For women, fat loss causing almost continuous 'period'

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi, I wanted to share a little bit of my experience of doing CNS with other women who may he going through what I am, hopefully this will offer some support to others who my be freaked out and concerned and ready to stop as I was initially and encourage them to stick with it.

I have found that as soon as my body begins turning to fat for fuel and I start going into ketosis I begin to bleed, sometimes it’s a little sometimes it’s a lot. During my first 9 days i was bleeding the whole time. I came on my period 3 days prior to the reorientation phase and was still bleeding 11 days later, the bleeding slowed right on my first carb nite morning, was completely stopped the day after carb nite (much to my relief). This was short lived (wahhhh wahhhh) and started again on the 2nd day back on low carb. This continued again quite heavily for another 4 days and started to slow the day before my next carb nite.

I realised it was connected to the diet and I wanted to know what was going on…

So I am not a doctor or anything of the sort but I have been doing some research on the subject online and so far I have come to the conclusion that this is normal and not dangerous and actually I am finding it a motivator as I know when my body is turfing out those unwanted fat cells and when my fat burning is starting to slow (perfectly before my carb nite boost).

I have found out that this may be because estrogen is stored in fat cells and when the body is emptying these fat cells the surge in estrogen in the system is causing the body to have a period. Apparently this is not dangerous at all and as the fat levels begin to stabilise, the period will stop.

There seems to be little information online about this and I am guessing there are more women out there like myself who are coping with this. I would really like some more understanding on the subject but for now I just wanted to let others know that I am out there. The thought of this continuing for 6 months is quite a scary one but I am determined to see this through. Carb nite is working beautifully for me so far and I am really enjoying seeing the changes in my body week by week 🙂

Anonymous
    Inactive

I wonder if this situation has any bearing on water retention as it would usually during a normal monthly cycle, I’m thinking not but I don’t know…

I had carb NITE on Saturday, it’s now monday and Aunty flow is visiting again…all negative aspects aside, it’s a sign I’m burning the fat cells 🙂

Steve Cauffiel
    Participant

I … have never heard that before. My girlfriend certainly doesn’t go through that and the lady’s logs I peruse to keep my GF up-to-date on what they’re doing and how it’s working for them have never posted up anything like that – thankfully they’re not shy about posting about TOM as that’s just another data point as far as I’m concerned.

I hope you’re right and that’s all it is (the estrogen thing) but man…. that would worry me if it were happening to my significant other. :-\

Might want to post this up in the Women Only forum for some other points of view too.

Steve

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Steve, thank you, I have now posted this in women only forum. Yes it’s quite strange and a bit worrying but ive found advice online that says its normal. If I can find the websites again I will link them 🙂

Robert Haas
    Participant

Only problems are 1) estrogen is not stored in fat cells.
    It binds with receptors then translocate to DNA

2) High estrogen does not trigger the menstrual part of the cycle.
    If you take a look at this: http://www.womenshealthct.com/your_health/routine_care/menstruation/menstruation_and_hormones
    it pretty much explains it all.
    And this: http://www.the-fertility-acupuncturist.com/images/FemaleHormones.png

It looks like when levels of both E2 & P drop back to a low level menstruation starts then stops when LH signals Estrogen to be produced.

Like you said, it’s temporary and symptoms can be relieved by a small dab of over the counter progesterone until signaling stabilizes.

I’m no doctor either so some fact checking is in order before attempting any self medication.

The eyes can't see what the mind doesn't understand.

Marina

Hi Amy,

Do you have any uptakes on this how are you doing now? I started carb night just about 2 weeks ago and find it strange that this is happening to me as well. I am wondering how long this will last.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi marina, unfortunately I fell off the wagon big time and ended up having about 5 full on carb nights….oops…managed to pull myself together now tho and have done 9 ulc days and looking forward to carb nite tomorrow.

Funnily enough I haven’t had any bleeding this time round…the only thing I’ve done differently than last time is cut down on my protein (I was overeating protein, this is why I quit last time because I just felt like I blew it) I have no idea if this connected…any insights would be greatly appreciated.

I will let you know if the bleeding begins again after carb nite 🙂 how are you getting on marina?

Amy

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

For women, fat loss causing almost continuous 'period'

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?