Anime and such

• This topic has 9 voices and 45 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)
  • Author

Phatty

I don't consider it anime, but I'm just getting into the Studio Ghibli films.Any recommendations on which ones to watch?

Recommendations for Studio Ghibli films? Um...how about all of them? Whisper of the Heart, Grave of the Fireflies, Spirited Away, The Secret World of Arrietty, Kiki's Delivery Service, Princess Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle..I mean...It is kinda hard to go wrong.

So they're pretty much all good then? That'll keep me busy for a few weeks then.I'm only just getting into them since I played the demo for Nino Kuni. The story/art is buy Ghibli and the game is made by Level 5. I'd recommend it if you have a PS3.

That game looks so good.

The demo really got me hooked, I'm not usually into JRPG's (with the exception of Demon/Dark Souls) but I've got that pre-ordered.

(with the exception of Demon/Dark Souls)

I get pissed just hearing that. Great games though.

Phatty

(with the exception of Demon/Dark Souls)

I get pissed just hearing that. Great games though.

I don't find them to be overly difficult anymore but my first play through of each nearly caused premature baldness.

balaam

I don't care what anyone thinks I lovez my pokemonz lol Bal

hack_attack
    Participant

The only J-rpgs that really ever got me were the old Final Fantasy games. FF8 is still probably one of my favorite games of all time, and 7/9 are also good. Too bad that series went downhill. Dark Souls was a good game, but I certainly don't have the level of commitment to it that some of my friends do, lol. One of my buddies has logged over 500 hours playing it.

Gl;itch.e

Dark Souls was a good game, but I certainly don't have the level of commitment to it that some of my friends do, lol. One of my buddies has logged over 500 hours playing it.

I have a friend who keeps telling me I should play it yet I hear about the controller throwing stress it can induce in him. The mellowest dude on the planet! Theres no way I could play these games all the way through and maintain my sanity!

Phatty

Dark Souls was a good game, but I certainly don't have the level of commitment to it that some of my friends do, lol. One of my buddies has logged over 500 hours playing it.

I have a friend who keeps telling me I should play it yet I hear about the controller throwing stress it can induce in him. The mellowest dude on the planet! Theres no way I could play these games all the way through and maintain my sanity!

I really think the difficulty is overstated. As long as you take on the enemies one by one and remember to block then you'll rarely die.Some of the boss fights are pretty crazy, but the feeling of genuine accomplishment from beating a challenging boss is something I don't get from many other games.

hack_attack
    Participant

Have you guy's played Dragon's Dogma? That game is very similar to Dark Souls, but in my opinion quite a bit better. It isn't QUITE as challenging, but some of the big monsters offer an extremely fun fight because one of the dynamics of the game is that you can climb all over the big enemies and target specific areas of their body. For instance: there are chimeras wandering the countryside (which is f-cking massive, btw) and to really get the upper hand, you have to first take out the snake tail, which shoots poison acid, then disable the goat head, which shoots magic, before finally taking out the main body with the lion head. It is a  really fun game with tons of side quests and a pretty cool story. Definitely something I would recommend.

Phatty

Have you guy's played Dragon's Dogma? That game is very similar to Dark Souls, but in my opinion quite a bit better. It isn't QUITE as challenging, but some of the big monsters offer an extremely fun fight because one of the dynamics of the game is that you can climb all over the big enemies and target specific areas of their body. For instance: there are chimeras wandering the countryside (which is f-cking massive, btw) and to really get the upper hand, you have to first take out the snake tail, which shoots poison acid, then disable the goat head, which shoots magic, before finally taking out the main body with the lion head. It is a  really fun game with tons of side quests and a pretty cool story. Definitely something I would recommend.

I did play the demo when it came out but (based on the demo), I didn't like it.I might still pick it up. I do enjoy open world RPG's.Speaking of demos, anyone played Metal Gear Revengance yet?I've had it downloaded for a few days now but I haven't had chance to play it yet.

hack_attack
    Participant

Probably the best thing about Revengence is that cutting mechanic. Cutting up a car into 1300 pieces just because fuck, why not? Yeah, that's fun.

thestiffmeister
    Participant

I rarely watch the more mainstream anime, especially the shounen stuff as it grates me with all the magic and super powers. In the past two-three years I had too much free time so I was constantly digging for the good stuff. Here's a list of my favorite, sometimes, slightly pretentious anime, in no particular order.Legend of the Galactic Heroes (probably my favorite on this list, tied with Texhnolyze)Terra e (unfinished, but awesome thus far, probably will make it to my top 3)Texhnolyze (awesome, it's hard to describe, but also pretentious and slow as hell, the kind of anime that will make you want to blow your brains out in despair haha)Cowboy Bebop (everyone knows this one)Gungrave (definitely must watch)Durarara (shounen but pretty good)Berserk (any real man must watch this)Shigurui Death FrenzyBlack LagoonGreat Teacher Onizuka (awesome, must watch)GantzBokuranoAkiraPaprikaBoogiepop PhantomRurouni Kenshin (the OAV)Speed Grapher (not great, but I enjoyed it)TTGL (awesome, and shounen but doesn't matter, must watch)Monster (must watch)Planetes (must watch, starts off a bit mundane but gets epic)

hack_attack
    Participant

I like a good chunk of those. Have you seen the Rebuild of EVA movies?Also, I see Steins;Gate is not on that list. Is this because you have not seen it, or you, wisely, believe it deserves its own thread, if not its own forum section, because it does! I would probably recommend watching that ASAP if you haven't seen it. I am a very big fan of critically analyzing entertainment, so I get a big kick out of stuff like deconstructions. As such, Madoka magica is a great series I think. I also am a big fan of stuff that is relevant to today, so I like Eden of the East and [C] Control - The Money and Soul of Possibility.

thestiffmeister
    Participant

I've heard about Madoka magica, but I really hate that kind of art style with a passion. Heck, I couldn't watch Higurashi because they have moe blobs in there haha.About the EVA movies, I have heard they are excellent, but I didn't dig Evangelion because the characters were all insufferable. I find it hard to identify with wimpy male leads especially, so unless Shinji turns into a gigantic badass overnight, I'd probably not enjoy it very much. Ah, you are the second person who recommends I should watch Stein's Gate. It was on my to watch list for a while, so as soon as I am done with Terra e, I'm watching that. Gonna add Eden of the East and (C) Control to my list as well.Oh, and I forgot, Welcome to the NHK which is one of the rare animes with a loser protagonist I really enjoyed.

hack_attack
    Participant

Welcome to the NHK is fantastic as well. Very original.Madoka you...well you get used to the art, and in the later episodes especially there are instances where it is just beautiful and works perfectly. As far as Rebuild goes...the stark difference between the original series (and all the pretentious insufferable, whiny, shitty awful shit that goes with it) and the Rebuild movies is so great that they are basically completely different shows. The direction the movies take is darker and more psychological, but the critical element that is added to the movies is that humans and humanity are redeemable. This subtle change completely shifts the series from "shit that just happened to be revolutionary" to "phenomenal series that is just as revolutionary." As far as Shinji being a gigantic badass..he is. He still does some crying, but this time it is actually something you can relate to. I would cry in those situations too. And it never feels whiny. By the time he has learned to accept his role as an EVA pilot, he goes into full on badass mode in an INSANE way (as shown by the ending sequences of the first two movies.) Steins;Gate is easily one of the best things I have ever seen. I would definitely get on that.

David Margittai
    Participant

Steins;Gate is easily one of the best things I have ever seen. I would definitely get on that.

Yeah...watched the first episode and wasn't completely sold. Watched the second...I'm in.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Anime and such

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?