Starting from scratch

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Kevin

Hi,

I would like to restart CNS with a different approach. I wanted to outline it here in order to get some feedback.

I am 5’8 180 lbs and I currently don’t excersize but consider myself lightly active. I am attempting to do 30 g carbs, 135 g protien and 170 g of fat. That’s 2150 calories a day.

1. How does this look?

2. Should I also stay under 2150 calories on the day of carb nite or should I shoot for a particular macro percentage on that day?

3. What should my macros be in the day of the carb nite before 4 or 6 pm?

Any feed back will be greatly appreciated.

Kevin Lawson
    Participant

I’m searching the forum for the answers but if anyone would like to respond it would be greatly appreciated. The main question is number 3:

3. What should my macros be in the day of the carb nite before 4 or 6 pm?

I think I have the answer for the first two but any response would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Martha Richards
    Participant

I think it’s best to just keep your ratio the same as when you’re aiming for ketosis, then in the evening you can do the carbs (i.e. ketosis in the AM, carbs post workout). I’d read ketoclarity as a quick “how to” on finding your ketosis macronutrient ratios. I am 5’7″, 150lbs and do about 40g of carbs, 55g protein, 150g fat. I do think that your protein amount is a little high… and then I’d also add some more working out in there for your health. 🙂 Oh, and don’t go crazy w/ calorie amounts – eat enough to be full, don’t over eat, and don’t starve yourself.

Kevin Lawson
    Participant

I have the keto clarity book. On CNS more protein is allowed than when doing nutritional ketosis. My protien might be a little high. I agree with that. I want to start there and see how I do. I’m tracking so if needed I will lower it. I need to find creative ways to get enough fat and not over do the carbs and protien. The food I eat doesn’t taste that great and I eat the same things all the time. I’m thinking about getting the transforming recipes books.

Thank you

Martha Richards
    Participant

Well CNS may “allow” you more protein… but your body will have to be your guide! That’s the problem with all this stuff – not everyone is the same. So starting where you are at is a decent idea, just be willing to tweak as needed! Good luck, and yeah, get a cookbook! It’s not that hard to eat like this but getting tips is always nice. 🙂

Kevin

Thank you Martha you really helped me out. I just have a couple of issues that I’m still a little confused about and then I will be all set.

1. So I’m basically eating fat to satiety and not worrying about eating too many calories? I was planning to stay under 2150 calories a day.

2. On the seventh day am I tracking my macros and if so am I aiming for a particular percentage of carbs, fat and protien?

3. I know the seventh day should be low fat, high carb, high protein in the evening and keto in the morning and afternoon. Should I still be trying to stay under 2150 calories for that day?

I’m contemplating keeping protien below 100. Keifer recommended that if you are not training. I will also try to get back into working out.

Thanks again Martha

Martha Richards
    Participant

Oh boy… I’m not so sure I’m the one to ask about that, but I’ll tell you what I think. For 1: I’d say that sounds good. Trying to keep a count of calories is okay, but probably shouldn’t be your focus. Getting the macros set up so that you feel decent, feel satiated, and have energy (obviously after the first 1-2 weeks, as switching will tire you out) are the primary goal. For 2: I’d probably try to keep the ratios the same as keto days for the morning of the carb night. I use livestrong to give me my percentages, it’s very useful and very easy. Obviously other calorie counting apps would probably do the same thing (if you have a preference). For 3: I really have no idea. Perhaps someone else can aid in that. From what I understand though (I’m really going more towards CBL rather than CNS), it’s probably not necessary to worry about the calories… but don’t gorge to the point of feeling ill, you know?

Kevin

Ok I’ll start there and adjust as I get more info.

Thanks again this is just I needed.

Makoto Tomizawa
    Participant

1) Calories matter, you can’t lose fat on a surplus. I’d at least keep an eye on how much you eat. How much exactly, that you have to experiment on your own.
    2) Just stay ULC until your start eating carbs. Just don’t overdo it and end up in a surplus at the end of the week.
    3) Same point as #2.

The crucial part of this diet is that you’re in a deficit during the ULC days. Normally, as long as you don’t go gorging on food on your Carb Nite, it still keeps you at a deficit in terms of weekly calories. I would also advise you to increase your protein. Usually you’d want to get at least 0.8 grams/lbs of body weight, which in your case would be around 145 grams. And if you’re going to start working out again, further decreasing your protein is asking for trouble.

A good starting point would be 0.8~1 gram of protein/lbs of body weight, at least 0.5 gram of fat for every gram of protein, and <30 grams of usable carbs. Adjust from there depending on your energy levels throughout the week.

Training Log: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vuwHRdBaPVILxxLhXly_N1Ys66Hcwk4j-bM7nvKSLrI/edit?usp=sharing

Kevin

@yre674

Thanks for the reply

Did you say 0.5 grams of fat per gram of protein? I thought the fat should be equal or greater than the protien?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Starting from scratch

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?