Vacation Protocol

• This topic has 7 voices and 12 replies.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Spatz

Email sent out by DH Kiefer on 7/23/13

Ahh...summertime. Nothing like kicking back and taking some much-needed time off.One of the biggest questions I get from clients is..."Kiefer, how can I stay lean and tight while I'm away on vacation?”Every client asks me this eventually.I've never really been a drinker. There's a serious history of bad alcoholism in my family, and for that reason, I could never really get into it.But, all my clients insist that vacations suck without it!You spend all this time dieting, but when it's time for a break, you always end up feeling guilty about taking a sip of alcohol because you're afraid it's going to screw everything up.That doesn't need to happen. In fact, the opposite is true.What I'm about to share with you is how you can strategically use alcohol...To continue burning fat and prevent that vacation weight gain that always happens.In fact, this is so effective that you're going to be able to eat a lot more carbs than normal.Now, I have to put this out there before you read any further:If you drink daily already, this protocol will not work.For this to work, you need to take a break from alcohol for at least two weeks.This is what allows alcohol to have this temporary magical effect.Allowing you to eat like a pig and not gain a pound...and actually get dryer and leaner.See, the liver is the fat-burning organ of the body.This is where all your fat storage and fat burning starts.Alcohol is a powerful substance. When used correctly, it can create a negative caloric load.And when you drink the right kind of alcohol at the right time, the body diverts all its resources to burn it off.What happens then? Any carbs you eat during this time don't get stored.Plus, it has the added benefit of draining excess water out of your skin. The next morning, you'll look even leaner.Just make sure to drink plenty of water the next day if you're hitting the beach.=================**Vacation Protocol**=================I have a few clients who vacation monthly. Here's what I tell them.They typically travel for one week out of the month, and they want to look tight and lean while they're gone.Here's the schedule I put them on, and it works every time.This is especially useful for weddings and honeymoons, long trips to Vegas, and other long stints of Hangover-style debauchery.First, let's talk about timing, using one month as an example.Here's what I have them do:Week 1 & 2: Standard Carb Back-LoadingWeek 3 (Week before vacation): Carb NiteWeek 4: Vacation timeHere are the important points:The week before vacation, I have them lower their carbs. If you're still doing Carb Back-Loading, I limit the back-loads to two (2) days that week.Carb Nite is ideal for this week, too.I also increase the volume of their resistance training. This is easily accomplished with an extra set with every exercise, or an extra day or two of training.We want to start vacation slightly overtrained.Now, here's where intermittent fasting can actually be beneficial.I have my clients not eat until the afternoon, say from 2 PM until bedtime.Here's an important point:You need to drink the RIGHT kind of alcohol.You can eat whatever you want while you're on vacation, but for the best results, stick to "hard" liquor.When you're at the bar, do shots instead of sipping wine. Or, look for drinks with lots of alcohol in them.So, let's look at an average vacation day.Morning to 2 PM: Fast. Only black coffee (or coffee with heavy cream and coconut oil) and water.2 PM to bedtime: Eat whatever you want, and drink high alcohol content drinks after dinner.This can be done up to five (5) days in a row. After this, the magic will wear off.Using this protocol, my clients always come back from vacation looking leaner than they did before they left. They're relaxed, refreshed, and ready to hit it hard in the gym again.Give it a try and let me know your results.Cheers,Kiefer

Spatz

Figured this would be a good spot to stick this and reference later for people who don't want to stumble through their inbox with thousands of messages. “Where on earth is that vacation email!”

Richard Schmitt

Figured this would be a good spot to stick this and reference later for people who don't want to stumble through their inbox with thousands of messages. "Where on earth is that vacation email!"

Guilty...thank you!

agentmads
    Participant

Wasn't member at the time, so I have never read the actual email. Thanks a lot!

