Consume protein powder, without spiking insulin…

• This topic has 22 voices and 76 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 77 total)
  • Author

Crista

Do y'all know anything about Trutein protein powder from Trunutrition Sciences?"Trutein: More Than Just ProteinWe are proud to introduce Trutein, an ultra-premium protein powder designed for professional athletes. We specifically formulated Trutein to be the best-tasting and most innovative protein available. Consequently, Trutein delivers more health benefits than any other existing protein. Some features include:Sustained-Release Protein Blend of Whey, Micellar Casein & Egg WhiteRecovery Module featuring Omega-3s & Nucleotides"It looks like what I think we should be looking for on CNS for those of us who are vegetarian and looking for a bit more protein without spiking insulin - Micellar Casein, egg white.... is this correct?

Do y'all know anything about Trutein protein powder from Trunutrition Sciences?"Trutein: More Than Just ProteinWe are proud to introduce Trutein, an ultra-premium protein powder designed for professional athletes. We specifically formulated Trutein to be the best-tasting and most innovative protein available. Consequently, Trutein delivers more health benefits than any other existing protein. Some features include:Sustained-Release Protein Blend of Whey, Micellar Casein & Egg WhiteRecovery Module featuring Omega-3s & Nucleotides"It looks like what I think we should be looking for on CNS for those of us who are vegetarian and looking for a bit more protein without spiking insulin - Micellar Casein, egg white.... is this correct?

All protein spikes insulin, even a steak.  Sustained-release is good, b/c it will slow the absorption, and therefore the spike will not be as intense and sudden, rather slow and steady.  Eating fats or fiber with protein provides a similar effect.This would be a good protein for you, as it would offer some source variety... which I can tell you is hard to find as a Vegetarian.  I pretty much rely on eggs, some cheeses and whey at certain times.Cory

Crista

All protein spikes insulin, even a steak.  Sustained-release is good, b/c it will slow the absorption, and therefore the spike will not be as intense and sudden, rather slow and steady.  Eating fats or fiber with protein provides a similar effect.This would be a good protein for you, as it would offer some source variety... which I can tell you is hard to find as a Vegetarian.  I pretty much rely on eggs, some cheeses and whey at certain times.Cory

GREAT! thanks Cory. Because a week ago I ordered it and had it sent to the US where I'll be in a week but I didn't want to use it if it was going to wreck shit.  I'm following your lead and relying on eggs, cheese and then I'll add whey too.  With the shake, should I just make it with water or should I add some HWC for fat?

GREAT! thanks Cory. Because a week ago I ordered it and had it sent to the US where I'll be in a week but I didn't want to use it if it was going to wreck shit.  I'm following your lead and relying on eggs, cheese and then I'll add whey too.  With the shake, should I just make it with water or should I add some HWC for fat?

I just make my shakes w/ water (16 oz.).  Post-workout, I would not add fat.Do eat cheese, but limit intake.  I find I do fine around 5 oz. a day, quality cheddar.  Check out pages 135-136 of the CNS book, all cheeses not highlighted in grey are best (the rest contain carb damage).Cory

BostonBully

Are you sure your pea protein isn't spiking your insulin?  If it is anything like the truenutrition gemma pea protein it has A LOT of Leucine in it.  The Gemma is 8.72 grams of leucine per 100 grams of powder, and CFM whey is 9 grams of leucine per 100 grams of powder.  We take 5 grams of leucine post workout to spike insulin so even taking one scoop or 30 grams is still going to give you 3 grams of leucine.  Assuming your pea protein is the same as the gemma pea protein.EDIT: So according to the NOW foods site is says a 33g serving of the pea protein has 2.244 grams of leucine. I'm not sure how much leucine it takes to spike insulin but I think of all the proteins I have read about you have found a pretty good one for an ULC meal replacement.

Are you sure your pea protein isn't spiking your insulin?  If it is anything like the truenutrition gemma pea protein it has A LOT of Leucine in it.  The Gemma is 8.72 grams of leucine per 100 grams of powder, and CFM whey is 9 grams of leucine per 100 grams of powder.  We take 5 grams of leucine post workout to spike insulin so even taking one scoop or 30 grams is still going to give you 3 grams of leucine.  Assuming your pea protein is the same as the gemma pea protein.EDIT: So according to the NOW foods site is says a 33g serving of the pea protein has 2.244 grams of leucine. I'm not sure how much leucine it takes to spike insulin but I think of all the proteins I have read about you have found a pretty good one for an ULC meal replacement.

I have actually stopped the pea protein, not due to any ill effects -- just switching things up.  I was going by a study I posted on the forums elsewhere that showed the Vegan proteins as having less of an insulin impact than animal sourced proteins (in rats).  That said, all protein spikes insulin.When I was using the pea protein, I had zero stalls.Cory

BostonBully

I'm not a vegetarian but I am trying to find a quick protein source that is low to no carb, and won't significantly spike my insulin.  This pea protein seems spot on, but I heard it taste fucking horrible.

I'm not a vegetarian but I am trying to find a quick protein source that is low to no carb, and won't significantly spike my insulin.  This pea protein seems spot on, but I heard it taste fucking horrible.

LOL.  It tastes like pureed chick peas.  Serious.  You get used to it, though.Cory

BostonBully

Why did you stop taking it?  Did you replace it with something?

Why did you stop taking it?  Did you replace it with something?

Yep, more eggs.Cory

Robert Gray
    Participant

LOL.  It tastes like pureed chick peas.  Serious.  You get used to it, though.Cory

+1.  I drank it while I was doing the slow carb diet (please don't throw things at me) and grew to really like it.  I'm drinking vanilla-flavored WPI right now, and now I find that I really miss the taste of pea protein with coffee and coconut milk in the morning.

Bronx

Guys I couldn't find the answer anywhere about Trutein Protein.Is the Isolate necessary or can I just go with the Trutein Protein or the Whey Protein?Thanks

dudsy

2nd that. I got some and couldnt handle the taste. I now use micellar casein to reach my protein totals during ULC portion. I put up a link (in this thread i think) about a study showing how various proteins affect insulin release.

monsoon
    Participant

I apologize if I haven't read this whole thread but I am a vegetarian and can only use whey and casein protein powders. Am I correct in stating that casein is good for early part of the ULC day because of the minimal insulin spike (but for the fact that it may have a few too many carbs) and that whey can be used post-workout because insulin spike at that point is okay?

tzanghi
    Participant

I apologize if I haven't read this whole thread but I am a vegetarian and can only use whey and casein protein powders. Am I correct in stating that casein is good for early part of the ULC day because of the minimal insulin spike (but for the fact that it may have a few too many carbs) and that whey can be used post-workout because insulin spike at that point is okay?

Your first assumption is incorrect.  Casein carries a good amount of leucine.  Some people think the slow release minimizes this effect, but I think the fact that it is already broken down causes more of a raise in insulin.  Whey post workout is good.  Meat and eggs should be used unless you're backloading or Carb Niting.  On another note, I have it on good word(a nutrition dude on another site whom I personally trust) that though pea+rice protein are complete together, they are not very bioavailable.  I believe Robb Wolf has spoken to the same effect on the subject.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 77 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Consume protein powder, without spiking insulin…

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?