Macro confusion

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of budy budy 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Jenna saunders
    Participant

Hi AJ!

I have been following CNS now for 14 weeks. After having read multiple things, many conflicting, to keep macros/calories or not… I have been close to a 1:1 ratio. Maybe sometimes more fat than protein (more ketogenic). At the beginning of this journey, I weighed anywhere from 158-156 and had done IF for a month before hand and dropped from 161 lbs. I am currently following Bret Contreras Get Glutes, with some other Shockwave exercises mixed in. Weight training anywhere from 3-4 days (mostly entire body workouts) and HIIT two days (right after CN) I am on Month 6 with this routine. Lately I have noticed my weight going up… some more muscle definition, but still my weight is either balanced or at the same around 154. I know it isn’t wise for me to have a specific goal weight in mind with as much weightlifting as I am doing, as well as 154 with muscle looks much different than 154 with fat, but I really feel like I should be leaning out more than I am. I do not want to stress and want to just wake up and live and do this as a lifestyle. I feel as though some macro help could keep me focused, because right now I am wondering if I should be upping my intake of protein and lowering fat. I have been confused with ketogenic macros vs. appropriate macros for women doing CNS. I do remember you and Alex saying you need to have a goal… fat loss or weight gain on an episode of Herbody, but I guess I have been hoping both could happen simultaneously :) Any basic macro guidance would be super helpful if possible.

#402087 Reply
    Profile photo of andrea jengle
    andrea jengle
    Participant

Hi Jenna,
    This is really common question so thanks for asking. Firstly, the 1:1, protein:fat ratio seems to be the best starting point for most clients. However your total daily caloric intake goal for the week/day must be appropriately in a caloric deficit to achieve fat loss, but preferably not too low (some women tend to cut their calories too drastically). If you were my client I would examine your food logs first. If the caloric load was appropriate on your ULC days there are two things I would consider: (1) I would look are reducing some of the fat intake and eating slightly more protein (as you mentioned). (2) I would want to look at some data from your Carb Nite. Sometimes the issue is not on the ULC macros but with the Carb Nite itself.

I’m also not a big fan of fasting for too long. I have had female clients break stalls simply by adjusting their meal timing (to include breakfast, lunch, dinner and usually a PWO shake, or small snack) while leaving their overall caloric intake and macronutrient distribution the same.

You mentioned something else that is really important: You are measuring progress with the scale which will not provide an accurate picture of your actual body composition changes. Gaining muscle could be masking the fat loss when only looking at the scale. Progress pics, girth measurements, how your clothes fit and how you feel are really important factors to consider. I’ll be releasing an article on Body.IO about tracking progress very soon. I hope this helps.

#402753 Reply

Jenna saunders
    Participant

“Iā€™m also not a big fan of fasting for too long. I have had female clients break stalls simply by adjusting their meal timing (to include breakfast, lunch, dinner and usually a PWO shake, or small snack) while leaving their overall caloric intake and macronutrient distribution the same.”

It’s funny you mentioned the fasting. I had read your other post on this and I just started reintroducing a small breakfast back in. The past 3 months I was considering breaking my fast as having HWC, about 3-4 TBS in my coffee in the morning and then having lunch around 11 or 12. I did feel good adding a small breakfast and was less hungry through out the day. I have been able to manage my calorie count on myfitnesspal for the most part (1750) with a couple days out of the week getting up to 2000.
    To be in a deficit with calories, is this before exercise or after? I workout 5 days a week… 2 HIIT 2 days after CN and then 3 full body routine lifting days. I hear so many talk about not having enough calories or too many, just trying to find a middle ground seems tough, but I do feel mostly satisfied I think somewhere between 1800-2000.

I have also recently started taking CarbShock after I lift, hoping this could help as well? I am getting ready to take my 3rd set of pictures and do my 3rd set of measurements, I had forgotten to mention. I wait until after my cycle to do this :)

Yes my carb nites could be a little too much I guess. Will look at keeping them pretty lean in fat, high in carbs, maybe around 200-300 grams?

Thanks so much for you help and response! I really appreciate all that you and Alex do with herbody, it has been a HUGE help in getting myself motivated and in the direction I want to go, a healthy lifestyle change for me!!

