Bodyfat measurement, timing?

• This topic has 7 voices and 12 replies.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Dr. Rocky Patel
    Participant

So when DH'ers are doing BF % measurements, when in the week are you doing it (does it matter as long you are consistent)?Reason I ask is, i am going to get hydrostatic testing done on Saturday AM. My CN's are usually on Friday nights. Should I go ahead and have CN, and get dunked on Sat or postpone CN until Sat doing the dunk pre CN. My other option is to have my CN early this week like tonight since today is a lifting day for me. I know this is a silly question, but i thought i would get some opinions

jtrouve63

I wouldn't do the bf measurement after a carb nite. You will be holding a lot more water than usual and it could throw off the measurement.

Dr. Rocky Patel
    Participant

I wouldn't do the bf measurement after a carb nite. You will be holding a lot more water than usual and it could throw off the measurement.

I figured that, just wanted to see how others tests themselves, besides the mirror test

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

How would you get a hydrostatic test done?

Zach516

I figured that, just wanted to see how others tests themselves, besides the mirror test

I just use calibers on the day before a carb load and look to see if the measurments go down. Just keep it consistent. If you have a carb nite and get measured, make sure that your next measurement is also after a carb nite. Keep it consistent and you should be fine. Won't be accurate per say, but you will still see progress.

Dr. Rocky Patel
    Participant

How would you get a hydrostatic test done?

http://www.fitnesswave.com/portal/portal/getdunked/

tlfoxy

So when DH'ers are doing BF % measurements, when in the week are you doing it (does it matter as long you are consistent)?Reason I ask is, i am going to get hydrostatic testing done on Saturday AM. My CN's are usually on Friday nights. Should I go ahead and have CN, and get dunked on Sat or postpone CN until Sat doing the dunk pre CN. My other option is to have my CN early this week like tonight since today is a lifting day for me. I know this is a silly question, but i thought i would get some opinions

How much does the Hydrostatic test cost?  There's a place in Irvine that my sister lives near that I may check out. 

Damon Amato
    Participant

Not sure about hydrostatic weighing, but if you do bio-electrical impedance, doing it the morning after carb nite will show a lower bf%. It reads water in your muscles as lean tissue because the electrical signal will travel faster.

Dr. Rocky Patel
    Participant

How much does the Hydrostatic test cost?  There's a place in Irvine that my sister lives near that I may check out.

$45.00

Scruffy

I've been dunk tanked for school.  Its not much more accurate than other measures.  It assumes everyone has the same muscle density (which they don't, especially if you have been lifting for a long time).  Another thing is the age equations are jacked.  I took the test 3 days after my 20th birthday…. did the math as a 19 year old (age 16-19) and came back at 13% at 220.  Did the math as a 20 year old (the range is fucking 20 to 60!) came back as 15%.  I know thats not what the topic is about, but a lot of people consider hydrostatic weighing to be 100% accurate but it is not.  At least a 4%+- variance. 

jcgomez

So is there an accurate means to determine one's body fat percentage?

Damon Amato
    Participant

autopsy?

Dr. Rocky Patel
    Participant

19%, down from about 26-27% (skin fold) in the spring. I had the same measurement back in 2010 and i was at 24% then. According to the changes i am down 10 lbs of fat and up 2 lbs muscle. Hmmmmm, sounds like a CNS result

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Bodyfat measurement, timing?

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?