Ace-K not a problem?

• This topic has 7 voices and 18 replies.
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

jcgomez

@ibobland... Thats a good find of an article. It's pretty straight forward in the discussion section stating the consumption of these sweetners (Ace-k is one of them) "...cause no changes in the level of plasma insulin during the two hour period of observation."Couple that with what the guys at Propane are saying, and it sure seems like Ace-k isn't as bad as originally thought?I'm def curious to get a response from Kiefer or anyone who is more knowledgeable on the subject. I would lovvvvvve to be able to down an Monster Rehab in the a.m. just for flavor alone!

I tried beating this like a dead horse a few months ago and I was largely ignored.  Kind of funny people are finally begining to notice.  Really when you think about it makes no sense whatsoever.  Ace-K spikes insulin, let's say it does as much as pure glucose.  Would taking 300 mg of dextrose give you an rise in insulin levels that is even significant?  There is more glucose in two cups of lettuce!So either:1.  Ace-K does not spike insulin2.  We discovered the most insulinotropic substance known.  Why aren't we supplementing with this stuff by the gram when we backload?

I floated the idea of backloading with Ace-K, but it was not recommended because the insulin effect was tiny and it supposedly broke down into bad stuff. Maybe the breakdown of Ace-K into bad stuff is the real reason to avoid it?My dad has a saying..."Too much is like Too little." A little bit of Ace-K occasionally is okay, but a bunch is not good for you because of the potential insulin spike effect and it turns into undesirable molecules?http://dangerouslyhardcore.com/forum/index.php?topic=1779.msg17397#msg17397

Nicholas E bucci
    Participant

I floated the idea of backloading with Ace-K, but it was not recommended because the insulin effect was tiny and it supposedly broke down into bad stuff. Maybe the breakdown of Ace-K into bad stuff is the real reason to avoid it?My dad has a saying..."Too much is like Too little." A little bit of Ace-K occasionally is okay, but a bunch is not good for you because of the potential insulin spike effect and it turns into undesirable molecules?

The break down into "bad stuff" im assuming is toxin's/free radicals etc...?? However, the reason in the book that Ace-K is said to be avoided is because it spikes insulin. Keifer states directly in the book... "Of all the sweeteners, wouldn’t it figure that the only one that spikes insulin levels2 is the one that’s in nearly all sugar-free drinks?" And this quote is taken directly from Naomi in reference to taking ace-k post workout to spike insulin:"It's not recommended as a practice, because it only affects insulin a tiny amount, you'd need huge amounts of it to do anything significant..."Those are opposite ends of the spectrum in refernce to ace-k.I know she mentions the chemical breakdown, but I'm assuming if that were the main reason to avoid it, that would be the reason listed in the book? Throw in what the guys from Propane found out:

the amount of Ace K required to achieve the effects seen in the rat study would be equivalent to about 10 litres of Coke Zero consumed by a 60kg adult human.

(60kg = ~133lbs) SO, if I drink a can or 2 of Monster/Redbull/Rockstar everyday (I weigh ~107kg), is it really going to be enough Ace-k to spike insulin or be chemically harmful to my body? I think clarification is what we're looking for... (we may just be me but i do really want to know)

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I floated the idea of backloading with Ace-K, but it was not recommended because the insulin effect was tiny and it supposedly broke down into bad stuff. Maybe the breakdown of Ace-K into bad stuff is the real reason to avoid it?My dad has a saying..."Too much is like Too little." A little bit of Ace-K occasionally is okay, but a bunch is not good for you because of the potential insulin spike effect and it turns into undesirable molecules?

The break down into "bad stuff" im assuming is toxin's/free radicals etc...?? However, the reason in the book that Ace-K is said to be avoided is because it spikes insulin. Keifer states directly in the book... "Of all the sweeteners, wouldn’t it figure that the only one that spikes insulin levels2 is the one that’s in nearly all sugar-free drinks?" And this quote is taken directly from Naomi in reference to taking ace-k post workout to spike insulin:"It's not recommended as a practice, because it only affects insulin a tiny amount, you'd need huge amounts of it to do anything significant..."Those are opposite ends of the spectrum in refernce to ace-k.I know she mentions the chemical breakdown, but I'm assuming if that were the main reason to avoid it, that would be the reason listed in the book? Throw in what the guys from Propane found out:

the amount of Ace K required to achieve the effects seen in the rat study would be equivalent to about 10 litres of Coke Zero consumed by a 60kg adult human.

(60kg = ~133lbs) SO, if I drink a can or 2 of Monster/Redbull/Rockstar everyday (I weigh ~107kg), is it really going to be enough Ace-k to spike insulin or be chemically harmful to my body? I think clarification is what we're looking for... (we may just be me but i do really want to know)

Kiefer said that the sugar-free drinks tend to be a major sticking point for some people, so he is probably basing his no Ace-K reccomendation based off of anecdotal evidence, which is fine to me.  I used to have Pepsi Max (It has Ace-K) nearly everyday and never had any problems with it.  I suggest experimenting and find out.  Kiefer isn't going to yell at you if drink Ace-K  🙂

jcgomez

Ace-K is probably like alcohol. Its true effects cannot be determined so Kiefer's position is that the safest thing is to avoid it in quantity.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Ace-K not a problem?

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?