CBL putting on muscle but weight not going up

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Scott Claremont
    Participant

I’m at about 10-12 bf, I’m putting on really noticeable slabs of muscle but my weight is staying the same. Seems I’m losing body fat. Any suggestions to increase weight as not wanting to be a fitness model at the moment

Tony Sangimino

Increase carbs

Also, see all the density bulking advice that is shared around here.

Scott Claremont
    Participant

Here’s my findings at the moment. Less protein seems to put more muscle on, a lot more fat than protein during the day gives me more energy. Im’ already eating 2x per pound body weight of carbs!!

Tony Sangimino

Less protein won’t put more muscle on you.

More fat will give you more energy during the day, since it’s your primary energy source during the day.

2x isn’t that much. I eat around 800g when I’m in a volume phase in training, and I walk around at 185. Not that you should base things off of what other people do.

Gaining weight is by far the easiest thing to do. Eat more food. Carbs will influence growth factors more than anything else. Followed by protein and then fat.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Less protein won’t put more muscle on you.

More fat will give you more energy during the day, since it’s your primary energy source during the day.

2x isn’t that much. I eat around 800g when I’m in a volume phase in training, and I walk around at 185. Not that you should base things off of what other people do.

Gaining weight is by far the easiest thing to do. Eat more food. Carbs will influence growth factors more than anything else. Followed by protein and then fat.

Do you use CBL to get in 800 g of carbs? That sounds awfully difficult if you do.

Makoto Tomizawa
    Participant

Do you use CBL to get in 800 g of carbs? That sounds awfully difficult if you do.

I was wondering the same thing.

Training Log: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vuwHRdBaPVILxxLhXly_N1Ys66Hcwk4j-bM7nvKSLrI/edit?usp=sharing

Tony Sangimino

Do you use CBL to get in 800 g of carbs?

Yes.

If I have 2-3 workouts for the day the backload will start after the first or second session. Though most of the time if it’s just 2, I’ll do it after the second.

It’s pretty easy. It’ll start with a shake with added dextrose with a big bowl of cereal. Followed by 2 or 3 protein feedings (meat, cottage cheese, whatever goes with my carb source) and more big bowls of cereal or rice with whatever I’m eating. Tons of bananas help as well.

Low fat cinnamon rolls (my favorite are pillsbury pumpkin spice ones) have 57g of carbs and only 6g of fat or something like that. I can eat 4 or 5 of those pretty easily.

But keep in mind that numbers only in overreaching phases of training where I’ll have 12-15 sessions per week. It’s not an all the time thing.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Do you use CBL to get in 800 g of carbs?

Yes.

If I have 2-3 workouts for the day the backload will start after the first or second session. Though most of the time if it’s just 2, I’ll do it after the second.

It’s pretty easy. It’ll start with a shake with added dextrose with a big bowl of cereal. Followed by 2 or 3 protein feedings (meat, cottage cheese, whatever goes with my carb source) and more big bowls of cereal or rice with whatever I’m eating. Tons of bananas help as well.

Low fat cinnamon rolls (my favorite are pillsbury pumpkin spice ones) have 57g of carbs and only 6g of fat or something like that. I can eat 4 or 5 of those pretty easily.

But keep in mind that numbers only in overreaching phases of training where I’ll have 12-15 sessions per week. It’s not an all the time thing.

Ok I see that seems more manageable. It’s still a lot of food though.

I probably should increase my carb intake myself as I am trying to gain weight.

Tony Sangimino

Ok I see that seems more manageable. It’s still a lot of food though.

I probably should increase my carb intake myself as I am trying to gain weight.

It is a lot of food, but that’s what it takes to gain lol. This is where eating “dirtier” can come in handy.

Scott Claremont
    Participant

There wouldn’t be a way I could imagine, where one could eat 800g cleanly. “dirty” carbs are really the only way to reach that level and I agree the “best” way to make gains.

So would you suggest to eat carbs first then follow with protein and fat? example, 300 g sweet potatoes then fish and fat?
    Not protein first then carbs second?

Tony Sangimino

There wouldn’t be a way I could imagine, where one could eat 800g cleanly

really depends on what your definition of clean and dirty are. it’s completely subjective.

So would you suggest to eat carbs first then follow with protein and fat?

Not really.

Scott Claremont
    Participant

Clean being potatoes or rice. by my calculations 800 g of rice is 5 cups of uncooked rice
    dirty being processed man made carbs

Do you eat all that in one sitting or is it over a 3-4 hour period?

Tony Sangimino

Clean being potatoes or rice. by my calculations 800 g of rice is 5 cups of uncooked rice
    dirty being processed man made carbs

Do you eat all that in one sitting or is it over a 3-4 hour period?

There’s a lot more foods than rice and potatoes.

To me, “clean” is anything low fat and semi-low sugar. I think things like pop-tarts are “clean”. “Dirty” for me is pizza, cookies, cakes, donuts, anything that is going to have an excessive caloric load that will seriously impact weekly totals.

7-3 hours usually if i’m consuming that much. I sometimes do two 400g sittings in 4 hours though.

Scott Claremont
    Participant

What do you mean by seriously impact weekly totals?

What’s an example of the protein you have with those two 400g loads?

Tony Sangimino

weekly totals, either macros or calories

it depends, i like a lot of variety. pulled pork, lean ground beef, shredded beef, fish.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CBL putting on muscle but weight not going up

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?