Training to failure

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Matthew C Graham
    Participant

I'm going to be starting a 4 day shockwave split and my question is about training to failure. The warm-up sets I realize you wouldn't. As far as the ELECT and Normal sets, I'm not sure. As far as the ELECT sets, is the last of the 5 mini-sets done in a normal rep performance manner to failure? Should I train normal sets to failure? For example if I should do 10 reps of an exercise, should I fail on an attempted 11th rep?Thanks, Matt G.

Mjl1030

For ELECT the last set you should be on or near failure. If you can only do 2 or 3 and know you can't do another, you are doing it right.

Richard Schmitt

Not to failure but the last two should be a good working set

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

How do you guys load your sets?  I would imagine a good load for the final set would be say 80%? 

Matthew C Graham
    Participant

I have a question about the last of the mini-ELECT sets. Should rep performance be ELECT or normal?

Richard Schmitt

How do you guys load your sets?  I would imagine a good load for the final set would be say 80%?

I do mine 65/70/75/80/85% just for my compound lifts.

Richard Schmitt

I have a question about the last of the mini-ELECT sets. Should rep performance be ELECT or normal?

Meaning? ELECT should performed as normal.

Matthew C Graham
    Participant

My understanding in the first 4 mini-sets all reps should be a short negative, as quick a turn-around as possible into an explosive positive. If any reps in those first 4 sets should turn into a grinder, I should stop to preserve my Central Nervous system. In regards to the 5th set, the working set, I was wondering if the same rep performance is required and if a rep turns into a grinder, I should stop or it's okay to continue to work to just before failure. I hope that makes sense.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

You guys keep confusing ELECT with PSR.  ELECT is the fashion in which a rep is done.  A one second eccentric phase and then an explosive contraction.  You can do a normal straight set with ELECT reps.  PSR is when you do the five mini sets.

Marty P Koch
    Participant

You guys keep confusing ELECT with PSR.  ELECT is the fashion in which a rep is done.  A one second eccentric phase and then an explosive contraction.  You can do a normal straight set with ELECT reps.  PSR is when you do the five mini sets.

+1

Matthew C Graham
    Participant

Alright, thank you. I appreciate it.

Matthew C Graham
    Participant

Okay, let me ask one more question. I just want to make sure I get the basic gist. For example, in the Shockwave e-book for the Incline Iso Hammer Press it states the performance is ELECT. So in other words short eccentric, explosive concentric. It says 5 sets, 3 reps for each set. For that exercise should I use PSR or do 5 normal sets?

Okay, let me ask one more question. I just want to make sure I get the basic gist. For example, in the Shockwave e-book for the Incline Iso Hammer Press it states the performance is ELECT. So in other words short eccentric, explosive concentric. It says 5 sets, 3 reps for each set. For that exercise should I use PSR or do 5 normal sets?

You are doing a PSR/Ramp set type, while using ELECT rep type

Matthew C Graham
    Participant

Alright, thanks.

Marco

Is a PSR set done to failure ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Training to failure

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?