CarbNite Veterans out there: Couple Questions

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Wayne Thomas Batson
    Participant

Hi, CarbNiters,
    I’m 100lbs overweight. I don’t feel morbid, but I am morbidly heavy. Pissing me off to no end because I’ve tried diet after diet, and I fail because I don’t stick to it.

CarbNite seems like the solution. I absolutely -KNOW- that my body responds to low carb, but this “CarbNite” sounds like the fix for why I fail. But I have a couple of questions:

1) Do you think CarbNite will work for 100lbs? I mean, really? (I’m kind of at my wit’s end on all this)

2) I bought Kiefer’s books but I’m still a little unclear about what to drink on low carb days? I don’t do coffee, but I don’t want to do diet soda anymore (health issues seem serious). I found a caffeinated pre workout powder that sweetens with Stevia only. Would that be okay?

3) Is there a protein powder or shake that WON’T knock me out of ketosis?

4) What about sugar free mints? Yes or No?

5) Tips and Tricks from the experts? Do’s and Don’ts?

I know these questions probably sound stupid, but when I’ve done low carb in the past, there’s always been a sneaking suspicion that some of these things could be thwarting my best efforts.

Thank you dearly for any help you can offer.

Robert Haas
    Participant

CN will work for anyone provided you don’t have any other metabolic issues going on. For instance if you are insulin resistant but not leptin resistant you should be OK. The problem with leptin resistance is hormonally you don’t respond like you should. Chances are also that your thyroid hormones aren’t converting properly. You could have developed food allergies or leaky gut syndrome.
    Bottom line is the diet is going to work or it isn’t. And, if it isn’t you’ll need to fix the underlying problems before any diet is going to work. For some people this means cutting out all suspect foods that are more prone to cause inflammation. For some it means getting lab work done to determine C reactive protein levels and any underlying hormone and nutrient deficiencies.

A’s
    1) water
    2) capsules or caffeine pills are cheap but not as effective as coffee
    3) keep it under 10 to 12 grams and you are OK
    4) I’d cut them out for now. Add them back in a few weeks and you’ll know if they are having an adverse effect
    5) Start a log and keep track so Mods and other carb nighters can point out dos & don’ts as you go along

The eyes can't see what the mind doesn't understand.

Robert Haas
    Participant

I know these questions probably sound stupid, but when I’ve done low carb in the past, there’s always been a sneaking suspicion that some of these things could be thwarting my best efforts.

Not stupid questions at all. The problem with constant low carb, low cal is sometimes you won’t get the conversion of T4 to T3 (thyroid hormones) which requires insulin. This is why some who constant low carb. low cal crash their metabolism and end up gaining weight back adding more than they took off.

The eyes can't see what the mind doesn't understand.

Wayne Thomas Batson
    Participant

Thanks, Shadow!

Steve Cauffiel
    Participant

I’m down 45 pounds since Christmas Wayne and lots of other folks have dropped serious weight too. In the past I’d do Atkins and while I’d lose 15-20 pounds short term, long term it just wasn’t sustainable – as you may have noticed. The weekly re-feed really is the answer to the problems with ULC. Shadow nailed it pretty much:
    1) Yes, yes it will – Depending on how bad you want it.
    2) I drink water almost to the exclusion of everything else. Sometimes I’ll have a Coke Zero as a “treat” but try to keep that stuff as minimal as possible.
    3) Ketosis isn’t the end-all-be-all to CNS. Any protein in great amounts can spike insulin. Keep your morning shakes under 25g and you should be okay as long as you’re having fat (MCT/Coconut oil) with it (I keep mine at or below 15g).
    4) I had to stop taking sugar-free gum (and nuts) because it was just too yummy and I’d indulge in way too much which stalled my progress. Better to just exclude that stuff entirely (at least in the beginning) until you’re established in the diet and then maybe add something like that in occasionally. I’ve noticed the longer I go, the less I feel I NEED that sort of thing and don’t even have the cravings anymore.
    5) Definitely log everything you eat and measure it – don’t guess. I’ve got a log around here somewhere where I put up a lot of the stuff I’ve learned while getting CNS tuned for me if you feel like taking a look.

It’s do-able and just takes some discipline.

Steve

Wayne Thomas Batson
    Participant

Thank you, Steve. All the insights help. My first weigh in is this coming Friday, which is day ten of the CNS induction/reorientation period. Already seeing some weight loss, feeling less bloated, and more like the “furnace is stoked” if that makes sense. lol

Steve Cauffiel
    Participant

Good deal, and I know exactly what you mean. 🙂

Caleb Basinger
    Participant

Hi Wayne,

All the best to you in your journey. I definitely believe it’s doable, but know that I didn’t always believe it. I was 40 pounds overweight. I too struggled with different diets. Tried Atkins and low-carb variants several times before. Finally, with Carb-Night solution, I was successful at steadily losing the weight, and now am 5 pounds away from my goal. Several things that helped ME were:

3. Realizing that I needed more fat when I went low-carb. Now I eat lots of butter with my food. I no longer cut fat off of my meat (and guess what, it actually tastes better, who knew?)
    2. Heavily limit the artificial sweeteners, mainly, diet sodas and diet candy. Even though they may supposedly be low-carb friendly, they kill that satiation effect that makes a “Low-carb, High-fat” diet so great. They definitely caused me to eat more food than I should have.
    1. Find what inspires you about losing the weight. For my wife and I, we started learning more about the science of sugar/carbohydrates (and it’s effects on people). We read “Why We Get Fat” by Gary Taubes, we watched the recent documentary “Fed Up” (2014 version, not the old anti-GMO movie by the same name), and we listened to many of the podcasts from Kiefer. We also listen to Jimmy Moore’s podcast and read his book “Keto-Clarity”. He has great practical tips, but just remember that he doesn’t do the carb-cycle, which is really, really important for the reasons that others have stated earlier. My point is, giving ourselves information to constantly consume about this diet made us more sure of what the foods do in our system, and kept us motivated.

Please keep us up-to-date on your progress. All the best to you.

Caleb

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CarbNite Veterans out there: Couple Questions

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?