Basic Kettlebell workout

• This topic has 4 voices and 16 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

sckiely
    Participant

Before you try this please remember that technique is much more important than Load, Use a Kettlebell you can swing 20 times with 2 hands: Kettlebell Swing (SW)Goblet squat (GS): hold kettlebell by the horns, with ball at bottom! Holding KB close to chest squat to FULL squat position! Ass to grass.20mins total time:5x Goblet squats15x SwingsDo as many rounds as possible in the 20 mins, only rest when needed, DO NOT skimp on your technique to get more repsMake this harder by adding reps, resting less or loger total time, Builds great hip mobility/ strength plus a great fat burning session for any strength level

Allenxld

Excellent. Thanks!

sckiely
    Participant

I want to clarify something! Kettlebells are a tool! You can achieve whatever goal you want with a variety of tools.I say this as people seem to think that you don't build muscle with kettlebells. People think theyAte good for cardio and conditioning.To those people I want to ask this:- " can you strict press with 1 arm a 48kg kettlebell?" or "could you safely swing that same KB for 20 reps?" or lastly "could you front squat, clean and press THEN swing that KB for reps before swapping sides, WITHOUT putting the bell down?" and yes I CAN do all those things!You can use many tools for many goals, so think a bit more outside the box!Sorry for the rant, I just had a bunch of crossfitters that looked like veiny sticks tell me they know how to use Kettlebells and all they did with them was swing them BADLY! When I asked if they wanted some help to learn how to use them they just said that they had been shown by their CF coach? Don't be limited by what you think you know? If someone offers you advice or help take it, THEN make a decision on whether it is useful! CBL is the perfect example of this! Many had doubts but now we all know it works!

AdamFiddler

" can you strict press with 1 arm a 48kg kettlebell?" or "could you safely swing that same KB for 20 reps?" or lastly "could you front squat, clean and press THEN swing that KB for reps before swapping sides, WITHOUT putting the bell down?" and yes I CAN do all those things!

Sckiely,Would you say those questions are a good gauge to ask with any weight you're currently using to tell if you are ready to move up or not?Adam

sckiely
    Participant

" can you strict press with 1 arm a 48kg kettlebell?" or "could you safely swing that same KB for 20 reps?" or lastly "could you front squat, clean and press THEN swing that KB for reps before swapping sides, WITHOUT putting the bell down?" and yes I CAN do all those things!

Sckiely,Would you say those questions are a good gauge to ask with any weight you're currently using to tell if you are ready to move up or not?Adam

If you can clean and press a single bell 5 -6 times per arm then move on to double bells with the same weight! When you can do that 5-6 times for 5 sets then move up to the next bell for single presses!I was watching these guys swing a 24kg bell very badly and they were telling me that KB's are a conditioning tool! When I explained that you can build great strength with them and size if you program correctly they looked at me like I was speaking another language?I don't use KBs exclusively. I use them in every training program though! I am doing Juggernaut at the moment and am using at least 1 KB exercise every session as an assistance exercise?To finish the answer to your question, if you can do 5 reps of each exercise in a row in that complex without putting down the bell then yes you should be right to go up a weight 🙂

sckiely
    Participant

I got this one from Geoff Neupert RKC, i love it for when i am short on time and really want to thrash myself. It is done with double Kettlebells, so be sure you know what you are doing. The idea is to GO HEAVY. DBL KB CleanDBL KB front squatDBL KB PressDBL KB SnatchIt can be done in 2 ways as a chain or as a complex. For the chain do prescribed reps for each exercise then move on to next without putting KB on ground, so 5 cleans, then 5 squats etc. Do this for a pre set time and see howmany rounds you get.Or for a complex, do 1 rep of each exercise for a set number of rounds. That is 1 set (so 1 clean 1 squat, 1 press, 1 snatch- done 5 times would be one set)I like using time and Charles Staleys Density training for this sort of thing, doing more in the same time. Have FUN  😮

Richard Schmitt

Sckiely, curious do you have more circuits for a good fat burning session? I just recently purchased 2 15lbs KB!

gillypearl

Sckiely, curious do you have more circuits for a good fat burning session? I just recently purchased 2 15lbs KB!

You need bigger bells!  🙂I swing a 35lb bell for my heavy and two 20lb bells for pair work (and I'm little).

Richard Schmitt

You need bigger bells!  🙂I swing a 35lb bell for my heavy and two 20lb bells for pair work (and I'm little).

Trust me I know, I bought them to "start" off with because my father wanted to use them and also my younger brothers. So couldn't get something too big, I am looking into get a heavier set soon

sckiely
    Participant

A little pointer, anybody using KB's is only going to use 15lb bells for 5 mins, MAX!There is no way that they create enough load to get the appropriate effect. Sorry Tex.Your minimum starting weight should be a 16kg bell. And have a 20-24 ready to move up to in swings very quickly.About workouts I have heaps, PM me and I'll explain. However the basics work best if it is new, combinations of swings, getups, clean and press and goblet squats.Pick a time frame and practice to start with, don't worry about working out, just practice. The session will be much more productive that way. So say 15 mins each day to practice swings etc. Buy "enter the kettlebell" that will also help as it lays a super effective plan out for you!

AdamFiddler

Sckiely,Would you rank the following two 10 minute kettlebell swing workouts for the goal of using the bell to help develop a 1-3 rep max deadlift?  The other part of my programming is taken care of with regards to this goal but I like using the bell for other reasons and want to include in my pull days.1)  10 Rounds of 10 Swings with 45 sec-1 Minute Rest As Heavy As Possible (AHAP).  AHAP being the heaviest possible weight I never have to put it down once I start swinging for any of these rounds.  2)  100 KB Swings for time at 75-80% of AHAPThanks for all your contributions to the forum and answering my questions.Sincerely,Adam

sckiely
    Participant

I would focus on much more volume than 100reps. How I would program this is on my squat day I would do very high volume with a medium bell. Using the 1 arm swing.So 2-400 reps. This will really give you movement practice and develop your grip. So sets of as many as possible per hand with good technique.Then after deadlift session, finish with 2 hand swings. Maybe 10 sets of 20 with a heavy bell. Really focus on the hip hinge in all KB workouts.

DreamCrusher

Sckiely, do you think it's ok to do 20min of KB swings 5x a week while doing CNS?

sckiely
    Participant

Yes, just rotate the intensity and type. So one day might be heavy, next one handed, next high volume, etc. Don't just do random swings set it up to compliment your other training. Great assistance work for deadlifts and squatsWill you be doing other training or just the swings? If you train heavy barbell stuff as well you will have to be careful to manage recovery!

DreamCrusher

I'm actually doing resistance training 5x a week and wanted to do kettlebell swings to mix in a different type of cardio.  I currently have a 40lb KB and get between 25-30 reps on the first set and then the reps start dropping.  The reason I ask is because it is a form of HIIT, I didn't want to burn muscle while doing CNS.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Basic Kettlebell workout

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?