Carbs into glycogen

• This topic has 4 voices and 10 replies.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Melvin McLain
    Participant

Assuming glycogen is somewhat depleted, and you eat a hi-glycemic carb meal…1. How long before that carb meal is converted into usable glycogen in the muscles?2. If the carb meal is low-fat (or hi-fat), does that affect the conversion time?Thanks.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Complex topic:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycogenesis#Control_and_regulationsIt would depend on too many factors to give an accurate prediction.  However usually you will clear blood sugar from any meal 2-3 hours after ingestion.  Not exactly what you're asking, but for practical purposes that's probably more useful.

Melvin McLain
    Participant

Huh. Well, I'm not so much interested in a laboratory-precise answer.Keifer mentioned that fats (other than MCTs) take a couple of hours to become available for energy. I just thought you guys might also have a similar "rule of thumb" on the time-frame from carb intake to energy output (and whether fats affect it).

Richard Schmitt

That's funny, I don't think CBL or CNS would be around without some sort of science/lab based studies or questions being answered.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Huh. Well, I'm not so much interested in a laboratory-precise answer.Keifer mentioned that fats (other than MCTs) take a couple of hours to become available for energy. I just thought you guys might also have a similar "rule of thumb" on the time-frame from carb intake to energy output (and whether fats affect it).

Carbs are available almost instantly after they are ingested, not the whole meal at once, but your blood sugar rises very quickly after eating a meal with carbs.  Your body does not need to convert glucose to glycogen for it to be used as energy.

Melvin McLain
    Participant

Carbs are available almost instantly after they are ingested, not the whole meal at once, but your blood sugar rises very quickly after eating a meal with carbs.  Your body does not need to convert glucose to glycogen for it to be used as energy.

Interesting. Are they still available as energy up until (and while) being stored as glycogen? Or do blood glucose levels drop faster than glycogen storage can take place?Thanks.

Jenelle Brewer
    Participant

Interesting. Are they still available as energy up until (and while) being stored as glycogen? Or do blood glucose levels drop faster than glycogen storage can take place?Thanks.

It is my understanding that the body tries to maintain a certain level of blood glucose at all times ... that it is constantly working to reach homeostasis.So the carbs are available for energy right away -- as ibob said, pretty much immediately.  If we are sitting around and NOT using them for energy, that extra blood glucose will go to refilling liver and muscle glycogen stores, and whatever can't be used there will be converted to and stored as fat.This is what I have gathered so far.  I am sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong.  🙂

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Blood sugar is always available for energy because you always have blood sugar in your system.  Otherwise you'd die.

Richard Schmitt

It is my understanding that the body tries to maintain a certain level of blood glucose at all times ... that it is constantly working to reach homeostasis.So the carbs are available for energy right away -- as ibob said, pretty much immediately.  If we are sitting around and NOT using them for energy, that extra blood glucose will go to refilling liver and muscle glycogen stores, and whatever can't be used there will be converted to and stored as fat.This is what I have gathered so far.  I am sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong.  🙂

Spot on ;D

Melvin McLain
    Participant

Thanks ibob and curious for the helpful info.

Melvin McLain
    Participant

In case anyone's interested, this PDF pretty much has the info I was looking for.http://smscsqlx.sasktelwebhosting.com/services/nutr/musclefuel.pdf

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Carbs into glycogen

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?