Bands

• This topic has 6 voices and 28 replies.
Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author

Melvin McLain
    Participant

Ordered from ebay, $29.99 for a pair (35lb), shipped. Should be here on or about Wednesday. 🙂

Melvin McLain
    Participant

Hmmm… I'm guessing body oils & sweat aren't good for the band material.Do you guys use some type of handle (or whatever) with them?

Igor Vidovic
    Participant

Hmmm... I'm guessing body oils & sweat aren't good for the band material.Do you guys use some type of handle (or whatever) with them?

Yes. Grip it harder

training log
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yQ7u-n9iU7R910fUgcAEo5NJoUZzT3w1zLC5qYyaGZE/edit#gid=1795865688

TCB
    Participant

While I do think bands are valuable, especially for “mobility” type things… You're better off going through proper progressions in order to get pullups, as opposed to using a band.A good tutorial series: http://moveskill.com/2014/04/from-none-to-one-erins-path-to-pull-ups/As for the bands' durability: don't even worry about it. Unless you're taking sharp stuff to them, you won't hurt them.

Melvin McLain
    Participant

Yeah… I still weigh somewhere north of 350, so pullups are not a near-future option. I can do overhead pull-aparts with the bands, or even loop them over my pullup bar and do seated pulldowns.I was just wondering if you guys use anything (even a towel) to avoid sweaty/oily skin contact with the bands. But apparently not.Thanks. 🙂

Robert x Oleary
    Participant

Yeah... I still weigh somewhere north of 350, so pullups are not a near-future option. I can do overhead pull-aparts with the bands, or even loop them over my pullup bar and do seated pulldowns.I was just wondering if you guys use anything (even a towel) to avoid sweaty/oily skin contact with the bands. But apparently not.Thanks. 🙂

I wouldn't worry about sweat being corrosive or skin oil. These things are meant to be stepped on and have all sorts of grime and stress applied. Their sturdy enough to handle some epidermis.  Not sure if you're a raw lifter or prefer using gloves and the like, but to untrained hands they can be pretty harsh. Just a heads up.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Yeah... I still weigh somewhere north of 350, so pullups are not a near-future option. I can do overhead pull-aparts with the bands, or even loop them over my pullup bar and do seated pulldowns.I was just wondering if you guys use anything (even a towel) to avoid sweaty/oily skin contact with the bands. But apparently not.Thanks. 🙂

I wouldn't worry about sweat being corrosive or skin oil. These things are meant to be stepped on and have all sorts of grime and stress applied. Their sturdy enough to handle some epidermis.  Not sure if you're a raw lifter or prefer using gloves and the like, but to untrained hands they can be pretty harsh. Just a heads up.

You're talking about bands?

Robert x Oleary
    Participant

You're talking about bands?

Yeah, a few of my clients don't do well with the consistent rubbing and pulling the rubber hads when stretching and retracting against there skin. People with sensitive skin tend to require grips or gloves.

Melvin McLain
    Participant

Good to know, thanks.My hands are pretty soft these days, but back when I could work (mechanic/welder) the palms/fingers were kinda leathery. 😀

Melvin McLain
    Participant

Do any of you guys have the (Jump Stretch) 35lb monster mini bands?The description claims they're 3/8" thick, but these are 1/4". I talked to the guy on the phone, and he said the description was incorrect, but if they're black (these are) then they are 35lb because the 25lb ones are red.Thoughts?_

Cory Magno

Look into bodylastics, great bands that last forever

Melvin McLain
    Participant

Thanks for the info. 🙂I don't plan to buy any more (at this time, anyway), these are sort of a stop-gap measure until I lose enough weight to do pullups again.

Robert x Oleary
    Participant

Thanks for the info. 🙂I don't plan to buy any more (at this time, anyway), these are sort of a stop-gap measure until I lose enough weight to do pullups again.

Fwiw: I still use bands as a body builder. They are awesome for pushing strength curves, progressive overloads, failure sets, and stop/pause/drop sets on assisted pull ups. If you can get a good deal on them, they are awesome tools to have handy. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Melvin McLain
    Participant

Good to know, thanks.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Bands

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?