Abdominal Strength For The Core Lifts

• This topic has 5 voices and 15 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

AdamFiddler
    Keymaster

What would be the best way to go about developing abdominal strength for the core lifts that require great stabilizing strength when handling heavier weights (specifically the squat and overhead press).  Aside from performing these lifts a lot, are there any exercises that others would recommend? I know that sprinting is phenomenal for this type of development, and I'm wondering if other stabilizing methods such as the plank would be worth adding?  I'm not interested in hypertrophy or aesthetics, just in learning how to recruit more.  Thanks.-Adam

Damon Amato
    Participant

Plank and variations is always good. May want to add dead bug or landmines also.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

One legged squats are good for developing core strength on the squat.  Do the overhead press unilaterally for core strength on that. 

devilmanVISA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ammXNp4FVmQI'd recommend watching number 1 and 2 fully, multiple times. But to answer your question, start watching about 7:50.

DSstrongman

I have found heavy weighted planks work very well.  Don't be afraid to work up heavy, we have worked up to 300lbs on our backs and that really works the stabalizers.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I have found heavy weighted planks work very well.  Don't be afraid to work up heavy, we have worked up to 300lbs on our backs and that really works the stabalizers.

How do you weighted planks?  I tried it before with some plates on my back and it didn't feel right.

Macca
    Participant

Beltless front squats are “The Daddy” of exercises for strengthening your core (as well as building some serious quad power in the process)I'm a powerlifter so having a strong core is extremely important (for all three lifts, not just squats and deadlifts) and I've incorporate various different core exercises into my routine, but beltless fronties are the staple.My best unequipped back squat is 265kg (583 lbs) for a double at 85kg (187 lbs) bodyweight and having a rock solid core is essential for handling that kind of weight.I think I was doing 200kg (440 lbs) beltless fronties at the time (I'm working my way back from knee surgery at the moment)CheersMacca

JoeyWaters

An often-overlooked core exercise that works quite well are suitcase carries. These are awesome for developing static strength in the entire 'belt' area.  They should be performed as heavy as possible while maintaining a 360-degree brace in the midsection.  They can be done for whatever length of time you feel necessary; I just walk a certain length in the gym with them, maybe 40 feet is all I have to work with, so I go down and back as one trip.Breathe into the belly upon picking up the dumbbell, KB or farmers walk handle and keep that pressure the whole way.  The weight should make your gait difficult, but not too altered since you are resisting the pull of the weight.  The movement of the legs makes for a great distractor for the core, so you have to stay tight.  Plus it teaches you to breathe while maintaining abdominal pressure.  These have worked well for me over a short period of time.  Hopefully I didn't bore the hell out of anyone here.

devilmanVISA

How do you weighted planks?  I tried it before with some plates on my back and it didn't feel right.

Put them on your glutes.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Beltless front squats are "The Daddy" of exercises for strengthening your core (as well as building some serious quad power in the process)I'm a powerlifter so having a strong core is extremely important (for all three lifts, not just squats and deadlifts) and I've incorporate various different core exercises into my routine, but beltless fronties are the staple.My best unequipped back squat is 265kg (583 lbs) for a double at 85kg (187 lbs) bodyweight and having a rock solid core is essential for handling that kind of weight.I think I was doing 200kg (440 lbs) beltless fronties at the time (I'm working my way back from knee surgery at the moment)CheersMacca

Major +1, I am not a powerlifter, but I owe a lot of my abdominal development (strength and size) to my love of front squats. 

AdamFiddler

Wow sick number of responses.  Thanks guys.  Can't believe I forgot about front squats and weighted planks seem like a cool idea.  I guess what I was getting at is that the majority of “ab exercises” out there don't really work the abdominals in a way similar to handling big weights.  So for weighted planks you just take some weights and put them on your ass?  This sounds kind of complicated without a training partner but also sounds like a really awesome way to go.Adam

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Wow sick number of responses.  Thanks guys.  Can't believe I forgot about front squats and weighted planks seem like a cool idea.  I guess what I was getting at is that the majority of "ab exercises" out there don't really work the abdominals in a way similar to handling big weights.  So for weighted planks you just take some weights and put them on your ass?  This sounds kind of complicated without a training partner but also sounds like a really awesome way to go.Adam

Yea I wonder if anybody else besides beginners do any sort of situp or crunch variation, because they movements do nothing for me.

Macca
    Participant

Beltless front squats are "The Daddy" of exercises for strengthening your core (as well as building some serious quad power in the process)I'm a powerlifter so having a strong core is extremely important (for all three lifts, not just squats and deadlifts) and I've incorporate various different core exercises into my routine, but beltless fronties are the staple.My best unequipped back squat is 265kg (583 lbs) for a double at 85kg (187 lbs) bodyweight and having a rock solid core is essential for handling that kind of weight.I think I was doing 200kg (440 lbs) beltless fronties at the time (I'm working my way back from knee surgery at the moment)CheersMacca

Major +1, I am not a powerlifter, but I owe a lot of my abdominal development (strength and size) to my love of front squats.

Just for giggles, here's the video of my first ever 200kg front squat  8)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXDLY7AUKpU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

AdamFiddler

Worse than that, the consensus among legit strength trainers out there seems to be that when performed the way most people do them, such motions actually shorten your hip flexors, and so you could actually argue that they would drop weight off of your squats and deads (I added the last part at the end).  -Adam

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Worse than that, the consensus among legit strength trainers out there seems to be that when performed the way most people do them, such motions actually shorten your hip flexors, and so you could actually argue that they would drop weight off of your squats and deads (I added the last part at the end).  -Adam

Are you talking about front squats?  I do them all the time and my squat and deadlift numbers continue to climb.  Actually for a while I made the front squat my main leg lift and used regular squats as assitance.  I would say as long as you are doing squats and deadlifts, the front squat shouldn't cause any problems.  Hell go crazy on Good Morning those will stretch the crap out of your hip flexors.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Abdominal Strength For The Core Lifts

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?