Canadian DHers: Casein hydrolysates

• This topic has 3 voices and 6 replies.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

BenjaminD

Dear Friends,Can anyone provide me with a line on casein hydrolysates from a Canadian company? I would love to get my hands on something like PeptoPro but ordering it from the US is not economically viable.Thanks in advance!Ben-jammin

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Dear Friends,Can anyone provide me with a line on casein hydrolysates from a Canadian company? I would love to get my hands on something like PeptoPro but ordering it from the US is not economically viable.Thanks in advance!Ben-jammin

Pepto Pro is a special type of Casein Hydrolysate, it cost about $10 more per pound.  Have you tried just ordering Casein Hydro (not Pepto Pro) from True Nutrition?  It is a lot cheaper.

BenjaminD

Pepto Pro is a special type of Casein Hydrolysate, it cost about $10 more per pound.  Have you tried just ordering Casein Hydro (not Pepto Pro) from True Nutrition?  It is a lot cheaper.

PeptoPro was just an example that I thought might spark some memories. In my experience, ordering from TN is not economically viable if you live in Canana. The shipping and duty costs are almost 1:1 with the cost of the product itself so a $100 base order will cost upwards of $150-200 in total.Sadly, as close as we are to the US, we can REALLY get gouged on shipping and duty costs.

Jimmy T
    Participant

Not sure when you last ordered from the US, but I haven't paid duties on anything from the US in many years (don't think it exists for any US made product).With the move in the fx rate, theoretically it should be cheaper to buy in Canada for many items, but I find Cdn vendors are slow to pass along the windfall gains.  Even when the fx rate was clearly at our disadvantage a few years ago, it was still cheaper for me to buy from the US, shipping costs included.What you are likely speaking of is BS brokerage fees that some seem to unscrupulously charge.  Most popular vendors have a proper deal worked out with a shipping company that offers a fair flat al-in rate, no surprises.  Just double check with the vendor.  Naturally you will face GST tax, just as you would in Canada.Last time I looked at Cdn suppliers, I couldn't find any casein hydro, only whey hydro.

BenjaminD

Not sure when you last ordered from the US, but I haven't paid duties on anything from the US in many years (don't think it exists for any US made product).With the move in the fx rate, theoretically it should be cheaper to buy in Canada for many items, but I find Cdn vendors are slow to pass along the windfall gains.  Even when the fx rate was clearly at our disadvantage a few years ago, it was still cheaper for me to buy from the US, shipping costs included.What you are likely speaking of is BS brokerage fees that some seem to unscrupulously charge.  Most popular vendors have a proper deal worked out with a shipping company that offers a fair flat al-in rate, no surprises.  Just double check with the vendor.  Naturally you will face GST tax, just as you would in Canada.Last time I looked at Cdn suppliers, I couldn't find any casein hydro, only whey hydro.

Whatever you want to call the fees, they're definitely there. Make an order on True Nutrition (without following through) and take a look at the price to have it shipped across the border. A $100 base order of custom protein would cost me over $170 to get it to my front door. That takes the price from about $18/lb to $34/lb which, of course, is ridiculous, regardless of how good the quality is.

Jimmy T
    Participant

I'm saying from my experience (and I order a lot from the US – if it's cheaper, my loyalty to country is set aside), I have not paid ridiculous fees. Using your own example, $100 order from truenutrition, shipping is $23 to Toronto. $200 order, shipping is $33.  I generally make large bulk orders to minimize. GST is an additional cost but that applies to any purchase from a Canadian supplier as well.Obviously you're not seeing the same.  Curious what the shipping charge is to your area and where do you live?

BenjaminD

I'm saying from my experience (and I order a lot from the US - if it's cheaper, my loyalty to country is set aside), I have not paid ridiculous fees. Using your own example, $100 order from truenutrition, shipping is $23 to Toronto. $200 order, shipping is $33.  I generally make large bulk orders to minimize. GST is an additional cost but that applies to any purchase from a Canadian supplier as well.Obviously you're not seeing the same.  Curious what the shipping charge is to your area and where do you live?

I order from EliteFTS and BB.com on a regular basis and I don't have a problem with their fees. TN seems to be the only problem. I just made a sample order and for 10lbs of isolate for about $115, it would cost $37 to ship for a total of about $152.I'm only down the road in Cambridge, too.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Canadian DHers: Casein hydrolysates

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?