My Carb Nite Solution Journey – Started 29.03.2015.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Destiny66
    Participant

After months of studying CNS, watching videos, reading articles, and losing a parent just 2 weeks ago … the time has come to move forward!

30.04.2015: Blood test results show Fasting Glucose just over ideal at 5.5 (ideal range 3.0 – 5.4 mmol/L), Total Cholesterol high at 7.3 (ideal range < 5.6 mmol/L), Triglycerides fine at 1.4 (ideal range < 1.5 mmol/L) … the blood test did not indicate good (HDL) or bad (LDL) cholesterol … everything else was fine i.e.: Blood Pressure … Weight 87.7 kg (193.3 lbs) … Height 5 ft 6 (167 cm).

04.04.2015: Today is Day 7.

Daily Nutrition based on entries into myfitnesspal: Calories 3,076, Carbohydrates 8, Fat 277, Protein 125.
    2 x Single Shot Espresso Coffee, 4 teaspoons of Coconut Butter, 175 grams of Dairy Butter, 150 grams of Tasty Cheese, 1 teaspoon of Chia Seed Oil, Post Workout Shake with 30 grams of Low Carb Whey Protein Powder, 1/2 teaspoon of Psyllium Husk and 1/4 teaspoon of Cinnamon, 4 Chicken Drumsticks (5 days a week) with Seasoning and Dried Herbs (keeping the Chicken Fat drippings for the 1/2 Stock Cube as a Soup), Atlantic Salmon Monday, Steak Friday, 2 Eggs, 1/2 teaspoon of Nutritional Yeast, Salt and Pepper, 1/2 Stock Cube, 4 tablespoons of Thickened Cream and 3.75 Litres of Water (1 gallon).

Notes: Zero Carbohydrate till 6:00 PM … Energy Levels to date are good.

Daily Exercise:
    AM: 5 Minute H.I.I.T. on Stationary Bike, 20 Seconds Sprint, 40 Seconds Recovery x 5 Sets … followed by 10 minutes H.I.I.T. Punching and Kicking Stationary Bag, 20 Seconds Work, 40 Seconds Recovery x 10 Sets.
    PM: 5 Minute H.I.I.T. on Stationary Bike, 20 Seconds Sprint, 40 Seconds Recovery x 5 Sets … followed by 15 minutes H.I.I.T. Slow Heavy Resistance, Single Body Part, Max. Rep. Range 4-6 (completed within 20 Seconds), 40 Second Recovery x 15 Sets.

Notes: Intense Exercise < 12 Minutes per Day.

1st Carb Nite Scheduled for 08.04.2015:
    Post Workout Shake to include 1/2 ripe Banana and 30 grams of Hydrate Powder (Maltodextrin 1st ingredient) … Dinner of 4 Chicken Drumsticks, followed by 50 grams of White Rice, 50 grams White Pasta, 100 grams White Potatoes, 50 grams Rice Derived Cereal (Coco Pops and Rice Bubbles) and 50-70 grams White Sourdough Bread … Full Cream Milk with Cereal, Honey Soy Sauce with Rice and Pasta, Fig Jam with Bread. Dessert options: Natural Confectionery Company Jelly Snakes, Milky Way Chocolate Bars, M&M’s Candy Coated Chocolate Eggs.

Mindset:
    Focus on Health … The Carb Nite is a beneficial part of the program, not the focus.

Thanks,

Kind Regards,
    David
    (Australia)

Destiny66
    Participant

Tuesday 07.04.2015: Today is Day 10.

Quick update:

As the day progressed Saturday 04.04.2015, Day 7 (the day of my first post) I started feeling fatigued … perhaps 2 x H.I.I.T. Sessions per day, Resistance H.I.I.T. and Punch Bag H.I.I.T was taking its toll.

Perhaps I needed a Carb Nite due to lowering levels of energy.

Looked up the Kiefer video “Should You Workout During the Prep Phase on Carb Back-Loading and Carb Nite” and he states that doing HIT training during Prep Phase can accelerate the Prep Phase and shorten it by up to 3 days.

