Barbell Complexes?

• This topic has 10 voices and 13 replies.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

AkumaZ

Anyone try barbell complexes like the Bear, the Deadly 8 etc instead of stuff like fartlek training?Does it have a place in CBL or CNS?Asking because I am not a big fan of running, though sprints might not be so bad

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I am not a fan of any sort of resistance cardio.  At least for me my muscles get exhausted before I can get my heart rate up.

AkumaZ

Interesting, so does it not have a place in CBL/CNS?  At least compared to say sprints or fartlek training

Lasse Elsbak
    Participant

I've used bb complexes in the past. Me and a training partner did an “I go, you go” kind of setup. If you do it right it definitely counts as HIIT!

maxwkw

I am not a fan of any sort of resistance cardio.  At least for me my muscles get exhausted before I can get my heart rate up.

I hate them but for the opposite reason. It feels too much like cardio while I'm doing it (I hate cardio) and I don't want to feel that way when lifting. I love lifting.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I hate them but for the opposite reason. It feels too much like cardio while I'm doing it (I hate cardio) and I don't want to feel that way when lifting. I love lifting.

I hate cardio too, but I do like the conditioning from cardio because it helps my lifting.  I don't like doing barbell complexes because I don't want to wear my muscles whenever I'm not strength training.

I'm going to go against the grain here and say that I really enjoy barbell complexes for cardio ; particularly Cosgroves evil 8!  I've not noticed them effecting my strength training, they wake me up in the morning and help me burn fat.  I limit it to 2-3 times per week maximum, and if it starts to affect my strength training it gets knocked on the head.  I say why not try it and see how you get on.

sckiely
    Participant

I'm going to go against the grain here and say that I really enjoy barbell complexes for cardio ; particularly Cosgroves evil 8!  I've not noticed them effecting my strength training, they wake me up in the morning and help me burn fat.  I limit it to 2-3 times per week maximum, and if it starts to affect my strength training it gets knocked on the head.  I say why not try it and see how you get on.

+1 to Cosgroves and I will have to add Dan Johns as they definitely are built around some heavy loading and will build muscle and increase conditioning.

+1 to Cosgroves and I will have to add Dan Johns as they definitely are built around some heavy loading and will build muscle and increase conditioning.

What are Dan John's complexes?  I've had a Google and there's rather a lot out there.  Do you have an example of one?

AdamFiddler

There is no vaccination for the Prowler Flu…

pita413
    Participant

There is no vaccination for the Prowler Flu...

I think the best relationship i ever had is the one with the prowler

nolan philpott
    Participant

How much of it comes down to personal preference – for example, if I EVER do something I may consider cardiovascular, it's within the lactate threshold. For me, personally, I don't see the need to so anything aerobic as I don't have the need for it(I'm not running anywhere anytime soon and my Vo2 max isn't bad anyway at 69). So the only "cardio" workouts I do at the moment are Db Complexes - (working in a 8RM range on the weakest movement - Squat to press) DL x 10rev lunge x 5 each legfloor press x 10Bentover row x 10RDL x 10Squat to Press x 53-4 mins rest(active rest at 2nd minute for a minute - something light like star jumps, elevated mountain climbers) and repeat 3-5 times.I don't consume any carbs post complex. I train in the afternoon as well but I try to avoid training legs on Complex days. It's debatable as to whether I'm weaker in the afternoon workouts due to wiping out glycogen from my morning complex. I probably am but I don't feel inhibited by it(I rarely throw in the towel in the afternoon workout and always feel pretty good). I'm wondering if I should consume CHO after these complexes to offset anaerobic glycolysis which may affect my afternoon workouts? If the purpose of these complexes is fat burning then perhaps I should stay ULC post complex? Finally these complexes are less than optimal for fat loss and are maybe too catabolic for muscle gain/ fat loss protocol?I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks all.

cmgd1

What are Dan John's complexes?  I've had a Google and there's rather a lot out there.  Do you have an example of one?

http://danjohn.net/pdfs/complex.pdf

backlash79

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/rebuild_yourself_with_complexesAnother article by Dan with some more complexes ideas.I like complexes every now and then.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Barbell Complexes?

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?