Anime and such

• This topic has 9 voices and 45 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • Author

hack_attack
    Participant

A followup to my last thread about DH nerds, but this one is more straight anime. It's pretty good shiz for those who haven't tried it, at least as long as you know what to look for, and there is something for everyone: mecha, comedy, slice of life, drama, action, etc. Currently, ones I am following are:Sakurasou No Pet Na Kanojo (subtited)- a slice of life comedy that is turning out to be pretty damn awesome.Sword Art Online (subtited)- a drama/action show about some kids who get stuck in a virtual world and have to beat the game to get out. Almost Tolkien-esque in the span of the world.BTOOM (subtitled)- think Hunger Games/Battle Royale but with bombs as the only weapons. Pretty solid. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (subtitled)- a HILARIOUSLY strange show about a young man named JoJo whose goal in life is to become a true gentleman. It is set in the 1800's and wonderful things ensue. It is just so over the top.Those are all currently in production and are only subtitled in English and aren't dubbed yet. Some of my favorites of all time are:The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - an amazing supernatural slice of life dramedy about a girl who is subconsciously God and how that affects the world and those around her. 24 episodes and quite possibly the best movie I have ever seen. Fullmetal Alchemist - A wonderful action/drama/comedy about...well a lot of stuff. Alchemists, war, genocide, retribution, redemption. Good stuff. 52 episodes Baka and Test - A parody with its own soul and story, it's a slice of life comedy set in a Japanese high school that pokes fun at most of the tropes and cliches found in this type of anime. 12 episodes dubbed, season 2 subtitled but is currently being dubbed. Rebuild of Evangelion - a 4 part movie series (3 of which are out and 2 of which are English dubbed) that is a reboot of the classic anime series Neon Genesis Evangelion, an anime that, while being a pretentious pile of shit, redefined the mecha genre of anime. Baccano! - A supernatural drama/mystery set in Prohibition-era America which follows quite a few characters who are all a hoot. 11 episodes Angel Beats - A very deep, and tragically short, anime about a man who has died and wakes in the afterlife, which is a big high school. Deals with a lot of themes regarding death, spirituality, proof of existence through consciousness and other stuff. 13 episodes Eden of the East - Quite possibly the most socially relevant anime in the past 10 years. It is set in modern day Japan and ...you know what? I don't even know how to summarize this one. Just go watch it. 11 episodes and 2 movies.Last but not least, FLCL - a 6-episode series that is as rich and layered as you want it to be. The whole thing is basically one big allegory for adolescence and how confusing a time it is. Summary is not even possible without spoilers. So there you guys go. Most of these can be found on Netflix and those that can't can be found very easily on the internet with a simple google search. What about you guys?

SAO and Eden of the east are both fantastic.So are many of the others here but I really loved them.Have you seen FMA:brotherhood yet?Horizon journey to nowhere is one I'd suggest checking out. The first 2 seasons should be on crunchyroll.Blue exorcist is a good one, and purely for fun, High school of the dead. HSotD is much better watching the subbed version, but the Dub is funny and vulgar, haha.There are more, but I'm blanking on them right now..

hack_attack
    Participant

Well SAO has just…a freaking wonderful world. The sequel series, Accel World, is great too. Eden of the East is just a great thinking man's anime. I really got wrapped up in it. I have seen Brotherhood and I'm not super crazy about it for a few reasons. However, I like the ending to Brotherhood a HELL of a lot better than the ending to the original. Haven't seen Horizon Journey to Nowhere but I will check it out. What's the genre?And HSotD is pretty lulzy dubbed. God, all that fanservice.

Well SAO has just...a freaking wonderful world. The sequel series, Accel World, is great too. Eden of the East is just a great thinking man's anime. I really got wrapped up in it. I have seen Brotherhood and I'm not super crazy about it for a few reasons. However, I like the ending to Brotherhood a HELL of a lot better than the ending to the original. Haven't seen Horizon Journey to Nowhere but I will check it out. What's the genre?And HSotD is pretty lulzy dubbed. God, all that fanservice.

