Can’t do deadlifts?

• This topic has 5 voices and 9 replies.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Nicholas Alonzo
    Participant

I just want to throw this out there I can't do regular deadlifts they feel very awkward and it feels like I have terrible leverage.  When I first started doing deadlifts I stood on top of a box also known as deficit deadlifts and those are what I do to this day. I stand on top of a 3 or 4 inch box increasing my ROM and deadlifts just feel right this way.Anyone else feel this way?

Phatty

What feels awkward about a regular deadlift to you?Usually deficit deadlifts should feel more awkward than conventional since you have to reach further down to grab the bar.

Rob Haas

Get someone to check your form.

If you don't have a goal of powerlifting, and are purely looking for aesthetics and hypertrophy then the deficit deadlift is actually a better lift to do. It has a great ROM and will contribute more to hypertrophy then a tradition DL from the floor.

TCB
    Participant

Have you tried sumo? To some people, that is a more natural feel.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Lots of people feel more comfortable doing deadlifts at different starting positions than the standard 8.5 inches off the floor.  It just depends on personal leverages.That being said, what do you mean by "feel right"?

Nicholas Alonzo
    Participant

Lots of people feel more comfortable doing deadlifts at different starting positions than the standard 8.5 inches off the floor.  It just depends on personal leverages.That being said, what do you mean by "feel right"?

Well when I try to do regular deadlifts, and my hamstrings are that high I have a weak and slow drive out of the hole, but when I stand on a box somehow my legs starting in a deeper position gives me a strong drive out of the hole

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Well when I try to do regular deadlifts, and my hamstrings are that high I have a weak and slow drive out of the hole, but when I stand on a box somehow my legs starting in a deeper position gives me a strong drive out of the hole

Sounds like you have really strong quads relative to your posterior chain.  It could also be your technique.  Like what Trevor said, it doesn't really matter unless you want a big deadlift, however at the same time, it may expose a weakness of yours.You ever do stiff legged deadlifts?  You sound like you'd get more benefit from those instead of deficit deadlifts.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Sounds like you have really strong quads relative to your posterior chain.  It could also be your technique.  Like what Trevor said, it doesn't really matter unless you want a big deadlift, however at the same time, it may expose a weakness of yours.You ever do stiff legged deadlifts?  You sound like you'd get more benefit from those instead of deficit deadlifts.

I tried those for a few weeks But I never felt any muscle stimulation from them plus its hard to keep your knees locked. I tried practicing form but my knees would always bend during the lift.

Knees will always bend slightly in a stiff legged deadlifts.  Maybe post a video?

TCB
    Participant

I tried those for a few weeks But I never felt any muscle stimulation from them plus its hard to keep your knees locked. I tried practicing form but my knees would always bend during the lift.

That's a straight-legged deadlift.Stiff-legged deadlift you go from locked to very slight bend, then lockout at top again.Romanian deadlift keeps a slight knee bend through entire movement.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Can’t do deadlifts?

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?