Too much protein?

• This topic has 3 voices and 4 replies.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Nicholas Alonzo
    Participant

So I have 4 meals a day spaced out about 4-5 hours because of you know the whole trying to keep MPS high.I try to have around 30grams of protein at each meal.This works out all fine and all but my last meal which is my backload is usually like 60-80 or more grams protein because of all the food i want to backload and my daily protein ends up like 1.1-1.5 grams per pound of bodyweight. Im not sure how to correct this enless i eat like straight carbs like potatoes in my backload.I usually have things like cereal and milk or a pb sandwich along with some potatoes that along with my pwo shake = way too much protein.

TCB
    Participant

So 4 meals a day, 30g protein per meal is 120g protein. I'll assume that isn't including a shake as a meal, so that's 150g protein.  If you weigh somewhere in the neighborhood of 150-170ish, I'd say that's good and to not worry much about the trace proteins from the other foods that add up. Just adjust calories for progress.If you weigh <150, perhaps try dropping each meal to 20-25g protein each and that'll give you a little more room.Overall, probably not a huge deal anyway, especially since you're backloading.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

1.5 g/lb of protein is fine.  While you do not “need” that much protein, many people have had a lot of success with very high protein intake like that.  The way to correct this is to do what TCB suggested.  Instead of trying to eat 30 g of protein every 4 hours or whatever drop it down to 20.  Another option is to skip one of those meals and just have coffee with cream or a handful of nuts.  You don't need a constant stream of protein.  That's muscle and fiction.

Nicholas Alonzo
    Participant

So 4 meals a day, 30g protein per meal is 120g protein. I'll assume that isn't including a shake as a meal, so that's 150g protein.  If you weigh somewhere in the neighborhood of 150-170ish, I'd say that's good and to not worry much about the trace proteins from the other foods that add up. Just adjust calories for progress.If you weigh <150, perhaps try dropping each meal to 20-25g protein each and that'll give you a little more room.Overall, probably not a huge deal anyway, especially since you're backloading.

Oh sorry what i was trying to say is that my first three meals which are ULC meals and usually relatively small 200-300 calories have about 30 grams protein but that my backload meal (my 4th meal) which is usually a gaint 1500+ calorie meal winds up being like 60-80 grams protein which puts me at 1.1-1.5 gram per pound bodyweight. I was just concerned because kiefer says too much protein can cause lethargy also with that much protein it's hard to hit my carb requirements.

TCB
    Participant

Oh sorry what i was trying to say is that my first three meals which are ULC meals and usually relatively small 200-300 calories have about 30 grams protein but that my backload meal (my 4th meal) which is usually a gaint 1500+ calorie meal winds up being like 60-80 grams protein which puts me at 1.1-1.5 gram per pound bodyweight. I was just concerned because kiefer says too much protein can cause lethargy also with that much protein it's hard to hit my carb requirements.

Hm, never heard the lethargy thing. I'm assuming it's from a digestive load standpoint. But regardless, my answer really doesn't change much.If it's too much food in the evening, and you feel like you can't eat everything you "need to," then redistribute some to earlier in the day, and/or add another meal. The numbers I've heard most are that best results are achieved somewhere in the neighborhood of .8g-1.3g/lb of bw, so just shoot for that range.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Too much protein?

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?