right by my house but sometimes in the winter I'll use that trampoline and it works great.  Typically you can find them cheap at yard sales or used sporting good stores if you don't want to buy a new one.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

1 minute all out, 2 minutes rest… I can’t do it!!

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?