Training Program Critique

• This topic has 15 voices and 56 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
  • Author

Richard Schmitt

So there is some speculation going around the forums on what is considered training and enough training to translocate tGLUT4 receptors. Basically to able to make CBL work. So any questions in regards to your training routine/split/ideas can go here. The experienced lifters and trainers can find an easy place to critique your "style". Plus shed some insight to others on what they can use or maybe share routines and compare results or friendly competition. Feel free to post up what you do and what you want out your training split/routine.

Richard Schmitt

I'll go ahead and start to make an example.What I'm trying to figure out is that if I'm doing too much. What I want is lose fat, gain strength, and show some definition out of my body. I have been doing this program for almost 6 weeks. Monday:Legs: Leg Extensions: 2x10        Squats: WU: 5/3/1 Style        Squats: 5/3/1 Style        Hack Squats: 4x10        Romanian DL: 3x10        Leg Extensions: 2x10/1xDrop Set        Leg Curls: 2x10/1xDrop Set        Seated Calf Raise: Kiefer Style        Calf Press: 4x10 ELECT StyleTuesday: Chest (Currently doing the Bench Challenge, so nothing besides what is written)Wednesday:HIIT (Either on the Cross Ramp Machine or Stationary Bike. 30sec sprint//2min rest. 20 minutes.)Thursday:Shoulders and Biceps: DB Shoulder Press: 2x10                                BB Shoulder Press: WU 5/3/1 Style                                BB Shoulder Press: 5/3/1 Style                                DB Shoulder Press: 4x10                                BB Upright Row: 3x10                                DB Lateral Raises: 3x10                                DB Rear Delt Fly: 2x12                                EZ Bar Curl: ELECT/PSR & 2x10                                DB Alternate Hammer Curl: 3x10                                DB Curl (Just started): 3x8                                Close-Grip PD: 2x12 & 1xELECT/PSRFriday:Back and Triceps: Wide-Grip PD: 2x10                          Deadlift: WU 5/3/1 Style                          Deadlift: 5/3/1 Style                          T-Bar Row: 4x10                          Pull-ups: 3xFailure                          Wide-Grip PD: 3x10                          Face Pulls: 2x10 & 1xELECT/PSR                          Close-Grip Bench: 1xELECT/PSR & 2x10                          Dips: 3xFailure                          Lying Tri Extensions: 3x8                          Tri Rope PD: 2x10 & 1xELECT/PSR  Saturday and Sunday: HIIT (Possibly both days or just the one. Same split as on Wednesday.)                     

koubanator

I'll go ahead and start to make an example.What I'm trying to figure out is that if I'm doing too much. What I want is lose fat, gain strength, and show some definition out of my body. I have been doing this program for almost 6 weeks. Monday:Legs: Leg Extensions: 2x10        Squats: WU: 5/3/1 Style        Squats: 5/3/1 Style        Hack Squats: 4x10        Romanian DL: 3x10        Leg Extensions: 2x10/1xDrop Set        Leg Curls: 2x10/1xDrop Set        Seated Calf Raise: Kiefer Style        Calf Press: 4x10 ELECT StyleTuesday: Chest (Currently doing the Bench Challenge, so nothing besides what is written)Wednesday:HIIT (Either on the Cross Ramp Machine or Stationary Bike. 30sec sprint//2min rest. 20 minutes.)Thursday:Shoulders and Biceps: DB Shoulder Press: 2x10                                BB Shoulder Press: WU 5/3/1 Style                                BB Shoulder Press: 5/3/1 Style                                DB Shoulder Press: 4x10                                BB Upright Row: 3x10                                DB Lateral Raises: 3x10                                DB Rear Delt Fly: 2x12                                EZ Bar Curl: ELECT/PSR & 2x10                                DB Alternate Hammer Curl: 3x10                                DB Curl (Just started): 3x8                                Close-Grip PD: 2x12 & 1xELECT/PSRFriday:Back and Triceps: Wide-Grip PD: 2x10                          Deadlift: WU 5/3/1 Style                          Deadlift: 5/3/1 Style                          T-Bar Row: 4x10                          Pull-ups: 3xFailure                          Wide-Grip PD: 3x10                          Face Pulls: 2x10 & 1xELECT/PSR                          Close-Grip Bench: 1xELECT/PSR & 2x10                          Dips: 3xFailure                          Lying Tri Extensions: 3x8                          Tri Rope PD: 2x10 & 1xELECT/PSR  Saturday and Sunday: HIIT (Possibly both days or just the one. Same split as on Wednesday.)                   

