carb nite Qs after long term ULC

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

drklopek
    Participant

Ok, so i spent about 10 months doing ULC and intermittent fasting (mostly because i like skipping breakfast). The first two months I lost 25lbs, then i stalled. At the time i was eating as much as i wanted, so i decided to start reducing my caloric intake to see if that would break the stall, but no dice. I even dropped down to around 1300-1500 kcals/day (I’m 6’2″ 265lbs, BMR~3000kcals) for over a month with no weight loss. In fact the only change i noticed was serious losses in strength at the gym. So i came across Kiefer and read both CNS and CBL books. I tried CN for a month at first and I didn’t notice any changes from doing ULC. So at the suggestion of a friend i switched to CBL for roughly 3 months. I loved it, strength returned in the gym and i could handle high intensity workouts (texas method program). But i still had no weight/fat loss (still about 265lbs). Then i went to eating a moderate fat, moderate carb, moderate protein diet (at maintenance for cals) for 4 months with no change in weight, again. I just started doing carb nite again about 3 weeks ago. So far no loss in weight still. I currently eat about 2500 kcals/day, with 60% fat, 35% protein, 5% carbs. I lift weights (modified 5×5 program, centered on bench, squat, and deadlift), I walk about an hour every evening with my daughter (approx. 4.5 miles) and do two HIIT workouts/week on the stationary bike. I’m at around 25% bf but thats just an estimation. Finally, my question is: should I really try to go all out on carb nites to get my metabolism going? or should i keep it pretty clean? i did an experiment by eating a ton of donuts my first carb nite and by the next carb nite i actually dropped down to 264. The next two carb nites i was far more conservative (a potatoe, then a bowl of ice cream) and i jumped back up to 268 this week. Im not sure if doing ULC for so long has stunted my ability to lose weight, but something seems to be amiss. I’ve never had a hard time dropping weight until the last couple years.

Steve Cauffiel
    Participant

If all you had on CN was a bowl of ice cream and a potatoe… that’s probably the issue (and crazy talk in general lol). You should be aiming for at least three spikes (if not four) of at least 100g – but with your weight you could probably push upwards of 125-150g per spike. The goal to CN is to kick off all that hormonal response and you’re not gonna get that without hitting higher carb/insulin spike amounts. Just my two cents.

Steve

Martha Richards
    Participant

Agree with Steve and I’d also suggest eating more fat.

Robert Haas
    Participant

If it is a sluggish metabolism as you suspect then yes as Steve suggested with more spikes on CN. Some other possible metabolism boosters are trying some T3 fuel for thyroid support or if that’s not available due to it’s limited supply take sea kelp and some selenium supplements. Eating more leafy greens helps, so does Omega 3 PUFA’s preferably in the form of real seafood. Adding in some fermented foods to your diet such as sauerkraut, dill pickles, plain kefir or plain yogurt will aid in digestion as well as have some metabolism boosting benefits.

The eyes can't see what the mind doesn't understand.

Makoto Tomizawa
    Participant

You’re doing too much on CNS, assuming you’re lifting at least 3 days/week. 5×5 is pretty taxing. If anything, do 5×5 rep scheme the day after your Carb Nite, but then taper down to something like 3×5.
    Also, you’re lifting but only getting 35% of your calories from protein, and based on your caloric intake that’s only around 220 grams. I don’t know your body fat percentage, but I would increase the protein and decrease the fat. I’d start at around 1 gram of protein/lb of body weight.

It could also be being at 1300~1500 kcals for a while caused some sort of metabolism issues.

Training Log: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vuwHRdBaPVILxxLhXly_N1Ys66Hcwk4j-bM7nvKSLrI/edit?usp=sharing

drklopek
    Participant

yea, i usually try to taper off the later in the week to something like 5or6x4 with longer rest periods, and i try to rotate squat and deadlift days so that one doesn’t always fall on the day after CN. also, i am getting about 220g of protein which probably should be around 240-250g/ day, given that i estimate my bf to be ~25%. but i dont always have the appetite to get it all down.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

carb nite Qs after long term ULC

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?