And it’s possible the AM & PM training sessions had the potential for over training.

Decided to remove the AM session completely.

For this week a PM session of Stationary Bike H.I.I.T. followed by Resistance H.I.I.T. 3 days a week. Alternate days Stationary Bike H.I.I.T. followed by Punch Bag H.I.I.T. Sunday rest day.

Saturday 04.04.2015: Day 7: 1st Carb Nite:
    Nutrition based on entries into myfitnesspal: Calories 3,361, Carbohydrates 403, Fat 141, Protein 110.
    Post Workout Shake with Hydrate, 1/2 teaspoon of Psyllium Husk, 1/4 teaspoon of Cinnamon and 1 large ripe banana, 50 grams Rice Derived Cereal (Coco Pops and Rice Bubbles) with 100 ml Full Cream Milk, 4 Chicken Drumsticks, 50 grams of White Rice with Tbsp. Honey Soy Sauce, 50 grams White Pasta with Tbsp. Honey Soy Sauce, 300 grams White Potato Mash with 4 Tbsp. Thickened Cream and 50 grams Butter, 60 grams White Sourdough Bread with Tbsp. Fig Jam, Tbsp. Manuka Honey and 25 grams Butter, 50 grams Natural Confectionery Company Jelly Snakes, 12 gram Milky Way Chocolate Bar, 50 grams M&M’s Candy Coated Chocolate Eggs, 25 gram Moser Roth Caramel Chocolate bar.

Since then energy levels feel good.

Thanks,

Kind Regards,
    David
    (Australia)

Destiny66
    Participant

Wednesday 08.04.2015.

Day 11.

Noticed hunger levels dropped. 2nd day of one PM training session. Energy levels good. Mind is clear.

Days nutrition logged into myfitnesspal:
    Calories 2,250, Carbs 0, Fat 206, Protein 88.
    3 x Single Shot of Espresso Coffee, 1 teaspoon of Chia Seed Oil, 3 teaspoons of Coconut Butter, 150 grams of Dairy Butter, 125 grams of Tasty Cheese, 4 Chicken Drumsticks with Seasoning and Dried Herbs (keeping the Chicken Fat drippings to have with stock cube), 2 Eggs, Dried Herbs, Salt and Pepper, 1/2 Stock Cube and 3.75 Litres of Water (1 gallon).

PM training session:
    Stationary Bike H.I.I.T. (5 Sets, 20 second sprint, 40 second recovery)
    Resistance H.I.I.T. – Legs (4-6 Reps, 5 Sets each of Squats, Calf Raise, Deadlift)

Thanks,

Kind Regards,
    David
    (Australia)

Destiny66
    Participant

Thursday 09.04.2015.

Day 12.

Nutrition as logged into MFP: Calories 1,746, Carbs 0, Fat 153, Protein 82.
    3 x Single Shot of Espresso Coffee, 1 teaspoon of Chia Seed Oil, 1 teaspoon of Coconut Butter, 125 grams of Dairy Butter, 100 grams of Colby Cheese, 4 Chicken Drumsticks with Seasoning and Dried Herbs, 2 Eggs, Dried Herbs, Salt and Pepper and 2.5 Litres of Water.

PM training session:
    Stationary Bike H.I.I.T. – (5 Sets, 20 second sprint, 40 second recovery)
    Mixed Martial Arts H.I.I.T. – (10 Sets, 20 second work, 40 second recovery)

Notes: Energy levels good. Mind is clear.

Thanks,

Kind Regards,
    David
    (Australia)

• This reply was modified 9 years ago by Destiny66.

Destiny66
    Participant

Friday 10.04.2015.

Day 13.

MFP Totals: Calories 2,578, Carbs 0, Fat 243, Protein 94

PM training session:
    Stationary Bike H.I.I.T. – (5 Sets, 20 second sprint, 40 second recovery)
    Resistance H.I.I.T. – Shoulders and Arms (4-6 Reps, 5 Sets each: Lat Raise and Shoulder Press – Bicep Curl and Tricep Extension)

Notes: Energy levels good. Brain is good.