How long are you at the gym?  Seems like 2-3 hours the way it's written out.  lol  Being I just started CBL, not sure if all that work is a bad thing.  When it comes to strength though, that's overkill IMO and experience.  After 1.5 hours, I start hitting the wall and get bored.  Quality over quantity.  Personally, just knowing how I felt on 5/3/1, I would back down on the accessories.  Choose 2-3 that will benefit the most and go BBB.  Where it counts is the compound movement of the day.  On the last set, if I could walk or move my arms after 5 minutes, I didn't go hard enough.  Physically and mentally, AMRAP would put me in the void.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24YvHmfUztk&feature=g-u-u

Caino
    Participant

im doing the strength version of westdide for skinny bastards, have a look, i think it needs more volume??http://www.elitefts.com/ws4sb/ws4sb.pdf

TokyoLifter

Sorry guys, but IMO it is impossible to tell someone you have never met if his training is too long, too short, too intense…. If you go totally extreme (15mins or 5h), it is clear, but other than that the only thing you can maybe detect is a poor choice of exercises and deduct low intensity from it. My workouts can last anywhere from 30mins to 60mins, and I am doing something between 8 and 20 sets per muscle group, currently in a 5 day split. I am doing a pyramid style rep range.  This works very well for me in the moment, but I might change it according to how I feel, train another body part that is not supposed to be on the day to reduce the days per week that I train, do only sets of 20 reps, or only 5-6 reps per set. If your training style suits you and your current situation well, you will get stronger, you will feel good and powerful. If your nutrition is spot on, your sleep is well and stress levels are low and your joints hurt, you get weaker all the time, or anything else feels bad, then it is time to change your training. Never change a running system, 3 hours in the gym might work well for you.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Sorry guys, but IMO it is impossible to tell someone you have never met if his training is too long, too short, too intense.... If you go totally extreme (15mins or 5h), it is clear, but other than that the only thing you can maybe detect is a poor choice of exercises and deduct low intensity from it. My workouts can last anywhere from 30mins to 60mins, and I am doing something between 8 and 20 sets per muscle group, currently in a 5 day split. I am doing a pyramid style rep range.  This works very well for me in the moment, but I might change it according to how I feel, train another body part that is not supposed to be on the day to reduce the days per week that I train, do only sets of 20 reps, or only 5-6 reps per set. If your training style suits you and your current situation well, you will get stronger, you will feel good and powerful. If your nutrition is spot on, your sleep is well and stress levels are low and your joints hurt, you get weaker all the time, or anything else feels bad, then it is time to change your training. Never change a running system, 3 hours in the gym might work well for you.

I'm going to have to second this.  Some people can handle a lot of volume, some can't.  Some respond well to HIT, some don't.  Some respond well to certain exercises, some don't.I know me personally I do better with slightly higher volume than most people.

Caino
    Participant

I dont know if tex is thinking the sane, but im posting to see if this sort of workout is good for the type of diet followed for eg cbl, cns

sarah_h88

Sunday PMwarm up              Squat 5x5              Bench Press 5x5    Barbell Rows 5x5 Tuesday PMwarm upSquat 5x5Overhead Press 5x5Deadlift 1x5Thursday PM  warm up          Squat 5x5              Bench Press 5x5    Barbell Rows 5x5 plus 1 or 2 HIIT sessions if i feel i need it.i'm lifting as heavy as possible hoping to add weight every week or 2. simple but intense, hopefully that's enough for CBL?i'm female, age 23, 5'3. 102-103 lbs, approx 23% bodyfat

Sunday PMwarm up              Squat 5x5              Bench Press 5x5    Barbell Rows 5x5 Tuesday PMwarm upSquat 5x5Overhead Press 5x5Deadlift 1x5Thursday PM  warm up          Squat 5x5              Bench Press 5x5    Barbell Rows 5x5 plus 1 or 2 HIIT sessions if i feel i need it.i'm lifting as heavy as possible hoping to add weight every week or 2. simple but intense, hopefully that's enough for CBL?i'm female, age 23, 5'3. 102-103 lbs, approx 23% bodyfat

Is this from stronglifts? I did that for about 6 months a few years back and got amazing results after sitting around being lazy for about a year. It's a solid program for beginners -- I've had several friends (and my wife) on it and without fail each one got markedly stronger.

sarah_h88

Is this from stronglifts? I did that for about 6 months a few years back and got amazing results after sitting around being lazy for about a year. It's a solid program for beginners -- I've had several friends (and my wife) on it and without fail each one got markedly stronger.

yes it's from stronglifts 🙂 i've been training for about 2 years so i'm not really a beginner but like many people, i started out doing too much or too little with incorrect form, so i figured i better get the basics right and improve my strength and grow some muscle !

Goals: Lose bodyfat, increase strength and conditioning for rugby. I had been doing 5/3/1 with bodybuilding-type assistance. This week I started another cycle of 5/3/1 with a variation of BBB assistance. I follow it with a metcon workout twice/week and HIIT once/week. I also have rugby training once/week and matches on Sat or a sprint workout. Sunday is rest/stretch day.

Big Tex, I think your volume is fine and the workout is very appropriate for CBL as I understand it. Seems the key is to lift heavy weights, right? 5/3/1 certainly has you doing that and you have some good assistance in there for good measure.

yes it's from stronglifts 🙂 i've been training for about 2 years so i'm not really a beginner but like many people, i started out doing too much or too little with incorrect form, so i figured i better get the basics right and improve my strength and grow some muscle !

Agree 100% with this. I had to wipe a tear when my wife made fun of a guy doing quarter squats in the gym one day. "What is he doing and why is he making so much noise? He's not even going down all the way!" Gotta love it.

KRISTA.RN

Noob here…. what is 5/3/1?

AdamFiddler

Noob here.... what is 5/3/1?

Richard Schmitt

Noob here.... what is 5/3/1?

Jim Wendler's Strength Building Training Routine

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Training Program Critique

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?