275 to 205… the Quest

• This topic has 6 voices and 15 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

smessenger

Long story short… three years ago I clocked in at 275. No clue how much body fat. Afraid to look. Started on quest to get diet right and train to lose weight… did Warrior's for a while, then atkins, then hi-fat ala Volek/Phinney, and now trying CarbNite. I'm currently between 233-235 (today at 235). Need to get to 231 by November 9th for competition, and would like to get below 205 early next year to drop another weight class. Struggling a bit with the scale, but I think the photos show progress. I train for Olympic lifting daily. Somedays I do cardio, some not. Will post photos and more info later today. Peace,Sean

smessenger

Feeling stalled at 235 right now… I track my food with LoseIt and two weeks in I've been at 3400kcal/30 grams or less for carbs every day except my two carb nights (beef, eggs, cheese, butter, oil, spinach, bacon) and have been doing a lot more cardio… but the scale isn't moving. Any quick ideas?btw, I estimate my body fat now at 18%-20%. I would guess it gets trickier as BF gets lower...

Dr. Rocky Patel
    Participant

lose the cheese, stop cardio (HIIT post 1-2 days post carbnite instead and some walking) unless if that is what you are doingneed more specifics on food log and macro breakdowns

smessenger

Got it. No cheese, no cardio.  will adjust.

smessenger

Here's a average daily intake, split over three meals around 11, 3 and 6. Bacon4 hard boiled eggsCheddar cheeseCoffee half and half ButterHam 2 eggsCheddar cheeseSpinachGround beefBaconButterCanola oilPeppersMayoCheddar cheeseBlue cheese dressingSalsaDark chocolatePeanut butterWhat's helping and what's hurting? I'm poor but creative and enjoy all foods so any recommendations really help.

Gl;itch.e

Here's a average daily intake, split over three meals around 11, 3 and 6. Bacon4 hard boiled eggsCheddar cheeseCoffee half and half ButterHam 2 eggsCheddar cheeseSpinachGround beefBaconButterCanola oilPeppersMayoCheddar cheeseBlue cheese dressingSalsaDark chocolatePeanut butterWhat's helping and what's hurting? I'm poor but creative and enjoy all foods so any recommendations really help.

From a purely health point this has no place in anyones diet. Cook in Coconut Oil or Bacon Grease IMO. From a fatloss standpoint Kiefer asserts that plant fats (like Olive Oil I believe he said) are easier for the body to store than animal fats. And like Dr Patel has said you need to back off the cheese.

smessenger

OK… will simplify. Beef, butter, bacon. Three of my favorite things. 🙂Eggs? Read somewhere that they can spike insulin and stall fat loss. What do y'all think?Photos are Feb 2009 (285) and Oct 2012 (235).

Dr. Rocky Patel
    Participant

OK... will simplify. Beef, butter, bacon. Three of my favorite things. 🙂

+1eggs are ok just not large quantities at one time. Feel free to mix in some green veg as well

riain80

Have bacon with your eggs. The fat will help dull the insulin response. Never have eggs on there own.

Have bacon with your eggs. The fat will help dull the insulin response. Never have eggs on there own.

+1Eggs without bacon = No fun!

Gavin White
    Participant

+1Eggs without bacon = No fun!

+1 😀

smessenger

Thanks y'all. Agreed… Everything is better with bacon. 🙂Any advice on smart foods to pack for lunch? I'm on a budget and out of the house from 8 to 6 every day. I can buy, cook and bring with anything but need stuff that will keep me going and keep me from getting too hungry and making bad choices. I've been relying on bacon, ham, hard boiled eggs and cheese. Now cheese is out. Other ideas?Finally, is whey protein or a PWO shake important for pure weight loss? I'm strong enough right now and really am focused on cutting weight and fat both, and am not too worried about losing muscle. Honestly, I'd feel better with less muscle as well. Buti want to be smart and find something sustainable, not just a crash test of willpower. 🙂

smessenger

231 today. More sleep, fewer carbs. No workout today but a good 8 miles of walking at work. Hope the numbers keep trending down as I get this carb nite approach dialed in. Thank for all the good advice to get me started!

smessenger

232 weigh-in. Nagging tweak in hamstring and calf, and not enough sleep so skipped 2nd day of Oly training (still got in 6 singles on the snatch just for form). Diet is getting easier… cooked a big steak with butter and spinach last night, and kept half for today. But made a big mistake and didn't bring it with me to work and by 11 AM I knew I wasn't going to survive on black coffee. Went to drugstore and bought almonds and felt much better. Good lesson to always have quality meat and fats with me. Cooking a pork roast this weekend for next week's meals and looking forward to getting the groove on Carb Nite. Thinking a LOT of quality white rice, apple pie and ice cream.

smessenger

Finally made weight! 229.4. Hammy driving me nuts so I think I'll focus on diet, get whatever lifts I can next month, and then make a real plan for next year whether to max out strength at 230 or really cut and try to stay strong at 205.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

275 to 205… the Quest

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?