HIIT – how many cycles – for guys

• This topic has 8 voices and 41 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • Author

Melvin McLain
    Participant

In the latest article..http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/hiit-can-get-you-huge-especially-if-you-are-meathead.html

Not exactly the latest... "Reprinted with permission from the Nov/Dec 2012 edition of Power Magazine."

Well it's been updated as of Nov 07, 2014, not sure what's been updated..

The webpage (probably more/different ads), not the article. Even the posted comments start on Jan 8, 2013.That explains the perceived variance - simply because it's old info.

Scope75

isn't there a point to the 4 mins and 30 seconds slow pace though? as opposed to a 50 sec?

It is more so for allowing yourself to achieve full recovery, so that you may "push" out more glycogen with heavy resistance during the 30 second bursts.

Yeh.. you wouldn't get that was 50 sec rest, 10 sec on then. Unless you're doing that HIIT cycle for a different purpose than pushing out glycogen stores.

Maybe you wouldn't but if you read my post about 10 on 50 rest and you'll see that only my last round drops off from the norm. Also if you think you'll be able to hit it balls out for 30 seconds that won't be happening. After 10-12 seconds balls out you'll be slowing down big time. Only other reason I can think of for doing HIIT other than depleting yourself is to build up your cardio and work output.

Richard Schmitt

isn't there a point to the 4 mins and 30 seconds slow pace though? as opposed to a 50 sec?

It is more so for allowing yourself to achieve full recovery, so that you may "push" out more glycogen with heavy resistance during the 30 second bursts.

Yeh.. you wouldn't get that was 50 sec rest, 10 sec on then. Unless you're doing that HIIT cycle for a different purpose than pushing out glycogen stores.

Maybe you wouldn't but if you read my post about 10 on 50 rest and you'll see that only my last round drops off from the norm. Also if you think you'll be able to hit it balls out for 30 seconds that won't be happening. After 10-12 seconds balls out you'll be slowing down big time. Only other reason I can think of for doing HIIT other than depleting yourself is to build up your cardio and work output.

Which is why I said "push" out for 30 seconds. I know I can't go full resistance for no more than 10-15 seconds without slowing down, and lightening the load, but still continue to go for a full 30. I do agree about HIIT being used for either depleting and/or strengthening work output

Penny Danner
    Participant

“full resistance”….how do you measure this since bikes are different (doing bike sprints)….and what if you are running sprints?

Richard Schmitt

"full resistance"....how do you measure this since bikes are different (doing bike sprints)....and what if you are running sprints?

The resistance comment would refer to stationary bikes in general. You could add hill sprints, parachute sprints, or sled drags to add resistance sprinting. Even Prowler pushes would aid in resistance HIIT.

Penny Danner
    Participant

"full resistance"....how do you measure this since bikes are different (doing bike sprints)....and what if you are running sprints?

The resistance comment would refer to stationary bikes in general. You could add hill sprints, parachute sprints, or sled drags to add resistance sprinting. Even Prowler pushes would aid in resistance HIIT.

So as high as it will go (stationary bikes)?  I have to use a bike that is a "machine" and it has resistance from 0 up to 26.  I'll be glad to get back to hill sprints sometimes....

Scope75

Which is why I said "push" out for 30 seconds. I know I can't go full resistance for no more than 10-15 seconds without slowing down, and lightening the load, but still continue to go for a full 30. I do agree about HIIT being used for either depleting and/or strengthening work output

Bro your really nit picking shit and I wasn't questioning your advise just making a statement that he shouldn't expect to be able to kill it for 30 seconds. There's more than one way to skin a cat.....

Richard Schmitt

So as high as it will go (stationary bikes)?  I have to use a bike that is a "machine" and it has resistance from 0 up to 26.  I'll be glad to get back to hill sprints sometimes....

As high as you can tolerate would be a good starter

Penny Danner
    Participant

okay, I've been doing that but I KNOW I'm not going as fast in the last 10 sec (of 30) as I am in the FIRST 10 sec of 30…but trying to push and give the same perceived effort.  I kinda like the idea of 10s/50s thing...kinda like Tabata that I used to do.

Scope75

okay, I've been doing that but I KNOW I'm not going as fast in the last 10 sec (of 30) as I am in the FIRST 10 sec of 30...but trying to push and give the same perceived effort.  I kinda like the idea of 10s/50s thing...kinda like Tabata that I used to do.

When I do longer balls out periods it feels like I'm just making recovery take longer and not working harder. On a airdyne 30 on would be about DEATH but I could do it on a spin bike. 10/50 is what I just started doing and I like it so far.

Richard Schmitt

okay, I've been doing that but I KNOW I'm not going as fast in the last 10 sec (of 30) as I am in the FIRST 10 sec of 30...but trying to push and give the same perceived effort.  I kinda like the idea of 10s/50s thing...kinda like Tabata that I used to do.