My bad, it's horizon in the middle of nowhere. I really don't even know how to explain it.It's full of fanservice, but it doesn't irritate me because the story is so interesting.I'll have to check out Accel World, I was so sad when SAO ended, that series teared me up a few different times.Gun X sword is another good one.Code geass is good, I'd imagine you've seen it though.I need to go back through hulu, I'm blanking on some of the ones I've watched recently.Edit; And of course, an all time favorite of mine is one piece.

hack_attack
    Participant

I'm not a huge fan of One Piece, honestly. It just really isn't for me, but I don't hate it or anything. If I'm going Shonen, then I usually go Fairy Tale. That Anime is pretty darn good. Accel World is on Hulu and I definitely recommend it. It is a bit of a change of pace from SAO, but great. And of course I've seen Code Geass lol. Have you seen To Aru Majusu no Index or the spin-off To Aru Kagaku no Railgun?

I'm not a huge fan of One Piece, honestly. It just really isn't for me, but I don't hate it or anything. If I'm going Shonen, then I usually go Fairy Tale. That Anime is pretty darn good. Accel World is on Hulu and I definitely recommend it. It is a bit of a change of pace from SAO, but great. And of course I've seen Code Geass lol. Have you seen To Aru Majusu no Index or the spin-off To Aru Kagaku no Railgun?

Fairy tale is good, I started watching that not to long ago.It took my awhile to get into one piece but once you do, it's so good. There have been episodes that have left my bawling, some laughing, some angry, it really begins to have lots of emotion after it gets going.I've not seen either of those, I'll check 'em out. I haven't watched any in awhile so I'm needing something new.Have you seen guilty crown?

Gl;itch.e

SAO and Eden of the east are both fantastic.

Anything by Production IG is usually awesome. all time favourite seriesWolfs RainCowboy BebopSerial Experiments LainHonestly cant say many newer animes have done much for me. Eden of the East was probably the "newest" one I liked and I didnt finish it eitherĀ  :- So many animes are school kid based and annoying as hell!

SAO and Eden of the east are both fantastic.

Anything by Production IG is usually awesome. all time favourite seriesWolfs RainCowboy BebopSerial Experiments LainHonestly cant say many newer animes have done much for me. Eden of the East was probably the "newest" one I liked and I didnt finish it eitherĀ  :- So many animes are school kid based and annoying as hell!

Cowboy Bebop, such a good anime.

hack_attack
    Participant

Idk I don't really mind the school kid animes if they are at least done well.I have not seen guilty crown, however.

Phatty

I don't consider it anime, but I'm just getting into the Studio Ghibli films.Any recommendations on which ones to watch?

Idk I don't really mind the school kid animes if they are at least done well.I have not seen guilty crown, however.

I really got into guilty crown, I'd highly recommend it.

hack_attack
    Participant

I don't consider it anime, but I'm just getting into the Studio Ghibli films.Any recommendations on which ones to watch?

Recommendations for Studio Ghibli films? Um...how about all of them? Whisper of the Heart, Grave of the Fireflies, Spirited Away, The Secret World of Arrietty, Kiki's Delivery Service, Princess Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle..I mean...It is kinda hard to go wrong.

Recommendations for Studio Ghibli films? Um...how about all of them? Whisper of the Heart, Grave of the Fireflies, Spirited Away, The Secret World of Arrietty, Kiki's Delivery Service, Princess Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle..I mean...It is kinda hard to go wrong.

I have yet to seen Princess Mononoke, my girl yells at me for it a lot.

Phatty

So they're pretty much all good then? That'll keep me busy for a few weeks then.I'm only just getting into them since I played the demo for Nino Kuni. The story/art is buy Ghibli and the game is made by Level 5. I'd recommend it if you have a PS3.

So they're pretty much all good then? That'll keep me busy for a few weeks then.I'm only just getting into them since I played the demo for Nino Kuni. The story/art is buy Ghibli and the game is made by Level 5. I'd recommend it if you have a PS3.

That game looks so good.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Anime and such

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?