Spatz

Q1.Trying to iron out exactly what I'm going to do this next month in prep for my GA vacation. So it states "Week 3 (Week before vacation): Carb Nite" should this really be saying "Week 3 (Week before vacation): ULC?" I was a bit confused by this on where to place my Carb Nite if I'm already going to be going and eating carbs throughout the vacation. Because if taken literally, that would mean week 3 is Carb Nite week, which would be ULC days 1-7, and then Carb it up on the evening of day 7. Well that's practically the day before your vacation protocol. Seems a bit funny to me. So with some searching I found iBob state this;

1.  Refrain from alcohol for 1 month prior2. Go ULC the week before the vacation and increase training volume to the point you are slightly overtrained3.  While on vacation fast every morning until 2 PM.  After this you can eat whatever.4.  Start drinking at dinner time.  Best results come from straight liqour.You may not have been able to do the first two steps, but if you follow 3 and 4 you should be fine.  So go ULC until the vacation starts.

So is it honestly just a week of ULC while you over train?

Q2.Over training. What would you consider over training? How do you gauge this? Just throw in some training every day without rest days? Maybe just make sure there is only one rest day? Would you up your lifting, your HIIT, or both? Train 5 days of the week both HIIT and lifting in one day?I'm just looking for brainstorming, as this seems a little vague. Especially with gender differences..

Richard Schmitt

1) Yes, train hard and a lot while ULC2) I'd say a couple HIIT days in a row or plenty of them in the week. Along with some heavy training for sure. From what Kiefer mentioned what it would feel like hitting a brick wall and not being able to do anymore rounds or lifts.

Q1.Trying to iron out exactly what I'm going to do this next month in prep for my GA vacation. So it states "Week 3 (Week before vacation): Carb Nite" should this really be saying "Week 3 (Week before vacation): ULC?" I was a bit confused by this on where to place my Carb Nite if I'm already going to be going and eating carbs throughout the vacation. Because if taken literally, that would mean week 3 is Carb Nite week, which would be ULC days 1-7, and then Carb it up on the evening of day 7. Well that's practically the day before your vacation protocol. Seems a bit funny to me. So with some searching I found iBob state this;

1.  Refrain from alcohol for 1 month prior2. Go ULC the week before the vacation and increase training volume to the point you are slightly overtrained3.  While on vacation fast every morning until 2 PM.  After this you can eat whatever.4.  Start drinking at dinner time.  Best results come from straight liqour.You may not have been able to do the first two steps, but if you follow 3 and 4 you should be fine.  So go ULC until the vacation starts.

So is it honestly just a week of ULC while you over train?

Q2.Over training. What would you consider over training? How do you gauge this? Just throw in some training every day without rest days? Maybe just make sure there is only one rest day? Would you up your lifting, your HIIT, or both? Train 5 days of the week both HIIT and lifting in one day?I'm just looking for brainstorming, as this seems a little vague. Especially with gender differences..

Start by increasing your training load about 50%, by adding more days, more volume, whatever. Go from there by adding more lifting or more HIIT.You know you are there when your sleep starts sucking, you are tired all the time, and your immune system feels weak.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I would do more volume.  The easiest way to do this is to add a set or two every single exercise you do.

Spatz

Posting this here and in my log.

