Tracking protien

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Kevin

Hi,

I attempted to follow the ketogenic diet prior to looking into the carb nite solution. The problem I had with the ketogenic diet is that I had a hard time keeping protien low enough and fat high enough. I think I am pretty good at counting carbs and I have no problem counting them. One of the things that attracted me to the diet was that Keifer stated in the book that we only had to count carbs and have a fat with every protien. When I entered this forum I discovered people tracking all macros and calories and this is what I have somewhat of an aversion to. The author also mentioned in the book not to stress over calories if I’m not mistaken. I am currently not training due to the fact that my job is safety sensitive and requires me to be well rested before work. I find it hard to train and do CNS at the same time. I have went from 240 to 175 eating low carb foods with minimal tracking. I was thinking of just tracking carbs for a couple of months to see how it goes and then track protien, fat and calories if needed. I only have 20 lbs or so to go and this whole tracking thing is really stressing me out. Keifer mentioned in the Proteinking.com podcast:

“If plateauing on Carb Nite cut back amount of carbs on carb nites and/or cut back protein during ULC portions.”

I have trouble cutting back on the protien and getting enough fat to feel satiated. That’s a work in progress but I think I might be able to track carbs on carb nite. How many carbs do I need on carb nite to get the hormones working without overdoing it?

I really need help. I have been trying to find the answer on my own and have not come across it yet.

Thank you

Makoto Tomizawa
    Participant

First of all, that’s an awesome progress.
    Now, “not worrying about calories” is, in my opinion, under the assumption that eliminating carbs will most likely put people under maintenance as long as they eat normal. That said, calories still matter since you can go way overboard on fats and proteins resulting in a surplus (where a lot of people go wrong is overeating during the ULC portion of the week).

I love protein (meat and fish all night long baby) so I have a hard time keeping it “moderate.” At the same time, I do better with higher protein and not a whole lot of fat, so I guess it works to my advantage. So it’s different for everyone.

As far as the amount of carbs, there’s really no set amount. What you’re going after is the insulin spikes, which gets the hormones working. You could achieve this easily with not a whole lot of carbs. Add leucine or carb shock to some high GI carbs and it will do the job. Eat whatever carbs you’re craving, get the insulin spiking, and you’ll be good to go.

Whether to track all the macros or not is up to you. If you’re making progress without tracking, just keep going until you stall. If you want to be safe from the get go, then track. Hope this helps a little bit.

Training Log: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vuwHRdBaPVILxxLhXly_N1Ys66Hcwk4j-bM7nvKSLrI/edit?usp=sharing

Richard Schmitt

When you begin to get leaner, you will need to start tracking some macros. Just to get an idea how much you’re eating, and where to adjust it in order to meet your needs. I haven’t heard that podcast yet, and if you don’t mind posting a link when you have the chance, I’d greatly appreciate that. If you’re getting 1g/BW for your protein, try dropping it to .8g/BW with keeping fats relatively close with that ratio. I’m not sure what your fat grams look like now, but if you’re having a hard time being satiated, try adding some more fats (depending on how much each meal has already) and some type of low carb green veggie. That might also help.

Another thing to consider is training, that can play a key factor in helping you or hurting you. This again will depend on the volume you’re currently doing.

Kevin

Here is the link to the podcast:

I haven’t listened to it. I read bjjcaveman’s notes:

http://bjjcaveman.com/2014/06/08/carb-nite-carb-back-loading-tips-part-2/

It’s that as you get leaner you might have to track. I experienced that and I tracked for a little over a month after a plataue. I did loose about ten lbs. The issue I’m having is how to get enough fat in a way that actually tastes good. I know I could just put coconut oil on everything but I can’t do that long term. I tried it. I quess I need a good low carb cook book. Can anyone recommend one that displays all of t he macros?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Tracking protien

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?