Cheese and dairy

• This topic has 9 voices and 20 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Heisenberg
    Participant

Hey guys,I have been a little hesitate to include cheese during my ULC days, because of the bad rep it gets on the paleo diet. I am 215 about 15% BF and want to get down to 190 and under 10%. I mainly do Crossfit 3 4x a week with maybe a yoga session somewhere during the week. Will eating cheese benefit me during those days or slow the results down? I would like to know everyones take on dairy and cheese. BTW I love heavy cream and butter, just unsure about the cheese.  :-

Lesli Bortz
    Participant

I don't think I've heard of cheese having a benefit other than happiness  😛I also think it's very dependent on the person. It's one of those "try and see". Any detrimental affects are easily corrected by taking it out again. I see no harm in adding it.

I think it is definitely something people can over-indulge.  I will have 2-3 servings/week and I weigh and measure for accuracy.  Personally, softer cheeses give me some GI discomfort.I will occasionally use a grass-fed sour cream over some grass-fed ground beef.  That's also pretty tasty.  I know there are some cottage cheese believers on these forums as well.

Heisenberg
    Participant

Can y'll provide please some typical ULC day meals/days (breakfast, lunch, dinner) that some veteran carb niters eat to maximize fat loss? I really want to perfect this experience.

Richard Schmitt

Can y'll provide please some typical ULC day meals/days (breakfast, lunch, dinner) that some veteran carb niters eat to maximize fat loss? I really want to perfect this experience.

I suggest reading some of the Member's logs

Lesli Bortz
    Participant

I agree with tex, it's a quick way to get a lot of info but since I have mine in a cut/paste form I'll throw it on here.11/10 FOODS

• 8:00 - coffee, 1tbsp HWC
    • 12:20 - t3, CS, 15g WPI
    • 1:20 - 2 GFB hotdogs, 40g applegate bacon, 2tbsp low sugar ketchup
    • 8:30 - 2 GFB hotdogs, 40g applegate bacon, 2tbsp low sugar ketchup
    • 11:00 1/2c cottage cheese, 2 strawberries, 1/2 scoop casein powder
    • Snacks - dark chocolate covered almonds (2-4 randomly between 1:00-10:00), pepper jack cheese stick

0400 – T3 fuel, coffee w/ HWC, CO0700 - PWO shake, Carb Shock, 60g Whey Isolate, 20g Creatine0930 - Coffee w/ HWC1200 - 8oz grassfed beef, 40g bacon, 2 eggs1630 - 30g macademia nuts1800 - 8oz grassfed beef, 40g bacon, 2 eggs, sautéed leafy greens1930 - Natural Calm

Spatz

Yesterday was pretty simple.. and the carbs are rounded up. Generally I don't get this close to 30g carbs, usually sit around 10-15g for the day.0800 - Coffee & Heavy cream (3 carbs)1100 - 4 bacon, 2 eggs (5g carbs)1900 - 15 chicken wings from buffalo wild wings (Wild, Desert Heat, Buffalo) (20g carbs)Generally my first half always looks the same, wake up for some coffee and cream, 10am-12pm will be bacon and eggs, then I eat most of my food for dinner in the form of meat and veggies. (Steak and broccoli, meatloaf and mashed cauliflower, stuffed bell peppers, etc...)

