New to Carb Nite

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Tim Dubay
    Participant

So I have been messing with carb nite some but I feel like I am missing something cause it does not seem like I am getting much results.

I am 27 male, 5, 10 185 pounds, probably around 20% body fat. Though I have a fair amount of muscle.

I weight lift ( I switch between high volume and low volume ) 3-4 times a week tues, thur, wed, sat and I also do group classes for cardio which are hit mon-fri-sat morning sometimes or wed.

I really do not know if I am just eating too little or not enough during my non carb days or if I am eating the wrong stuff or timing it wrong or too much on my carb nite.

Here is a example of a normal day.

Wake up at 5 am around 5 30 I down a single serving a mct oil ( just started this ) and then have first meal at noon which was today 1 pound of ground turkey 93% 4 slices of bacon and two whole eggs. Then later in the evening after I eight lift I would have a scope of protein powder after getting home and lets say two fatty pork chops with some broccoli.

Carb nite could be something like this post weight lifting I get home have a shake mixed with a banana. Then have some lean chicken with maybe 1 cup or dry rice. A two hours later have a large pastry with some low fat frozen yogurt. After that have some 3-4 large cookies with some cheesecake or some doughnuts like maybe 3 along with the cookies.

Richard Schmitt

You’re doing too much while on CNS, meaning you’re training WAY too much.

Makoto Tomizawa
    Participant

it does not seem like I am getting much results.

^ “Results” is a very vague term, it’s hard to know how you’re exactly defining “results.”

I don’t think you’re eating enough to sustain everything you do during the ultra low carb portion of the week.

Training Log: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vuwHRdBaPVILxxLhXly_N1Ys66Hcwk4j-bM7nvKSLrI/edit?usp=sharing

Tim Dubay
    Participant

So what just stick to doing weight lifting then?

Results as in seeing a cut in fat. I do not seem to feel like I have a lack of energy.

I guess what I look at is I am training to hard but not eating enough in general during ULC days so the combo of the both could be stalling me out then?

• This reply was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by Tim Dubay.

Makoto Tomizawa
    Participant

What does your cardio class look like?

You could try just adding carbs more often, but in less amounts. Not sure how you’re lifting is set up, but just get some carbs the night before a big/high volume lifting day.

Training Log: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vuwHRdBaPVILxxLhXly_N1Ys66Hcwk4j-bM7nvKSLrI/edit?usp=sharing

Tim Dubay
    Participant

My cardio class is usually HIT with some full body weight lifting, like lighter weight and higher volume.

Makoto Tomizawa
    Participant

So you’re essentially resistance training 6 days out of the week, three of them being a high-intensity cardio-type.

Like I said before, with the amount you’re doing you might want to add in more frequent carb feedings. Or cut back on some of the training (preferably the cardio stuff).

Tim Dubay
    Participant

I guess I could try twice a week carb loads then try just cutting back training amounts.

Melvin McLain
    Participant

One thing to remember is that calories do indeed count.

Rule #1: If nutrient intake meets or exceeds the body’s expenditures, there’s no reason to access fat stores. There is no exception to this rule.

The body does not, cannot, under any circumstances, create its own fuel. While efficiency may vary slightly (for whatever reason), the body can only use nutrient intake and/or stored fat as fuel.

Overtraining can make you feel exhausted, and even result in muscle loss. But it cannot create extra calories.

If you’re not losing weight within a week or so, refer to Rule #1.

Food for thought. 🙂

Makoto Tomizawa
    Participant

I guess I could try twice a week carb loads then try just cutting back training amounts.

You could try that, although I’m not a huge fan of twice a week method. From personal experience, it kind of put me in that carb/fat-burning “purgatory” where I don’t even know if I’m running on carbs or fat, and without fail I would feel like shit on my first session of the week. I’m sure it’s highly individual (as everything is) and I could have been backloading at a not so optimal time (in regards to performance), but it might be better to do 3-4 backloads a week (if backloading), or just sticking to a single carb up at least a week apart (of course you’d need to cut some training back).

Also, I would pick a primary goal and work towards that first. If you want to lose fat first (which to me seems to be your goal), then 1 carb up with less training would probably be better. You probably won’t gain “mass,” but you won’t lose them either and as long as intensity of your training is kept up, it’s very likely you’ll gain strength (which later down the road will set you up at a very good place for mass gain).

Tim Dubay
    Participant

I think I am just going to start fresh next week. I am going to cut back on cardio to maybe one HIT training class on Tuesday and add stick to just weight lifting every other day. I also want to just stick to a clean carb load with white rice, white potatoes and like parsnips.

If not I think I will switch it up too backloading but just make sure my calorie count is lower for more of cutting.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New to Carb Nite

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?