Kind Regards,
    David

Richard Schmitt

Would you like this moved to the Member’s Logs in the CNS thread?

Destiny66
    Participant

Hey BT,

I’ll assume it’s for a good reason … go for it.

Thanks,

Kind Regards,
    David

Destiny66
    Participant

Saturday 11.04.2015.

Day 14.

Nutrition from wake up to 5pm: Calories 372, Carbs 0, Fat 39, Protein 6.
    2 x Single Shot of Espresso Coffee, 1 teaspoon of Chia Seed Oil, 1 teaspoon of Coconut Butter, 25 grams of Dairy Butter, 25 grams of Tasty Cheese and 3.75 Litres of Water (1 gallon).

PM training session:
    Stationary Bike H.I.I.T. – (10 Sets, 20 second sprint, 40 second recovery)

2nd Carb Nite.
    Nutrition from 5pm to 11pm: Calories 3,488, Carbs 349, Fat 178, Protein 120.
    Post Workout Shake: 40 grams Whey Protein, 60 grams Hydrate, 1/2 teaspoon of Psyllium Husk, 1/4 teaspoon of Cinnamon with 1 large ripe Banana, 50 grams Rice Derived Cereal (Coco Pops and Rice Bubbles) with 100 ml Full Cream Milk, 235 grams Boerwors Sausage, 50 grams Mixed Lettuce, Tbsp. Olive Oil, tsp. Balsamic Vinegar, 120 grams White Sourdough Bread with 120 grams Truss Tomato, 90 grams Avocado, 50 grams Sopressa Salami, 5 grams Fresh Basil, Salt and Pepper, 100 grams Mrs Mac Beef Cheese and Bacon Pie, 80 grams Cheezels, 25 grams Natural Confectionery Co. Party Mix, 50 grams M&M Speckled Easter Eggs and 15 gram Cadbury Caramello Mini Chocolate Bar.

Totals for the day: Calories 3,860, Carbs 349, Fat 217, Protein 126.

Notes: The first two weeks of the program have been very easy to apply. Enjoyed the first hour or so of Carb Nite then it becomes a struggle. Energy levels and the brain are good.

Kind Regards,
    David

Destiny66
    Participant

Sunday 12.04.2015. – Day 15.

Calories 2,327, Carbs 7, Fat 215, Protein 85.
    2 x Single Shot of Espresso Coffee, 1 teaspoon of Chia Seed Oil, 4 teaspoons of Coconut Butter, 162.5 grams of Dairy Butter, 25 grams Tasty Cheese, 75 grams Colby Cheese, 4 Chicken Drumsticks with Seasoning and Dried Herbs, 2 Eggs, Salt and Pepper, 1/2 Stock Cube, 1.25 Litres of Sparkling Mineral Water, 1.25 Litres Filtered Tap Water, Multivitamin, Zinc, Vitamin D3, Fish Oil, Vitamin E, Garlic Oil and Magnesium. (had forgotten to list Vitamins on day one)

Rest Day (No Resistance or H.I.I.T.).

Notes: Energy levels good. Brain good. Noticing skin is very clear, haven’t had the usual blemishes for the past week, complexion appears less oily in general.

Regards,
    David

Destiny66
    Participant

Monday 13.04.2015. – Day 16.

Hi all,

after the first 2 weeks I reckon I have the CNS program pretty much down pat … so rather than bore you all with very similar daily updates, I’ll be back around the first week of July with a follow up on my progress (including the scheduled blood work results and any other doctor related info like weight, etc.).

By then (93 days since starting CNS) I should be “shredded” and ready to get “huge” on CBL, ha!

All the best to my fellow humans on the body.io forum!

regards,
    David

Destiny66
    Participant

End of week 7.

7th Carb Nite completed, Energy levels fine, Skin is very clear, Fitness and Strength gains are good and Brain is great!

