Glucose spikes during Carb Nite

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Lyle

I’m doing an experiment with Carb Nite to try to measure the impact on some metabolic factors. I’ve been practicing very low carb for over 4 years and wanted to see if Carb Nite would have any effect. Before going low carb I was pre-diabetic and while practicing Carb Nite I get very high glucose reading (not unexpected I guess) and I wonder how high others have seen these excursions? Is it largely due to the impact of the ketogenic diet in between the carb nites causing insulin resistance or is it more an indicator of my own insulin resistance and latent pre-diabetic/diabetic status that is only held at bay through the low carb diet? You can read about my experiment on my blog at lmhnutrition . com

cloudybrain
    Participant

My own personal belief.. I think if you’re overweight.. and inactive.. your carb nites should be every 2 weeks. If you’re overweight and active.. it should be every week. I was inactive.. and the carb nite every week wasn’t enough recovery time. But every 2 weeks, I’ve noticed results.

Kiefer suggests that after your carb nite, you want to go back to “normal” asap. That means, HIIT, and eating things that causes your insulin to become resistant.. so that your insulin doesn’t change much.. and keeps low.

Personally.. I find it difficult recently to do any kind of exercise.. so I spread out my carb nites. My carb nites are also not the same. So what I do.. is in 2 weeks.. I do a small carb nite (nothing big.. nothing fancy.. just something that keeps me satieted). Then two weeks after.. I go crazy. Then 2 weeks after that.. small carb nite.

This routine has been working for me. But for my ULC days, it’s grass fed butter.. and free range – pasture raised eggs.

cloudybrain
    Participant

So I’m wondering if you’re include your daily activity as a factor in your experiment.

Lyle

I’ve left exercise level (which has been at a fairly low level — walking, etc) constant both before and during the experiment to get a measure of only the spike in carbs about once a week to measure the impact.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Glucose spikes during Carb Nite

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?