cloudybrain
    Participant

So before, I was trying to include a variety of fats into my diet. Cheeses, nuts, avocado, butter.. and I asked myself what's the best fat out of all the fat's I've been eating. I've come to the conclusion, after listening to kiefer and reading a bunch of articles.. that MCT oil, coconut oil, coconut butter, and heavy cream are the BEST choices to have.I've also come to the conclusion that they should be the ONLY choices to have. There's no point in including all types of inferior fats. However, I did stop using MCT oil because of the $$ factor.. so what I do now is purchase coconut oil (since there's more places I can get them).. and I compensate for the 60% mct in coconut oil. So I add double the coconut oil.. so instead of 1 tablespoon of MCT oil.. you use 1.5 tablespoons of coconut oil.So anyways back to the choices. So I put 3 tablespoons of heavy cream in my coffee.. and 2 tablespoons of coconut oil... that's close to 50g of fat right there. My heavy cream costs $2 bucks, coconut oil costs $7. You simply can not do better than that. I've trained myself, to overcome indulgences, and really think about the type of goal I'm trying to accomplish here. And I think my goals are definitely better and triumph over any indulgences I may have. And to be frank with you, this simplified my day to day living greatly.. and I feel better and healthier by eliminating those extra types of fats.I was contemplating on getting cottage cheese, kiefer says this is okay. But all cottage cheese has maltodextrin in it (~4g carbs). The highest amount of fat I've seen was 4% milkfat. Still inferior.. but it's a very good choice for protein (~17g). Personally... I'd use this post workout as a protein source rather than fat.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I think cheese is a good addition to a ULC diet as it is very nutritious.  Just keep to one or two ounces.

cloudybrain
    Participant

I go to the gym every day on ULC.7:00ampreworkout.. 1 tablespoon of coconut oil with coffee. 1-2 tablespoon of coconut butter.9:00ampostworkout 5g leucine, 10g whey, 10g casein11:00am2 tablespoons of coconut oil, heavy cream, with coffee (1 tablespoon of cocao powder or 1/4 teaspoon of cacao butter, 1 teaspoon of ceylon cinnamon)12:00pm - I'd have turkey/chicken/or fish.3:00am - 2 tablespoons of coconut oil, 3 tablespoons of heavy cream, decafe coffee7:00am chicken/steak/or fishthen I'd have my 5g (eha,dha combo) fish oil supplements, 30g creatinewam bam thank you mam.Doing this meal plan has gotten me the best results I've ever had.

Heisenberg
    Participant

Thx for your input guys! Yeah cheese is one of those foods that I am starting to include now once or twice a week (maybe just the weekend). When I do buy cheese its almost always sharp cheddar and aged at least 6-12months. I've read that the longer a cheese is aged, the less lactose it’ll have. = the less lactose a cheese has, the less carbohydrates.  ;D ;DRead more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/cheese-unhealthy/#ixzz3JRKlJTuv

cloudybrain
    Participant

Shareef, the main reason why I chose to stuck with a narrow mind on this subject is from listening to this specific audio between Kiefer and Dr Patelhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OlXbY4kTDoButter and cream is something that has been championed to use on ULC. But this video says things about choosing superior fats over inferior fats. I've spents days.. hours.. $$ trying to find different inferior types of fats when I was on ULC.One of the worst cases of my research was looking for cacao butter. Wanting to try the flavor because of the chocolate subtly it'd add to my coffee.. I searched EVERYWHERE for it. I've literally spent 3 days looking for this inferior type of fat. When I found it, the thing costed $2.99 for 1oz. Do you realize how tiny that is?That's when it hit me.. why am I spending so much time looking for inferior alternatives.. just because of flavor.. when I have superior fats readily available and cheaper?That's not all.. Most butchers from grocery stores throw fats away in the garbage when they cut meats. For example, there's a BJ wholesale store where I live. Then I'd ask the guys who work there if they have any beef or lamb fat.. and they'll happy to give you some free of charge... they'll actually call you and give you a large package of fat! You can then use that fat to fry veggies.. wings.. burgers.. eggs.. and when you're done.. you can strain it and use it a few more time.

Scope75

Call around and ask for suet.It's free and is how/what you season/clean a grill before BBQing meat and what tallow is made from.

cloudybrain
    Participant

Hahaha when I told my butcher if they have tallow.. he's like.. “uh what?”.. I doubt he'd know what Suet is.. haha. But I'll ask. If he knows what that is.. I will give him the most bewildering surprise on my face.But all I told him was to give me any fats he cuts out from any meats. So I'm guessing suet will be part of it anyways.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Cheese and dairy

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?