Vacation Protocol!I did classic CN for the three weeks prior to my vacation, also didn’t have any alcohol for the month before (I don’t drink, so this one was easy as pecan pie.) The week before the vacation I over-trained my body with Monday being “bench & push-press,” Tuesday being “squats & thrusts,” Wednesday being “deads,” Thursday rest and drive 6 hours, Friday was “bench & push-press” again, and Saturday was “squats & thrusts.” Sunday I rested and drove 3 hours, and then Monday we drove 11 hours to Georgia! Let Vacation Protocol (VP) begin!Tuesday was day (1VP), B: Coffee&cream, L: Tasty homemade egg salad (I think it was low carb, though I didn’t much care to make sure.) D: steak, baked potato and cake for dinner. 2 shots rum with coke.Wednesday (2VP) B: coffee&cream, L: fruit salad, tuna salad, black corn chips? D: Hamburger WITH the bun, baked beans, and a little leftover cake. Also had some rum and orange juice.Thursday (3VP) B: coffee&cream, L: Reuben sandwich, pickle, sweet potato chips, with a wine tasting (10 tastes ≈ 1 glass), D: Homemade nachos (organic black chips?) beans, corn, chicken, lettuce, tomatoes, salsa. 3-4 shots rumFriday (4VP) B: coffee, L: ULC bunless burger (tired of getting tired..) D: (Wedding rehearsal dinner) 3 little bread rolls with honey butter, shrimp, breakfast potatoes, roast, followed by the best bread pudding I’ve ever tasted with a whiskey sauce. Got back to the hotel room and took 2 shots.Saturday (5VP) B: coffee&cream, L: Bunless burger, but they included french-fries without my knowing, so I ate a bunch of them with a rum shot, lol. D: (wedding) fried chicken, creamed corn dressing (YUM), corn muffin, buttermilk biscuit w/ butter, and a cupcake. Little wine, little beer, back to the hotel by 9pm, 1 or 2 rum shots, then went out to the bars w/ my sister and had a shot of vodka, shot of Jameson, and ended with a shot of whiskey/peach schnapps.Sunday was back to ULC and driving to Arkansas!I am now back home in Texas and just finished a lovely breakfast with 4 bacon and 2 eggs. So good. So glad to be back to eating food I know I love.

Interesting observations:→ Day 1 VP just 2 shots of rum got me SLOSHED. I was really, really buzzed. Day 5 VP, I had wine, beer, 5 shots, and I would still consider myself almost sober, with an extremely slight buzz. → Beans. WOW. They don’t taste that great, I mean, they taste like beans. My toots were terrible the next day!! Uhg… Never again. I’m avoiding beans for the rest of my life if possible. Not worth the stench, and easy to avoid. Not like cake, I would say “Screw it, I’m eating cake no matter the gastrointestinal effects…” But beans? Ha. Goodbye.→ Next time I do vacation protocol, I will not eat carbs before 5pm. I know it says 2pm start time, but carbohydrates just DRAIN me. Every day I ate carbs around 2pm, I was ready to take a nap around 4 or 5pm, and I did too! “ZZzzz… oh, dinner time? I’m up.”→ Halfway through vacation protocol, and I’m ready to eat bacon and eggs for breakfast again, or even lunch or dinner. Can’t wait to be ULC again.→ My face started to break out with blemishes on day 3 of VP. 1.5 days ULC cleared it right up.→ I noticed it was easy to be on the Vacation Protocol. Easy, like I’m not worrying about what I’m eating… but nothing tastes as good as I remember. Generally when you do a Carb Nite you go out and only eat the things you’ve REALLY been craving. When on the Vacation Protocol, I just ate what was for dinner. Normal people eating normal dinners with normal desserts. Boring and not as tasty as I was thinking. → Aftermath: I do not look tighter or better than before I went on VP, however, the damage isn’t bad and I’m very confident I’ll be back to what I looked like by the end of this week.

Penny Danner
    Participant

I agree on the beans.  I had way too many double-over episodes of pain to even CONSIDER eating them again!!!  I love your synopsis!

Davor Tomic

Spatz, that was a great post! I'm getting ready for my take at VP, starting this Sunday 🙂Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spatz

Glad it helped! I think we should all post our Vacation Protocol results/trip here, so its a resource for others to peruse and get a good idea of the structure they want to follow.I know when I was first starting to think about using VP the number of personal experiences from it were very very slim and it felt a bit like uncharted territory. Unknown waters that you're thinking about jumping into without the knowledge if there are playful Mermaids, who want to save you from drowning, or Sirens, the restless spirits of the unclean dead. o_o

Richard Schmitt

I know when I was first starting to think about using VP the number of personal experiences from it were very very slim and it felt a bit like uncharted territory. Unknown waters that you're thinking about jumping into without the knowledge if there are playful Mermaids, who want to save you from drowning, or Sirens, the restless spirits of the unclean dead. o_o

No worries, Jack Sparrow will save you.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Vacation Protocol

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?