When I do longer balls out periods it feels like I'm just making recovery take longer and not working harder. On a airdyne 30 on would be about DEATH but I could do it on a spin bike. 10/50 is what I just started doing and I like it so far.

I've never used an Airdyne bike, they do look brutal for HIIT. The apartment complex I'm at has a couple cool machines, including a rower and stepper. A rower could almost mimic an Airdyne due to being a full body machine.

mr a j dickinson
    Participant

hiit the airdyne this morning.5 minute warm up, 10s on 50s off with around 50-60rpm resting and 110-120rpm full pelt.did 5 rounds. overall 10 minutes + warm down for 226 calories and 3.16 miles.this thing is awesome.

Scope75

hiit the airdyne this morning.5 minute warm up, 10s on 50s off with around 50-60rpm resting and 110-120rpm full pelt.did 5 rounds. overall 10 minutes + warm down for 226 calories and 3.16 miles.this thing is awesome.

Crazy....I do about the same and end up with around the same cals and distance traveled. These bikes must be all closely calibrated. Lol

cloudybrain
    Participant

the bikes at my gym sucks.. imo.. or maybe I have no concept of gear changes and momentum..In my slow pace.. I'm off at a lvl5 (on the resistance) which is nice and easy.. going at 65 rpm.. then when I switch to the 30 sec phase.. I jump to lvl16.. and Im pushing. I realize if I go too fast, I feel the resistance weakening.. but when I go too slow.. the resistance is really hard. Does anyone think it's because of momentum that this is happening?Heck I even jumped it up to lvl20.. and it seemed just as easy as lvl16.For my own personal goals.. I'll just keep the 4 mins off and 30 secs on cycle.. this rotation just seems like it was studied pretty well.

Anyways.. I'm gonna stray from the original topic.. and discuss some key points of HIIT that I found in my research about HIIT cycleshttp://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4004506/Which never verified what cycle they used.. but they mentioned a ratio of 2:1.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25395872this study used a 1 min off, 1 min on... for 12 cycles.. which is INSANE. But the main point is that two different HIIT procedures are more effective than just cycling on a bike.In my research, I find that the closer ratios are simply used to increase VO2 max.. as a higher benefit for athletes.And the final research I'd like to point out is this.. (really spend the time reading it.. I read the whole thing) granted that the number of subjects were small (38 participants.. and we mostly women.. as opposed to men and small number of minorities)http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3942093/suggesting that continuous workouts gives a better fat loss reduction than HIIT in people who are clinically obese, but doesn't deny the benefits that HIIT would provide for them. Here's the training regimine they use:HIIT"For weeks 5–12 (i.e., the majority of the intervention period) all participants performed six intervals on a work : recovery schedule of 60 : 120 seconds (Table 1). When combined with a six-minute warm-up/cooldown, total time commitment per session ranged from 20 to 24 minutes. Participants undertook exercise on three days each week (60 to 72 min/week total training time)."Continuous training:"..training was progressed from 30 minutes at an intensity of 50% of VO2peak in week one to 45 minutes at an intensity of 65% of VO2peak by the fifth week of the study (Table 1). Including warm-up/cooldown, total time commitment per session ranged from 36 to 48 minutes. Participants undertook exercise on three days each week (108 to 144 min/week total training time)."Results:"However, although HIIT has been suggested to be effective for the management of body fat levels [4, 8, 13, 14, 16, 17, 21, 23, 25–27], we have provided the first direct evidence that continuous aerobic exercise, but not HIIT, reduces total body fat and android fat in previously inactive, overweight adults. We thus conclude that while HIIT is a time-effective means of achieving improved fitness, it should not be promoted as a time-effective means of increasing fat loss and improving fat distribution for this population."They also proved the same benefits of HIIT found in other studies.. insulin sensitivity.. glucose control.. and skelatal muscle oxidative capacity."Overall, the results from this study show that continuous aerobic exercise training is effective for improving fat distribution independently of weight loss, but the HIIT intervention employed did not improve fat distribution. However, despite using 50–60% of the total training time employed in the CONT intervention, HIIT significantly improved work capacity in previously inactive and overweight adults."

Tracy Jarchow
    Participant

My simple understanding and the reasoning behind the HIIT cycles is the work cycle needs to take the body from aerobic metabolism to anaerobic metabolism. Then a person needs to actively rest for the body to “recover” or return to an aerobic metabolic state. Too short or too long of cycles or not 100% effort and it's just not optimal for glycogen depletion.Most folks can only do 100% power output for 15-30 seconds.Here is possibly an ultimate way to do HIIT:https://www.facebook.com/IFBBbenpakFANPage/posts/604428052902012https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVXLEUDpFtc

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

HIIT – how many cycles – for guys

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?