Shockwave Alternative…5×5?

• This topic has 4 voices and 10 replies.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

John A Bending
    Participant

I've been running shockwave for a while and I'm looking to change up my workout.  Have any of you tried or have an opinion on the 5×5 workout?  I'm sure it gives you a good full body workout but my concern is it doesn't focus much on smaller muscles.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Unless you are a competitive bodybuilder, you don't need to focus on small muscles.  Big exercises will hit them.  I'd actually recommend a 5×5 workout over shockwave.

John A Bending
    Participant

Thanks for the tip.  The most common 5×5 workout I've found is 3 days a week with 2 different workouts.  (Squat, Bench, Rows & Squat, Overhead Press, Deads)  Do you recommend that or would you use different lifts or a different schedule?

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Thanks for the tip.  The most common 5x5 workout I've found is 3 days a week with 2 different workouts.  (Squat, Bench, Rows & Squat, Overhead Press, Deads)  Do you recommend that or would you use different lifts or a different schedule?

This depends on your training experience.  How long have you been lifting?

John A Bending
    Participant

I've been lifting on and off for about 25 years.  Lifting consistently for the past 6 months or so.  Definitely not a beginner.

Penny Danner
    Participant

Following.  I am looking at other options for the spring too.  Been doing shockwave since last June and ready for a change as soon as my broken foot is healed.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I've been lifting on and off for about 25 years.  Lifting consistently for the past 6 months or so.  Definitely not a beginner.

In that case you could really do anything you want.  I would not recommend a full body split for you though because you are so experienced.  I'd do an upper/lower split.  Something like this:MondayDeadlift 5x5Front Squat 5x5Leg Curls 3x10Leg Extensions 3x10WednesdayOverhead Press 5x5Chin Up 5x5Incline Bench Press 3x10Upright Row 3x10FridaySquat 5x5Good Morning 5x5Leg Press 3x10Hip Thrust 3x10SaturdayBench Press 5x5Rowing Variation 5x5Dips 3x10Face Pulls 3x10You can toss in a few sets of abs one or two days of the week.

John A Bending
    Participant

In that case you could really do anything you want.  I would not recommend a full body split for you though because you are so experienced.  I'd do an upper/lower split.  Something like this:MondayDeadlift 5x5Front Squat 5x5Leg Curls 3x10Leg Extensions 3x10WednesdayOverhead Press 5x5Chin Up 5x5Incline Bench Press 3x10Upright Row 3x10FridaySquat 5x5Good Morning 5x5Leg Press 3x10Hip Thrust 3x10SaturdayBench Press 5x5Rowing Variation 5x5Dips 3x10Face Pulls 3x10You can toss in a few sets of abs one or two days of the week.

Great, thanks for the help. 

John A Bending
    Participant

Following.  I am looking at other options for the spring too.  Been doing shockwave since last June and ready for a change as soon as my broken foot is healed.

Hope it heals up quick for ya...I had surgery for a rotator cuff tear a couple years ago from playing hockey, sucked to be off the weights.

Brian M Eckstrom
    Participant

I've been running shockwave for a while and I'm looking to change up my workout.  Have any of you tried or have an opinion on the 5x5 workout?  I'm sure it gives you a good full body workout but my concern is it doesn't focus much on smaller muscles.

I just recently got off 5x5 and back on shockwave. 5x5 is definitely a "good workout", my biggest problem was making sure I was eating enough to sustain that type of training though. it'll whoop you if you under eat. also, just make sure your form is good starting out, else you'll probably end up with an injury once you start pushing it. and start lighter than you'd think you should - that is, if you decide to do it. just as a frame of reference, I used it from 185 to 300 for squats until I couldn't progress, so if you're past 300 already just disregard this post.

Penny Danner
    Participant

Hope it heals up quick for ya...I had surgery for a rotator cuff tear a couple years ago from playing hockey, sucked to be off the weights.

Thanks....I was able to start putting a little weight on it yesteday.  I've just been modifying SW since I broke it.  Was able to do Shoulder Press with the bar (vs DBs) yesterday and was so happy!!!  Bench stayed the same but no Xs for me.  Back is same minus Deads and of course Leg day is the worst of the modifications.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Shockwave Alternative…5×5?

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?