2 minute sprints?

• This topic has 10 voices and 18 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

zewski

I'm a little confused about the 2:4 sprint/rest protocol for HIIT while going for fat loss.Am I the only one who thinks its a bit impossible to sprint full out for 2 minutes? I guess I should change my thinking from all-out sprint to max-effort. As in by the end of the 2 mins you're barely moving, but still giving it your all. All I'm saying is after about 30 minutes of an all-out sprint my hearts about to burst through my chest, so it's hard to imagine going for another 1:30 at that speed. Thoughts?

I can get to about 1:30 the night after my carb night, maybe the second night as well depending on how many carbs I ate.I look at it as I go as long as I can till my intensity starts to drop.At 1:15 it begins to drop, by 1:30 I can hardly keep it up so I feel it'd be pointless to go at half-ass intensity for another 30 seconds.

Richard Schmitt

I would also assume to it would be the type of sprints/bursts you might do. I know when I do sprints (running) I go till I really can't anymore, no half-assing it, then rest till I get my breath back.Now if you were to do it on the bike, then it might be possible to get close to 2 minutes. I get winded after one minute, and then get close to half-assing.I'm trying to figure out the best split for HIIT during the quest for fat loss. From what I remember reading, Kiefer had Julia do 2 minutes on, with 2 minutes off, and then the following session do 1 minute on, with 4 minutes off. Since I'm not competing to be in a weight class I would assume doing 1:4 would be ideal?

chaos1n3

I help my daughter train for the 800m run, and there is some good workouts out there (essentially running all out for 2 minutes).  Google middle distance training.  Good stuff.

CaseyD

Sounds like it might be decent for weight loss, definitely not optimal for fat loss…

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

My friend who is a runner, said that in studies it shows that the maximum distance a human can sprint at 100% effort is 800 m.  This is in a highly trained sprinter too.  This is slightly more than one lap on the track.No one here can sprint 100% for two minutes.  I personally recommend 30-45 second sprints.

Kiefer had me do one HIIT session that consisted of 2 minutes on 2 minutes slow (yes, it was awful).  I did it on the bike, and like Tex said, i get to about a minute and am pretty good, but the last 45 seconds is tough.  we did it to ensure complete glycogen depletion.

zewski

You are a stronger person than I Julia Would you have to adjust the resistance on the bike to allow you to keep going?I normally just do 30 second bursts with the top resistance, but I guess I could make it a while longer if I were to lower the resistance.

yeah, definitely adjust it.  I just adjusted it as i needed.  typically, i found that after 1 minute, i could up the resistance.  I didn't want to, but I had to be honest with myself.

MJC

I got very lean doing 2 min high and 3 min low intervals 3 days a week.  either on the stepmill or as a “sprint”/walk on the treadmill.

DerrickH

I think this website shows that a real sprint at full effort can only be about 10-20 seconds.  Sprinters in the 100 and 200m have the best average mph speed.  Obviously, the sprinters in the 400 and 800 are fast as hell, but they sacrifice speed due to the distance.http://www.elitefeet.com/how-fast-can-humans-runI used to do burst training at 45 seconds but saw that I was easily losing speed after only 20 seconds, I now do 8 bouts of 15 seconds and it feels more natural and like more of a sprint.

Richard Schmitt

So what's the best optimal fat loss?

MJC

Tex, Id say even if its not a sprint…  going as hard as you can for 2 min folowed by 2-4 min rest is very effective for body comp

Richard Schmitt

Alright cool thanks!

zewski

Remember though, that's only when backloading or when doing HIIT a day or two after carb nite. Otherwise stick to :30/4:00 Farrell type cardio like in the shockwave protocol.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

2 minute sprints?

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?