Protein powder to increase protein macros

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Debra Hansin
    Participant

Hi everyone. I’m a 45 YO female. I’m new and have just bought the Carb Nite book and am reading it and catching up on the forums. I had my 2nd Carb Nite this past Saturday and felt it went well. I am trying to keep my carbs around 350 or so on Carb Nite. This past Saturday I gained 1.2 lbs. the next day and am down .2 today. I was doing Atkins previously. I have lost 23 lbs. since Feb. but I know some it was muscle since I had surgery on both feet (Feb. & May) and was actual nonweight bearing for a bit. That actual little weight loss in Feb. helped motivate me to get my butt in gear and loose this weight.

So I do track my macros. I have always been doing HFLC. I weight usually between 165-167. The lowest number I’ve gotten was to 163. I usually trying to keep my fat grams over 100 and my protein around 70-80. It fluctuated on days. So I was going to try to either go 50/50 fat and protein or try to go higher on protein from reading what some of the other girls have had better success at.

I have a harder time getting in that extra protein or worried about eating too much protein at one time. Would it be okay if I got a low carb whey protein powder to drink for the extra protein? I do HIIT about 2 times a week and will probably add some light weights also for toning.

Thanks for the advice!
    ~D

Steve Cauffiel
    Participant

Definitely. Instead of paying for ready-made drinks (as they’re typically more expensive and sometimes flavored/sweetened with stuff that can stall) consider getting some no-carb protein powder and mixing your own instead. The vanilla mixes easily and isn’t an overwhelming taste; my son liked the cookies and cream and though I haven’t personally had it I may give it a go next time around. Depending on how you’re doing with your diet and whatnot, you could also grab a bottle of MCT oil; some protein with a bit of oil for fat makes for an easy breakfast shake to start your day and continue the overnight fat burning (if you’re not doing the bulletproof coffee thing) though it may take a bit of getting used to the oil.

Debra Hansin
    Participant

I picked up some Isopure from GNC. I got the chocolate one and the vanilla. They had a special for buy one get one at 50% off. I think I’m only going to use 1 scoop instead of 2. It’s low carb so that works for me. I also do coconut oil and HWC in my coffee in the mornings. I guess the MCT oil would mix better if I put it in a protein shake instead of coconut oil, I’m assuming? I had tried my son’s left over whey protein powder but it was a bit higher carb and sometimes putting in a tablespoon of HWC to make it a bit smoother which was nice. 🙂

Makoto Tomizawa
    Participant

MTC oils are not necessary in my opinion. They’re really geared for serious athletes, and even for them, it’s not always advised.
    If you have coconut oil, I would just stick to that since MCT oil lacks lauric acid, which in essence is the good stuff. It’ll also save money.

Training Log: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vuwHRdBaPVILxxLhXly_N1Ys66Hcwk4j-bM7nvKSLrI/edit?usp=sharing

Steve Cauffiel
    Participant

I just mentioned MCT oil in case CO/HWC wasn’t being used in coffee (hadn’t been mentioned to that point I don’t think). I don’t drink coffee so need to pick up some fats somewhere and MCT mixes fairly well with protein shakes.

Debra Hansin
    Participant

That’s good to know about the MCT oil in case I ever need it. I’m pretty sure that my hubby will never go LCHF but he doesn’t drink coffee either so it’s good to know it’s an option.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Protein powder to increase protein macros

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?