Are You Stronger or Just Better?

• This topic has 3 voices and 8 replies.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Gnomer
    Participant

this goes along the lines of a discussion i had in Spatz loghttp://www.t-nation.com/training/are-you-stronger-or-just-betteralso listen to this.. well at least the first 30 to 45 min of ithttp://www.getmightynow.com/mighty-cast-91-deadlift-delusion-nick-tumminello

Mag
    Participant

That freakin article was written by someone who has wwwaaaaaayyyyyy too much time on their hands.I'll shorten it up for everyone:"Don't let an improvement in technique convince you that you just got stronger.You just got more efficient at a certain exercise movement".

Mag
    Participant

This is not exactly what you guys were talking about with Spatz,IMO.

Gnomer
    Participant

This is not exactly what you guys were talking about with Spatz,IMO.

not exactly no but has some points i was trying to make, specifically the parts about why you are going to the gym and what you are training for

Mag
    Participant

I still work a physical job (construction).I think that workouts help my job performance tremendously.Especially over the long term,when I consider I am never injured and don't have back problems or a load of other problems like most folks I know.I would say that the workout exercises don't directly or closely replicate anything I do,and I don't have to be explosive.But every once in a while I need to be.And I can summon that strength much easier than other people.

Gnomer
    Participant

this is a good podcast i think people will enjoy on this topichttp://www.getmightynow.com/mighty-cast-91-deadlift-delusion-nick-tumminelloi think the main point is if you are not a powerlifter doing a routine like 5/3/1 or other powerlifter routines are somewhat pointless to a large % of the population unless of course you just enjoy them.. but there are plenty of other forms of lifting and exercise that can get you stronger and healthier for everyday life activities and with much less risk of injury and people might actually enjoy more

Mag
    Participant

I really think if you are willing to make a lifetime commitment to fitness(and muscle development) it's a great idea to have some sort of powerlifting base.Even if you move away from it later (as I have).You can always go back to it when desired.It's a great tool in the toolbox.I don't think there is anything equal to taking a barbell off a squat rack so heavy it makes you see stars,and blasting that weight back up.It gives you a confidence that is difficult to describe.I think 5-3-1 is probably the best route for a guy to hit a squat and deadlift in the 400 lb plus range.That is a base that every guy should have.And yes,I would agree with that type of training you probably won't feel the most athletic,maybe even heavy and slow,but it's just temporary.Anyone can always move back to a more athletic form of training.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

this is a good podcast i think people will enjoy on this topichttp://www.getmightynow.com/mighty-cast-91-deadlift-delusion-nick-tumminelloi think the main point is if you are not a powerlifter doing a routine like 5/3/1 or other powerlifter routines are somewhat pointless to a large % of the population unless of course you just enjoy them.. but there are plenty of other forms of lifting and exercise that can get you stronger and healthier for everyday life activities and with much less risk of injury and people might actually enjoy more

I think that is a little short sighted.  Strength training is beneficial to nearly everyone and getting stronger in your lifts will make physical tasks easier up to a certain point.  Most people don't need to bench 300 or deadlift 500, but increasing those lifts will improve your performance in other areas of life.  If you know anything about Strength and Conditioning theory and research, maximal strength is the foundation of all physical qualities.  You increase maximal strength, all other physical qualities will increase up to a point.  Strength training with the powerlifts is the most efficient way of increasing maximal strength.  Other forms of resistance training can make you strong, but strength training will give you the most bang for your buck.I read that article a couple days ago.  I agree with most of it, but part of being strong is about optimizing your leverages, creating tension and torque, and being kinesthically aware.  Learning proper form will help you with that.

Gnomer
    Participant

think the podcast i linked covers it a lot better than the article does

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Are You Stronger or Just Better?

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?