Cardio – Sled Work

• This topic has 3 voices and 3 replies.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

I'm following a Beyond 5/3/1 program layout, and 3 times a week, instead of the 2mi walk, I've been doing weighted sled sprints.Currently loaded up to 180lbs, sprinting (if you can call it that) for about 20-25yds.  I do 10 lengths, just taking long enough to catch my breath between goes, but still feeling "uncomfortable" in between.Doing these because I'm training for a FF PAT, and part of the exam is dragging "Rescue Randy".Also, since this lights up my posterior chain, and gives me a huge quad pump, is it cool to CBL on that day as well?Thanks for any input.Los31yo, 6', 235lbs., BF-unknown

I'm following a Beyond 5/3/1 program layout, and 3 times a week, instead of the 2mi walk, I've been doing weighted sled sprints.Currently loaded up to 180lbs, sprinting (if you can call it that) for about 20-25yds.  I do 10 lengths, just taking long enough to catch my breath between goes, but still feeling "uncomfortable" in between.Doing these because I'm training for a FF PAT, and part of the exam is dragging "Rescue Randy".Also, since this lights up my posterior chain, and gives me a huge quad pump, is it cool to CBL on that day as well?Thanks for any input.Los31yo, 6', 235lbs., BF-unknown

No, you really shouldn't need to backload from this. It does work your legs but not like heavy resistance training does. It is a good way to flush blood to the legs for recovery as well as condition yourself.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

No, you really shouldn't need to backload from this. It does work your legs but not like heavy resistance training does. It is a good way to flush blood to the legs for recovery as well as condition yourself.

+1, unless you are trying to gain weight.However, if you are trying to lose weight, you may need to backload more than you normally do on CBL nights.  Also, I do think it's a good idea to take a protein + leucine shake after the sled session.

Yeah, I was guessing that.  I haven't lost any weight, but have leaned out a bit.  But it's slowed down a bit now.Thanks for the advice and I'll skip my CBL on my "cardio" days.As far as backloading, because of work schedule in AFG, it's basically, finish a 12hr, workout, Eat, then sleep.  Only have time to cram everything into one meal.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Cardio – Sled Work

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?