#402786 Reply
    andrea jengle
    Participant

Hi Jenna,

I do believe that your question, “To be in a deficit with calories, is this before exercise or after?” is in reference to calculating your energy expenditure to include exercise to help determine your caloric needs & deficit. The fact of the matter is that energy expenditure during exercise is so marginal I would’t try to pick it apart too much. You may consume slightly more calories on something like leg day compared to an off day, and that’s fine, not every day needs to be or should be exactly the same. I like to look at my caloric intake for the entire week (including Carb Nite) to determine if I’m in a deficit overall, as total cals may vary slightly day to day.

Your trainings seems appropriate. I’d keep that the same. I can’t say for sure where your caloric deficit would be without knowing more stats, and even then it is a a matter of trail and error, it’s never just a simple mathematical equation. You mentioned you feel satisfied between 1800-2000 cals. I thought that was interesting since all science aside and just going by how I feel day to day, I am typically eating at maintenance when I go to bed feeling 100% satisfied. I know when I’m in a deficit because I feel just a tad hungry, nothing uncomfortable, just not 100% full. So that might be something to pay attention to when trying to gradually reduce calories. If I were you I’d clean up your Carb Nite (lower fat, 200-250 g of carbs) and then tackle the calories on ULC days if you are still stalling.

Keep me posted šŸ˜‰

#403079 Reply

Jenna saunders
    Participant

Thanks so much AJ!
    I will definitely keep you posted. For now I would say my goal is to stay at about 1700 on my ULC days and work on keeping my CN
    more clean, maybe something small and sweet to start, then a cleaner meal, then maybe a small dessert. What would be an example of a cleaner more mild CN? I don’t want to “under do it” either. I do tend to enjoy a beer or two, maybe I should cut that out? My husband and I were experimenting with tequila instead as it is a more pure form of alcohol? We just enjoy a beverage occasionally on a week night (after all I am a high school teacher!!) and then maybe some on a carb nite. I had been flirting with trying to CBL, but not too sure if that would help me to slim down…but I love sexy lean muscle :)
    I think the muscle is still coming regardless with CN.
    Again thanks and I will keep you posted!

#403156 Reply
    andrea jengle
    Participant

I discuss and give an example of a “cleaner” more controlled Carb Nite in this article

#403157 Reply
    andrea jengle
    Participant

oops. Looks like the link didn’t work. Trying again. #imnew #lol http://body.io/extremely-successful-not-extreme/

#403177 Reply

Jenna saunders
    Participant

Thanks AJ :)
    I had read that and thank you for reminding me.
    You may recognize me soon, as I hope to soon be a possible online client…
    I have some goals before Thanksgiving!!
    Enjoy your weekend!

#405636 Reply

Tobi Tanksley
    Participant

Thank you both, this thread is very helpful, along with the link to an example of a cleaner carbnite. I have been on carbnite for about 6 weeks, the first four weeks went very well, then the scale started creep up. I know the scale isn’t the end all be all, but as a 42 year old woman (5’8″) at 206lbs (approx. 38-42% bf) I think the scale should be accurate feedback. My carbnites have all been right around 400g carbs and not particularly “clean”. So I will be trimming those back and increasing my protein on the actual carb nite. My ULC carb days tend to be 1:1 as well. Eating fat is not an issue for me. Thanks again, Tobi

#405816 Reply
    andrea jengle
    Participant

Hi Tobi. I’d recommend less carbs on Carb Nite. Aim for approximately 250g. I just wrote a 3 part series about measuring body composition changes. It might be helpful. Part 1 & 2 are up, part 3 will come out this week.
    Part 1 http://body.io/measuring-body-composition-progress-part-1-options/
    Part 2 http://body.io/measuring-body-composition-progress-part-2-finding-works/

#406018 Reply

Tobi Tanksley
    Participant

Thank you very much. For a woman like me who can really throw down with food, the guidelines are very helpful. I am feeling great and my clothes are fitting better. I look forward to part 3 of your body composition articles.

#475900 Reply
    Profile photo of budy
    budy
    Participant

I have the same question and can’t find any info in the book. I’m 5’6″ female 175lbs. I just started CNS but have been doing low carb high fat and stopped losing. I’ve experimented w fat and protein ratios and calories from 1200 – 1600. I’m a little clueless. Could use help 😀

The keto calculator put me at 1500cal for maintenance so if I drop under 1300 it recommends 95 grams protein and 90 grams fat.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: Macro confusion

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Macro confusion

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

or    

Forgot your details?