Best advice for a CN beginner?

• This topic has 16 voices and 28 replies.
Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author

zewski

Thanks man! I'm basically just regurgitating knowledge I've gaines through Kiefer's articles and these awesome forums (as well as some small tidbits of my own wisdom)  🙂good point on the creatine dosing. I think it also depends on how big you are Kiefer's around 220 (a good 60lbs on me), so I'd assume he'd need more than me. I suppose it couldn't hurt to throw an extra serving or two in on workout days though.

legion78

OK, here is a breakdown of yesterday (non-workout, only HIIT session)7: 30am wake up, drink cup of coffee w/ 2 tbsp coconut oil and 2 tbsp whipping cream11 am: 2 Chorizo sausages cooked in 1 tbsp olive oil w/ 2 oz cheese1pm: 4 pieces Taylor ham (pork roll)4pm: 1 cup of coffee w/ 2 tbsp coconut oil & 2 tbsp whipping cream6pm: 3 tbsp Cashew butter (delicious)Stats: 200lbs...........want to get 180lbs. A few more questions:Should I be mixing BOTH coconut oil & whipping cream?I bought heavy cream because I saw it posted by someone on the site..........what would it be good for?Creatine, how should I use it and when?Sodium levels? Keep 'em low?How will I know when I am exactly in Ketosis? What sign should I look for? Dizzy spells, dark urine, hair growing on the chest..........what? I already know about ketostix but do not have any.

I'd only have 1 tbsp of coconut oil with your coffee, but that's a small change. The only reason is too much MCT's (which makes up about 60% of coconut oil's fat profile) at once will cause an unwanted spike in ketones. Some is good, too much is undesirable. However, there's no harm in mixing it with cream in your coffee (plus it taste good  ;D)However, since you're around 200 lbs it shouldn't be too much of a concern either. Kiefer goes over this in his "Justbig" radio interview in greater detail.Watch the sugar content in ham products as I've found most have added sugar...no buenoI'm assuming you're counting the carbs from the nut butter, but just be sure you're not going over 30g's which is easy to do with those since they're pretty carb denseJust take a tsp. of creatine a day however you want. Pre-workout, post-workout, before bed...doesn't matter just get it in at some point. The effects are cumulative not acute so don't worry about creatine-loading or getting to specific with it. I wouldn't worry about too much sodium, however if you start feeling like shit you may want to buy some "lite salt" which is a 50/50 potassium sodium mix. There's no problem with sodium, what gets most people in trouble is the fact that they're VERY deficient in potassium. It's when the balance between the two gets way out of whack that you run into trouble. As far as knowing you're in ketosis....-energy out of no where means you're probably burning fat- bad breath-urine has pungent odorAnd don't bother with ketostix. They're good when you first switch to ketosis because you're body isn't great at using ketones and will therefore excrete them in your urine. However, once your body actually knows what to do with them (use them for energy), you won't excrete as much and therefore the ketostix will tell you that you're not in ketosis. It's always better to just go on feel.Hope that helped, and if I'm way off on anything please feel free to correct me  😀

Hey Zew thanks for the help, uhhh..........nut butters...no Im not counting carbs, guess I should look. Taylor ham isnt really ham, its more like salt cured pork roll.............good amount of sodium, but thanks for the help with that one. How long dows it usually take to get to ketosis..........7 days maybe...so far Im on day 5

zewski

Yea you want to take the total carbs and then subtract the fiber to add to your “carb total” for the day. Do this with ALL your food. veggies, meats (there won't be any fiber, but sometimes sugar gets snuck in there), nut butters, etc.Everyone's different as you have to take in age, prior diet, your workout routine, and probably a ton of other factors. However, you should be switching over right around now. For most it sames like the 4 day mark is pretty much the turnaround point for most people as they've depleted glycogen by then. Again, this can vary

dawatts22

Yea you want to take the total carbs and then subtract the fiber to add to your "carb total" for the day. Do this with ALL your food. veggies, meats (there won't be any fiber, but sometimes sugar gets snuck in there), nut butters, etc.Everyone's different as you have to take in age, prior diet, your workout routine, and probably a ton of other factors. However, you should be switching over right around now. For most it sames like the 4 day mark is pretty much the turnaround point for most people as they've depleted glycogen by then. Again, this can vary

