Training – where do I start?

• This topic has 4 voices and 13 replies.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Jessegirl
    Participant

I'm on my second week of CNS and would like to get into a training program.  I have 10+years experience in resistance training.  I have been pretty lazy the past year and want to get my 'mo-jo' back with training.  I am certainly not a body builder or anything like that.  I have been used to regular 3 day week full body hypertrophy programs, with a bit of yoga here and there.I'm 5.7 138 lbs and definitely softer this past year.  I would like to lose a bit of body fat and get some definition back.Any suggestions?

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I would do 5/3/1.  It works very well with CNS.  If you have a smartphone, you can download an app that will tell you everything to do.

Lesli Bortz
    Participant

I would do 5/3/1.  It works very well with CNS.  If you have a smartphone, you can download an app that will tell you everything to do.

+1 it's a lot of fun and everything is laid out and easy to understand.

Jessegirl
    Participant

is 5/3/1 the same as shockwave?  I downloaded the shockwave app.  Should I try with that as well?

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

is 5/3/1 the same as shockwave?  I downloaded the shockwave app.  Should I try with that as well?

No shockwave is completely different.  What I don't like about shockwave is that I find it to be a very inefficient way of training due to too many exercises being used.  There is also no clear way of defining progress. This doesn't mean I don't recommend it though. 5/3/1 is a basic barbell training program that is more strength focused.  It's a good program if you just want to weight train to be strong, healthy, athletic, and build a bit of muscle.  Shockwave is more focused on physique development.

Jessegirl
    Participant

I just got back from the gym and tried shockwave.  I think it's a great app, however, very difficult to figure out your 1rm on some of the exercises.  I may try the 5/3/1 as you suggested - thank you.  I should be able to obtain some good muscle tone back in my body from this?  Can you suggest an app or perhaps I should just search the internet for a basic program.Thanks for your helpx

Rob Haas

I have been used to regular 3 day week full body hypertrophy programs, with a bit of yoga here and there.

Specifically what kind of a program are you looking for?You have been doing a full body so do you want a split program?Something simple and gets results is a push, pull, legs routine. Does that sound like something that interest you?

Penny Danner
    Participant

And to throw another one into the mix….I'm considering Strong Curves Advanced Workout (full body...also has just lower body too).  The pdf is linked here but I think the book would be helpful with the exercises or at least watching Bret's youtubes.  I'm doing Shockwave now and really like it but I did mostly the 4 big lifts for a few years before coming here so I already knew my 1RM for the big lifts so just had to play around with the other exercises to make it work to get to a good starting weight.https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB8QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fbretcontreras.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2FStrong-Curves-Workout-Templates.pdf&ei=8jL-VN2IFcHksATPpYDgDw&usg=AFQjCNETPfOu2kj8M9WyYDLHYVAzjFov-g&sig2=TV_AqJVhx9_mVYmWLPnSaw&bvm=bv.87611401,d.cWc

Penny Danner
    Participant

And I'll add about 5/3/1….I am leaning back to that more than strong curves.  I like the booty aspect of SC but I also focused on strength until this last year doing SW.  I think I might want to go back to that and see if I can through in done of the smaller glute moves over the summer to change it up.  Brets moves seem to be in the 8 rep range vs the strength ranges.  Both are tempting which is why I like SW.  I get a little of both.

Jessegirl
    Participant

What am I looking for?  Something a little easier that will get me results.  Figuring out my 1rm kinda stresses me out a bit.  I like the idea of the push, pull split.  Would you be kind enough to give me an idea and I will take it from there.Thanks for your support.

Rob Haas

What am I looking for?  Something a little easier that will get me results.  Figuring out my 1rm kinda stresses me out a bit.  I like the idea of the push, pull split.  Would you be kind enough to give me an idea and I will take it from there.Thanks for your support.

I'd be happy too. Give me today to type something up.

Jessegirl
    Participant

I'd be happy too. Give me today to type something up.

Thank you so much Rob.  I am finding it a bit overwhelming.  I truly just want to get some good definition back as I have been quite lazy the past 6 months or so. 

Rob Haas

Hi Jessegirl,Here is a simple 3 day split. There are many this is just one simple and effective one.First page is for legs, second is pushing movements, third is pulling.You can substitute any moves you want to fit what's in your gym and what you know how to do.Try to keep the same number of pushing movements as pulling so you don't develop any imbalances.Also, don't neglect legs train them at least once a week.I left reps ranges and set blank so you can adjust as needed.Less reps & less sets = less volumeMore reps & more sets = more volume If you are on CNS you'd probably want less volume in some combinationhttp://www.sussexfence.com/images/Rob/Push_Pull_Legs_routine.pdfPlease ask away if you have any questions.

Jessegirl
    Participant

Hi Jessegirl,Here is a simple 3 day split. There are many this is just one simple and effective one.First page is for legs, second is pushing movements, third is pulling.You can substitute any moves you want to fit what's in your gym and what you know how to do.Try to keep the same number of pushing movements as pulling so you don't develop any imbalances.Also, don't neglect legs train them at least once a week.I left reps ranges and set blank so you can adjust as needed.Less reps & less sets = less volumeMore reps & more sets = more volume If you are on CNS you'd probably want less volume in some combinationhttp://www.sussexfence.com/images/Rob/Push_Pull_Legs_routine.pdfPlease ask away if you have any questions.THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.  I'll check it out today.  I really appreciate this, Rob. x

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Training – where do I start?

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?