Advice based on my blood work

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Nerian
    Participant

I’m a 25 year old male, 105kg, 6’3. Waist 110cm. Biceps 15inch flexed. Legs 68.5cm. I usually oscillate between 95kg and 100kg. I’m looking to get under 90kg.

I had a glucose tolerance test done. 75g of glucose, fasted, and three blood tests. (Before, 60 minutes after, 120 minutes after)

My insulin went up to 120 after 60 minutes, and then went up AGAIN to 180 after 120 minutes. The doctor explained that it should not have gotten above 40, and that at 120 minutes it should have gone back down to normal.

Given this, would carb nite be a bad choice for me?

I have had good results with low carb. A couple years ago I went form 108kg to 92kg on a strict ketogenic diet with intermittent fasting. But I stalled and eventually got sick of it, and I slowly crept up to 100kg again.

The doctor is telling me to eat some carbohydrates for breakfast ‘for energy’ and that since my carb metabolism is messed up I should eat 50% protein. I didn’t want to tell him he was wrong. I didn’t want to ask why not use fat instead. He also said all cells in the body need glucose, which I know simply is false. Only the CNS/brain needs glucose, the rest can use fat.

The doctor himself is quite overweight which makes me wonder.

• This topic was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by Nerian.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Carb Nite will be fine as diabetics generally do well with it, so you can too.

I will say though, don’t get too caught up in the low carb dogma. Just lose weight, which can be done with a diet that contains carbs.

Robert Haas
    Participant

I agree with Ibob in don’t get caught up in the low carb dogma.

I would however try to find the source of your insulin resistance.

What is your lifestyle like? Any resistance training? Sedentary? Any sunlight exposure? Any known food allergies?

Any other blood testing beyond what has been mentioned?

The eyes can't see what the mind doesn't understand.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

What is your lifestyle like? Any resistance training? Sedentary? Any sunlight exposure? Any known food allergies?

He is overweight. He mentioned he had a 110 cm waist which is over 43 inches. Even for a 6’3″ guy that is too much. I’m willing to bet if he lost weight his health issues would sort themselves out.

Robert Haas
    Participant

He is overweight. He mentioned he had a 110 cm waist which is over 43 inches. Even for a 6’3″ guy that is too much. I’m willing to bet if he lost weight his health issues would sort themselves out.

Gotcha & yes I agree. Sorry not good with metric conversions.

Mostly just wondering if the doctor thought about a HS-C reactive protein test to rule out any major inflammation issues.
    Why do I say this? Well, he did ok on the strict keto diet but when he added carbs back in, the body fat came back. I suspect there could be a possibility of an allergy to dairy, wheat, or other grains that are common causes of gut issues. Once gut permeability occurs autoimmune diseases soon likely follow.
    http://chriskresser.com/could-a-leaky-gut-be-making-you-fat/

Based on the test the OP presented glucose clearance was the problem which would lead one to think insulin resistance but what if an auto immune disease is preventing enough insulin from being released.

Maybe I’m way off base but it’s just a thought.

Nerian
    Participant

Thank you for your replies.

I will give additional information.

I have also shown low Vitamin D, and low thyroid according to the same doctor. He’s put me on T3, and I am taking Vitamin D drops on a dry tongue.

I’m definitely overweight.

I strength train twice a week, sometimes thrice, have been for about two years. With fairly lacklustre results. But I vehemently hate cardio. I try to throw some in here and there. That is my biggest weakness, and the thing I have to start forcing myself to do.

I saw this doctor due to extreme brain fog, memory issues, fatigue, feeling tired which has persisted for a year and a half.

Given my family history he ordered a gene test, and I have a homozygous MTHFR polymorphism mutation. The doctor explained that this results in my cells being incapable of converting folic acid to folinic acid. I will be taking folinic acid in order to leap frog the problem. The reason I’m not dead is that the cells can use a back up system of methyl-b12.

He said I’m not diabetic yet, but I’m on the wrong track. My weight used to hover around 98kg with a 100cm waist. Still overweight, but not as bad. I have recently gained a lot of weight.

