Are they equal? HIIT vs Tabata

• This topic has 5 voices and 7 replies.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Penny Danner
    Participant

When I started here, I was doing Tabata 2x/week (either kb swings or spin bike), walking a lot and doing 2 big lifts plus a few accessory lifts that go along with what body parts I'm working (following a 50/70/85%/1RM cycle).Over time (the past month), I changed to HIIT (running sprints/hill sprints), SW and less walking (I know...shame on me).So I'm wondering.....is Tabata (8 rounds of 20 sec on/10 sec off) equal, inferior or superior to HIIT?  Any difference in results?  (I'm doing CN btw)

Penny Danner
    Participant

Big Tex?  Ibob?  Anyone?

Robert Gray
    Participant

In my mind, Tabata is HIIT, just a timing system for it with a name. Tabata, Fartlek, et al are just variations on HIIT, which should be beneficial in a lot of different timing schemes. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Richard Schmitt

Oh shoot I didn't even see this. Like what Bolo said, it correlates with timing. Going 10 seconds all out with compared to 30 seconds will possibly show some differences in glycogen use and mobilizing body fat, but both do get the job done. If you're short on time, Tabata will work, if you have 30 minutes to spare then 30 second bursts with longer rest periods are good. I also believe the 30 seconds bursts with 3-4 minute rest periods help with stimulating muscle growth. At least if I recall correctly.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Conditioning really isn't my thing, I don't really know much about it.  Tabata relies on accumulated fatigue, whereas HIIT allows for almost full recovery in between each set.  They will have two different training effects.Tabata has 160 seconds of 100% output.  My guess is it would be roughly equal to a HIIT session with eight 20 second rounds with respect to glycogen depletion.  I think the difference lies in which energy system is developed.

Penny Danner
    Participant

Thanks y'all!When I first started CN, I was doing Tabata 2x/week and lifting 3x.  Then I changed to running sprints (30-40 sec; 2:30-3min rest) instead of Tabata.  My body is acting weird lately so I'm giving it 2 more weeks with the HIIT and I plan on changing a couple things to see what works the best.  I saw good results with NO PWO shakes, lifting 3x/week, Tabata 2x (AFTER my lifts, not before).  Now I seem to be going in the opposite direction so not sure what is going on.

Holly Dulaney
    Participant

Thanks y'all!When I first started CN, I was doing Tabata 2x/week and lifting 3x.  Then I changed to running sprints (30-40 sec; 2:30-3min rest) instead of Tabata.  My body is acting weird lately so I'm giving it 2 more weeks with the HIIT and I plan on changing a couple things to see what works the best.  I saw good results with NO PWO shakes, lifting 3x/week, Tabata 2x (AFTER my lifts, not before).  Now I seem to be going in the opposite direction so not sure what is going on.

Oooo, keep us posted as I'm curious about your results with the different approaches!  I wondered what's the best approach.  I currently tabata with KB swings, battle ropes, jump rope, or the like. 

Penny Danner
    Participant

OH I've switched this around since then.  I DO PWO shakes, lift 4x/week (Shockwave), HIIT 2x/week (on 2 of my lifting days) and walk.  I'm back to work now so I may do Tabata on one day and HIIT on the other since I won't have as much time during the week, so tabata one day and HIIT one day on the weekend after CN.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Are they equal? HIIT vs Tabata

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?