Hey, New to Body.io – Rest Days!

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Ravi Mitra
    Participant

Find it too hard to have rest days even when i know i should, any reccomendations on ways in which people have over come training almost every day? Just started CBL again, been through the 10 days, on to day 3 of backloading.

Penny Danner
    Participant

On rest days, I have found it helpful to take some time for body work…as in foam roller and lacrosse ball in self-myofacial release type work. Or a gentle yoga class or just walking…..walking with a purpose (not a mosey and less than a brisk walk). “Today my workout is walking and foam rolling”.

You KNOW your body needs to recover and the gains happen in the repair. So trick yourself into a different type of “working out” on rest days.

Makoto Tomizawa
    Participant

I throw in a very light session between heavy days. Like body weight, 100 rep, technique, light cardio, etc… things that don’t interfere with recovery. Feels pretty good too and you don’t feel the whole “Shit, I didn’t train today” feel.

Training Log: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vuwHRdBaPVILxxLhXly_N1Ys66Hcwk4j-bM7nvKSLrI/edit?usp=sharing

Ravi Mitra
    Participant

Hey Penny and Yre674, Thanks for this. You’re right, the gains are made during rest. I really dont think i am getting enough in + training hard pretty much daily could be counter productive. Foam rolling and light work like cardio sounds good for them inbetween days. I’ll force it upon myself.

I think because i was a heavy guy before and lost so much weight over the years ive always been affraid that taking rest days will mean i wont get as lean as i can. I’ll keep carbs low as possible on them rest days too i guess?

Makoto Tomizawa
    Participant

I totally understand the fear of feeling like “not doing enough.” I was really fat for a long time in the past.
    It’s important to remember that we’re not training to burn/lose fat. We’re building/maintaining mass, while our diet and energy intake and expenditure (which, in a way training does play a role, but not huge) takes care of what and how much we lose/gain. In that case, not recovering is just counterproductive in every way, physiologically and psychologically.
    You’d be surprised how much of a difference it can make from balls-to-walls training daily to a few heavy-ass days with relaxed/light/off day.

As for carbs, it’s your preference. Some do better with some carbs, others don’t so you’ll have to experiment and find out what works best for you. For me, I seem to have no problem (actually do better) with energy and training being ultra low carb for an extended period of time, and will throw in a carb up meal only if I feel like it every few weeks.

Training Log: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vuwHRdBaPVILxxLhXly_N1Ys66Hcwk4j-bM7nvKSLrI/edit?usp=sharing

Ravi Mitra
    Participant

Hey Yre674, That really hit home. I took my first day off from heavy ass lifting yesterday and wow i feel so ready to hit the GYM. I did go for a good power walk and stretched out loads which was cool i guess.

Yeah i suppose you’re right, we all have to guage carb in take for ourselves. Im trying to test out having <100g carbs on backloads for a week and see what that does with around 2 or 3 ULC days. Then will slowly hike up carb intake as the weeks go on. Im still trying to find that sweet spot of carbs where im looking tighter in the mornings.

I do appreciate your response, Thank you!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hey, New to Body.io – Rest Days!

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?