I have a history of yoyo weight. I went from 85kg to 108kg, then down to 100kg, then up to 108kg, then down to 92kg, then up to 97kg where it hovered for a fair while, slowly creeping up to 100kg. Then back to 97kg, then recently up to 105kg.

My main nemesis is milk chocolate. I have relatively little trouble not eating any other foods.

I’m not too caught up in low carb anymore, but I find my hunger is reduced quite a lot when I eat low carb. I have decided to do a low very carb diet during the day and then once a week do a carb nite, and if need be eat carbs at night after my strength training.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by Nerian.

Robert Haas
    Participant

Sounds to me like you have done your research and are on the right track. I would not worry about doing cardio beyond some walking or even some HIIT if you are going to do it at all.

Interesting about the MTHFR. Here’s a good article: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/mthfr/

Check out the “how to treat” section. Given this information I think CNS could work IF you keep the food choices (carbs) on the safe side to avoid the gut issues I’ve mentioned above in my previous post.

leaky Gut causes a lot of havoc and could be why you are having the insulin resistance & thyroid problems.

For Vit D levels I’d in addition to supplementing try to get some morning sun. I’m not sure of the exact mechanism but it has to do with cytochrome in the retna getting UV light and activating pathways to make vit D more bioavailable.

Good luck and keep us posted as it may help others.

Nerian
    Participant

Thank you for the link!

The doctor said that as my condition improves, I will start to feel like doing cardio rather than hate it.

I will keep you posted on my brain fog situation and on my weight loss.

Robert Haas
    Participant

Here are a few more things that might help your situation:
    I’d supplement with NAC (N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine). It’s a precursor to glutathione for immune system support.
    Also Undenatured whey protein is a good one as well for the same mentioned above.

Avoiding all vegetable oils would be a good idea as they can cause gut inflammation as well. Use MCT, coconut oils or grass fed butter for cooking instead.

Robert Haas
    Participant

OK trying not to overwhelm you but just a few more suggestions: On the brain fog: some intermittent fasting will help with that. Start out at trying to go 12 hours between your last meal and breakfast. If you can work up to 16 hours a few days a week. Coffee will be your friend here in the morning as well as some MCT oil or coconut oil/coconut milk.

You also might benefit from kiefers nicotine protocol.

Nerian
    Participant

Interesting. I have used coconut oil and olive oil mainly as my oils. I use a tiny bit of butter to cook my beef mince.

I have a history of intermittent fasting. I haven’t found it helped me with my brain fog. It can be like sprinkling sugar on a turd. It gives some benefit but the brain fog is there.

I’ll try to fill in a bit oft he back story. I was actually quite happy, in best shape I had been for a long time (92kg) and getting my life together (started uni, doing well), lifting, and I was eating low carb, lots of veggies, no junk food, occasionally IF, and I felt good. (As an aside, I also don’t drink or smoke or do weed, or anything like that.) Then out of absolutely no where I started feeling this brain fog in the morning, and then it would go away, then eventually it started dragging out all day. Eventually it got so bad that I felt like a ‘zombie’, and I was unable to study for more than a couple hours without being completely out of it. Today, I can at least function at a low level but it’s always there 24/7/365, and I’ve developed coping strategies (like writing everything down because I forget everything, setting alarms, etc) and gotten better at dealing with my potato mush of a brain. I have tried a lot of different things to fix it. I’m a science student so I brain stormed everything I thought it might be. Potassium, Vit D pills, Low carb, high carb, moderate carb, paleo, fasting, zinc, magnesium, mercury from tuna, thyroid (originally I was told my thyroid was fine!), blood tests, exercise, etc. And I’ve bounced around to different doctors with lots of blood tests. It came from no where and nothing has helped. I’m hoping that this is the fix.

Robert Haas
    Participant

I’d check out Jack Kruses forum: https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php and introduce yourself.
    Go into detail about your situation. He’s a neurologist and has a wide range of articles posted on these difficult situations and actually responds himself most times to questions. He can’t (or any of the other practitioners on the forum) give specific medical advice but he or one of his moderators will point you to a blog specific to help resolve your situation.

Best of luck to you and I hope you can get it figured out.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Advice based on my blood work

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?