Vary widely and that's why Kiefer suggests 10 days as prep...you may not switch over until day 9.

zewski

If you want to speed up the progress do some HIIT, or some heavy lifting, and that will help you get things moving.

legion78

OK, now Im wondering about cheeses, I enjoy them alot and I know have are mostly fats……..so what is the concensus on this. Also do I want ot limit cleaner sources of protein in order to maximize fat intake?

zewski

Not sure what you're asking that isn't in the book…As far as what cheese to eat, the harder cheeses are normally almost carb free (<1g per serving)And just don't make cheese your main source of fat and you'll be fine. And it doesn't matter what source your protein is, just make sure that if its a leaner cut you add some fat to the meal to keep things even.

Big_R
    Participant

Hey i have a beginner question also i couldn't find on the forum......  Can you do a carb nite on a non-training day? Like sunday because i don't lift, but monday is heavy chest day.

IOWA.PharmD

Yes. Not optimal but acceptable.

Conrado Tiu
    Participant

Yea you want to take the total carbs and then subtract the fiber to add to your "carb total" for the day. Do this with ALL your food. veggies, meats (there won't be any fiber, but sometimes sugar gets snuck in there), nut butters, etc.Everyone's different as you have to take in age, prior diet, your workout routine, and probably a ton of other factors. However, you should be switching over right around now. For most it sames like the 4 day mark is pretty much the turnaround point for most people as they've depleted glycogen by then. Again, this can vary

+1  You may be intaking a lot more carbs than you think and perhaps not really going into ketosis or fat burning mode as much as what the program intends.  Cashews aren't nuts, they're seeds and are starchy (that means it's not a "nut butter" technically). Cashew butters have 4g of usable carbs per tbsp, and that's just for the plain ones, some brands actually add sugar to them, did you check? so your 3 tbsps  are already giving you 12 g all at once at least (better to limit it to under 10g per meal), almost half your 30g limit.  I know the devil is in the details . .  .

legion78

JESUS F!@#N CHRIST……………..OK, now that I have screwed this s!@t up again what the hell do I do. Do I still take the carb nite or do i continue on until i get to f!@#n the spot. Sorry if i am being foul-mouthed….it's not directed towards anyopne but Im frustrated………it seems everything Im trying to do is wrong and Im trying to make this work. I have a goal and deadline, but if i keep having to reset and s!@t then I will never reach it, WTF!?!?!?!?!!?

zewski

Do you have the book? Just follow what it says, it's really not that difficult. Just eat as close to 0 carbs as possible (the lower the better, never over 30), get in your fats, and let the diet work it's magic. Don't stress man cortisol will just cause fat gain  8)

Naomi Most

JESUS F!@#N CHRIST.................OK, now that I have screwed this s!@t up again what the hell do I do. Do I still take the carb nite or do i continue on until i get to f!@#n the spot. Sorry if i am being foul-mouthed....it's not directed towards anyopne but Im frustrated.........it seems everything Im trying to do is wrong and Im trying to make this work. I have a goal and deadline, but if i keep having to reset and s!@t then I will never reach it, WTF!?!?!?!?!!?

You have to count the carbs!  You're not doing *everything* wrong (don't let zewski's nitpicking get to you), it's just that eating 3Tbsp of cashew butter is a clear sign that you're not actually counting your carbs.What now?  I'd say, do 2 HIIT sessions of 20-30 mins a piece, spend another 5-6 days in ultra-low-carb (REALLY counting the carbs this time) and then do a Carb Nite.

"Taylor ham isnt really ham, its more like salt cured pork roll.............good amount of sodium, but thanks for the help with that one. "Haha You should know better trying to explain this to non-jersey people. How friggen great is it that we can have this though... a Taylor ham egg and cheese (skip the bagel) is finally a good thing lol

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best advice for a CN beginner?

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?