Betaine… Creatines meaner, leaner secret cousin?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Robert x Oleary
    Participant

Just listened to the newest podcast by Physique Science Radio. And their guest was talking about post grad studies of betaine on trained athletes… Anyone else ever heard of this? Seems pretty dang interesting to me, and it can be used in conjunction with creatine by what I've gleaned thus far…. still need to listen to the info from Dr Cholewa. http://jasoncholewa.com/2014/08/16/betaine-to-improve-body-composition-and-performance/Anyone know anything about this? I eat, sleep, and breath sup science. I love it, but I've NEVER heard of this before. Interesting stuff... and legal of course.Notes thus far: -NOT HCL (which is found in digestive enzyme blends), Betaine TMG is what you would want for physique and performance improvement.-Take with meals... or get diarrhea. -Shown to improve IGF1 and HG levels.-Takes a few days to saturate into your system.

Robert x Oleary
    Participant

also this:http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jim-stoppanis-expert-guide-to-betaine.htmlHow should I stack it? It's no coincidence that betaine is in pre-workout supplement blends alongside ingredients like creatine, L-citrulline, and beta-alanine. Its effects are definitely complementary to these tried-and-true performance supports, and it indirectly helps your body produce and process creatine to boot.*Several of the most promising recent studies focusing on betaine have included it as a pre-workout, either on its own in water or mixed into a drink with elecrolytes and carbs. Then, the subjects took a second dose later in the day. That seems like a solid approach to me. Either add betaine to your current pre- and post-workout stack, or look for a blend that includes it. Should I cycle it? At this time, there doesn't appear to be any reason to cycle betaine. It can be taken continuously.When should I take it? It is estimated that most people consume about 1-2 grams of betaine in their daily diet. However, research does confirm that supplementing with extra betaine provides distinct health and performance benefits. Plus, research confirms that a good deal of betaine is lost in the sweat during exercise. This further supports the notion that you should supplement with betaine daily, and not only before working out.Given that betaine has been suggested to boost greater levels of muscle protein synthesis and can decrease cortisol levels, it makes sense to put those doses on both ends of your intense training. This is when you work hardest to create an anabolic environment.So look for products which supply betaine in the form of betaine monohydrate, betaine anhydrous, or simply listed as trimethylglycine (TMG). Take 1.25-1.5 grams of betaine twice per day, preferably pre- and post-workout.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I take it.  It's a good supplement.  I find it helps my strength in particular. 

Robert x Oleary
    Participant

I take it.  It's a good supplement.  I find it helps my strength in particular.

I'm going to buy some today and start ASAP. It's crazy cheap online too. Even the brand name versions are dirt cheap.

optimumhealth7117
    Participant

How is this going for you? Notice any improvements? When are you taking it?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Betaine… Creatines meaner, leaner secret cousin?

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?