Cardio program for CNS

• This topic has 2 voices and 6 replies.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Brian Timlin
    Participant

Hi,I looked around everywhere for answers on this, but couldn't get the answers I wanted. I've a few questions I'd be very grateful Keifer or someone who knows what they are talking about with this can answer.I've started CNS.  I'm a male somewhere between 12-15% body fat.  Any extra fat that's really noticeably left is on my tummy, covering the six pack.So I want to get that shredded off.  When I can see the abs I will be low enough (I reckon about 8%) to change to carb backloading to get myself down to 5% body fat and then just do density bulk on carb backloading to maintain that body fat and add more muscle.I've no major concerns regarding carb backloading, although I'll have one or two questions on that too when the time comes.My question now is about exercise while doing CNS.  I'm a pro golfer so I do a lot of walking at least 4-5 times per week.  I also do HIIT 3 times per week and one 5k run per week.  I also do heavy resistance training 3 times per week.  Sometimes HIIT is replaced by soccer games, which could become 3 times per week soon and goes on for 1-2 hours per session.  How do I structure this on CNS, which I plan to do for about 4-8 weeks (or how ever long it takes to burn off the fat covering my abs)?When you read CNS Keifer says any cardio on CNS is not a good idea, even HIIT, and that if you do it do it in the few days after carb nite only.  Then in the shockwave ebook he advises 1hr of HIIT to get ripped.What's with the contradiction?Has his thinking on this changed?The last thing I want to do is be on CNS, and doing HIIT or playing soccer games when I've no carbs and my body instead goes to muscle protein and raised cortisol levels for days after to compensate.Also, regarding other forms of exercise like playing golf (18 holes burns about 1000 cals), how do I fuel that without getting wrecked on the course?  Will I be okay with a good CNS breakfast?  Does that also cause problems when there are zero carbs available leading up to a carb nite?If I can't do CNS then I'll switch to the fat loss protocol on carb backloading straight away and hope that gets me the results I want.Any answers on this would be great, because some of the info given on CNS and cardiovascular exercise is concerning, especially for a sportsperson.  Thanks.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

A couple things:1.  I highly doubt you will be able to get to 5% bodyfat using CBL.  I don't think you'd want to get that lean anyways.  It would be an absolutely miserable experience and you really can't maintain that year round.  5% is like contest level bodyfat.  Aim for 9-10%, that is much more manageable, and yes you will clearly be able to see your abs.  You will likely have veins popping in your lower abs.2.  I think the contradiction comes from the fact that CNS was written for the average person that just wants to lose weight.  Not someone who wants to be ripped.  You can do HIIT, just keep it to the two days after the Carb Nite.3.  Walking and playing golf is fine on CNS.  They are both low intensity activities.  However, I honestly would be careful about the other activities you do like soccer and the 5ks.  Don't push them hard.

Brian Timlin
    Participant

Thanks for that.Maybe I took this up wrong from Keifer's books and website, but getting ripped is supposed to be possible on carb backloading without misery, but we'll see.First I just want to get rid of the last 5-10 pounds that is on the abdominal area, that's my main aim.  It's been there and hard to shift for the last few years.I can forgo soccer and 5ks for a month or two while I do CNS.  I doubt that's a goer to be honest.  I mean with no carbs in your body you can say goodnight to things that go after glycogen, they will leave you in a heap imo.I think I will do HIIT for the two days after carb nite alright, just to stay fit.  I really hate not keeping fit (and I don't count walking ability as fitness).  I'll do heavy resistance 3 times per week after the HIIT days.What about performance in playing golf on CNS?  One thing I notice, and I'm only on day 6 of week 1, is that I'm not as sharp physically or mentally, and if it's been 2-3 hours since I ate then I get hungry and pretty sluggish.  I have to make sure I keep eating every few hours and maybe have a snack of nuts in between.And that's when not active.  I'd imagine something like 18 holes of golf, which is the equivalent calorie burning of walking 8 miles, will drain you more and quicker than inactivity.  I've not tried it yet, because this diet has been such a change for me that I wanted to ease back into things and see how I need to do it.So how do I counteract that if I feel beat after 9 holes?  Bring protein and fat with me?  It's not a question of stamina, it's more that in golf you don't want to dip in focus and energy, as then you can hit bad shots from that.On a normal diet, with full or half full carb stores, I actually like playing on a fairly empty stomach and just top up every six holes with bites of an oat bar or banana.But having zero carbs seems like a different kettle of fish, excuse the pun.I did some practise today for 1.5 hours after a protein fat meal (my carb stores are empty imo) and that was fine, but that was shorter and lighter than playing.  You'd have to practise for 6 hours to have the same physical effect as playing 18 holes.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I don't think you realize how lean 5% bodyfat is.  It is literally how a bodybuilder would look on stage.  10% is still very lean and is still considered ripped by most people's standards.As far as your golf performance, it may drop off a bit, but it shouldn't be too much of a hindrance.  You will need to eat well before a game of golf.  I would bring a snack with you if you get hungry.  A protein shake with MCT oil would likely be beneficial in this case.Keep in mind though once you get used to CNS, you will become fat adapted and your blood sugar control will improve.  As a result, you will be able to handle long periods without food without feeling terrible.Also how many times per week do you golf?

Brian Timlin
    Participant

Cool.  The blood sugar control was concerning me.  I'm glad to hear it will get better.Yea, I might be underestimating how hard it is to get to 5% body fat.  I'm a professional sportsman, what do you expect but insane standards? 😉I golf 5 times per week usually (pretty much daily if you count chipping and putting practise as well), but I took a week off this week to start the diet.  I'm just doing light practise to keep my eye in, but want to get back to normal in the next couple of weeks.Thanks for the advice man, really helpful.If I can help you with anything I will.  Very much appreciate it, cheers.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Cool.  The blood sugar control was concerning me.  I'm glad to hear it will get better.I golf 4-5 times per week usually, but I took a week off this week to start the diet.  I'm just doing light practise to keep my eye in, but want to get back to normal in the next couple of weeks.Thanks for the advice man, really helpful.If I can help you with anything I will.  Very much appreciate it, cheers. 🙂

I don't really know anything about golf, but if you have certain sessions that are more important than others during the week, I'd place the important one the day after the Carb Nite.  That's when performance will be the highest.

Brian Timlin
    Participant

Well, I'm in off season for golf now so its a good time to do this diet for a while.  I wouldn't do it if I was facing some big tournaments.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Cardio program for CNS

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?