Modifications:

Some weeks training AM & PM. Training is still based around H.I.I.T. and increased to 30 minutes. i.e.: 20 seconds Work followed by 40 seconds Rest, using Stationary Bike, Weights or M.M.A. Bag. x 30 Sets

Carb Nites are much cleaner than the first few weeks, the novelty wears off, mainly pasta, rice and potatoes, also sticking mostly with Carbs and not too much fat, always washing it down with a bottle of Wine, and some Jelly Confectionery. My last Carb Nite had over 5,000 Calories and 500 grams of Carbs in my 6 hour window!

After a few weeks I was completely over having Chicken Drumsticks every night, now having meat 3 times a week, Salmon Monday, Chicken Drumsticks Wednesday and Steak Friday, every other night a 2 Egg omelette with 100-200 grams of Broccoli or Brussels Sprouts, with Butter and Cheese.

Eased up on scoffing down raw Butter for the fun of it. Again, the novelty wears off.

Cycling weekly on and off with de-caf Coffee and the standard version.

The inclusion of green veg has increased my Carb intake but always well below 30 grams per day.

Never feeling hungry and this week have been getting by til midday on 2 x espresso Coffee and Water til midday.

Seems to be all about structure, Sunday night is prep night for the coming week, chopping up all my veg and placing in air tight containers.

After week 7 it’s become routine, no need to log into MFP or give a second thought about Macros!

3 month GP follow up is due July for blood work etc.

regards,
    David

Destiny66
    Participant

End of week 8.

As per ALL my fellow Carb Nite Humans, I always look forward to Carb Nite, and after being easily below 20 grams of Carbs all week long, training AM & PM, it’s a much needed psychological lift for the coming week, both mentally and physically!

Though I have to say after the first meal or two it becomes hard work. And by nights end I dread my next Carb Nite! But that only lasts for a day or two, hehehe.

As per my last entry, my Carb Nites are pretty clean, always starting off with steak, then pasta in a tomato based sauce, rice with honey soy, a bottle of red wine spread out over the night, then closing off with 50-100 grams each of jelly confectionery and M&M’s. Didn’t even get to my beloved potatoes!

As per usual feeling pretty good, feeling fit, athletic and the mind is great!

This week added salami to my omelettes and snacks, and zucchini is the veggie of the week for the sake of change.

After 2 months it appears to have become my basic every day food template. Haven’t been too social so no fear of compromising the program, thought I’m at a point where I doubt it would even matter.

Actually really close to throwing in a second Carb Nite or moving to CBL!

regards,
    David

Destiny66
    Participant

My 3 month update.

While I’ve had great results and feel good, I still struggle with the foods we all look forward to on our beloved Carb Nite.

Having to avoid them all week can at times be a challenge!

I’d hoped part of this experiment would help me rely less on those foods but unfortunately my taste buds (and thoughts) crave them!

So for a few weeks I’d decided to drop all carbs, sticking to essentially meat, eggs, dairy, coconut butter, coffee and water.

Less than 10 grams of Carbohydrates per day!

When day 7 comes along, I don’t feel the need for a “Carb Nite” and don’t seem to crave junk or sweet food.

I understand the downside of being ULC for long periods of time, in my case Zero Carb, so every Friday night I add broccoli and salad to my dinner meat, bacon to my lunchtime egg omelette, nuts and yogurt with afternoon tea, a low carb protein bar and red wine late in the evening as my once week indulgence … staying pretty much below 50 grams of carbs for the day.

It’s less a Carb Nite and more a Calorie Nite, indulging a little extra but still leaning towards the lower carb options.

Training has been cut back dramatically. 4 times a week, with 3 days off … a 20 minute HIIT session before dinner, 30 second work, 30 second rest, 20 sets. (actual exercise is 10 minutes)

The results have been profound – physically and mentally!

Perhaps I can do a “Carb Nite” once a month if I feel the need.

So I guess what I’m doing is no longer applicable to CBS.

On that note, all the best,

kind regards,
    David

• This reply was modified 8 years, 9 months ago by Destiny66.
    • This reply was modified 8 years, 9 months ago by Destiny66.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

My Carb Nite Solution Journey – Started 29.03.2015.

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?