Chronic calf cramps

• This topic has 12 voices and 29 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author

TCB
    Participant

Only calves man, really, really, bad lol. I started taking a magnesium pill everyday, drink lots of water, I dont add salt to anything but yellow mustard and hot sauce are my friends. But the only time i get them now is when I dont drink enough water during CN, then I wake up that night screaming bloody murder.

Had that twice when I was on CNS. The night of my CN. And you aren't kidding. I literally woke up in a scream.

Yup, mine would be so bad that days after there wouldn't be pain, but id be in a rest period on an upper body day, sitting on the bench and look down at my calves having spasms and twitching. Looked like there was something in them!! haha . I would try a magnesium tablet. Thats the only significant change I made when i noticed they went away. +I drink 16oz water every time i eat, and make sure to get +1gallon a day.

Unfortunately I already take Mg nightly. Have done so for 9+ months..And while I try to avoid drinking more than a cup of water with meals (lots of water with meals can dilute stomach acid production and cause some indigestion), I get around 4liters in a day.. Shit is frustrating!

Sharon W
    Participant

When my husband was really active on several ball teams as a 30 something he would get them all the time. He would take a pinch of alum in a glass of water. It seems to work.

CCT

I have been a chronic calf cramper, but once i started putting a pinch of sea salt in every glass or bottle of water i drink, the cramps have not returned

Water water water, avoid dehydration especially coffeeSent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Peter Hunt
    Participant

Coffee doesn't cause dehydration, not to any appreciable amount anyway.What's more important is to get sufficient sodium and potassium to prevent cramps, I'm testament to that as I used to suffer from them something fierce. Since adding lo-salt to drinks and sea salt to coffee on occasion they're virtually a thing of the past.

TCB
    Participant

Coffee doesn't cause dehydration, not to any appreciable amount anyway.What's more important is to get sufficient sodium and potassium to prevent cramps, I'm testament to that as I used to suffer from them something fierce. Since adding lo-salt to drinks and sea salt to coffee on occasion they're virtually a thing of the past.

Gotta +1 this..Someone in another thread I read recommended using Morton's Lite Salt, which is a 50/50 of sodium and potassium and since I've started using that stuff daily (AM coffee, pre-workout, and PWO) I've only had one nighttime calf cramp.. And it was the day after I did some triggerpoint on them, and that day trained them, then backloaded. And the great thing was it hurt like a bitch, but in the morning it was completely gone. Unlike before where the knot lingered for days.And yeah, coffee's dehydration properties aren't really anything appreciable.

Gl;itch.e

Gotta +1 this..Someone in another thread I read recommended using Morton's Lite Salt, which is a 50/50 of sodium and potassium and since I've started using that stuff daily (AM coffee, pre-workout, and PWO) I've only had one nighttime calf cramp.. And it was the day after I did some triggerpoint on them, and that day trained them, then backloaded. And the great thing was it hurt like a bitch, but in the morning it was completely gone. Unlike before where the knot lingered for days.And yeah, coffee's dehydration properties aren't really anything appreciable.

Minerals are so over looked its not funny. Just drinking more water without considering them can cause WAY more problems than its worth. Less water, more minerals is a great fix for anything cramp related. Even PMS ladies!

CBachelor17

+1 carbohydrate restricts leads to flushing if vitamins/minerals (at even greater rates than normal). Upping intake is going to make the problem worse. Up your electrolytes/minerals and cramping will go awayGotta +1 this..Someone in another thread I read recommended using Morton's Lite Salt, which is a 50/50 of sodium and potassium and since I've started using that stuff daily (AM coffee, pre-workout, and PWO) I've only had one nighttime calf cramp.. And it was the day after I did some triggerpoint on them, and that day trained them, then backloaded. And the great thing was it hurt like a bitch, but in the morning it was completely gone. Unlike before where the knot lingered for days.And yeah, coffee's dehydration properties aren't really anything appreciable.

Minerals are so over looked its not funny. Just drinking more water without considering them can cause WAY more problems than its worth. Less water, more minerals is a great fix for anything cramp related. Even PMS ladies!

Sharon W
    Participant

Concentrace is a great way to make sure you aren't missing essential minerals. I put 1/4 tsp in our kefir water, but you can put in any drink. It doesn't taste like much of anything. Maybe a little salty.http://www.amazon.com/Liqumins-ConcenTrace-Trace-Mineral-8-Ounce/dp/B000AMUWLK

CBachelor17

Multivitamins are even better…

Richard Schmitt

Get some Men's Gummies

Get some Men's Gummies

There's a homeless guy on the corner offering those in my town.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Big_R
    Participant

So, I'm really getting tired of my calves cramping. It's stupid painful and it limits mobility for days.Over the last 3-6 months, I've several times woken in the middle of the night with a gnarly calf cramp going on.. Haven't had one of those in a couple of weeks now, but today I was doing PSR leg curls, and my upper left calf went berserk. Pissed me off, I still had calf raises and such to do. I went ahead with the seated calf raises but I had to break up into sets of careful 10s because my mid calf would start fluttering on the edge of knotting up.Anyone have any ideas/suggestions/experience with calf cramps? I already take a maximum dose of magnesium nightly (as defined by the amount I can take before I become a slave to the porcelain God), drink 3-4 liters of water a day, I really dig into my ankle mobility on squat days, and I wear some compression calf sleeves either when I do calf work/jumprope/etc or after I do those things. Thoughts?

TCB, are your calves still cramping up? The solution to your problems is very simple,  get some calcium tabs.    Take them to the gym with you during your workout... I would either take them before or the first time around take them after you have done some calf work, if they begin cramping.... this should make them feel better pretty quickly too.      Give me feedback on my log when this works for you. small dosage for starters

TCB
    Participant

So, I'm really getting tired of my calves cramping. It's stupid painful and it limits mobility for days.Over the last 3-6 months, I've several times woken in the middle of the night with a gnarly calf cramp going on.. Haven't had one of those in a couple of weeks now, but today I was doing PSR leg curls, and my upper left calf went berserk. Pissed me off, I still had calf raises and such to do. I went ahead with the seated calf raises but I had to break up into sets of careful 10s because my mid calf would start fluttering on the edge of knotting up.Anyone have any ideas/suggestions/experience with calf cramps? I already take a maximum dose of magnesium nightly (as defined by the amount I can take before I become a slave to the porcelain God), drink 3-4 liters of water a day, I really dig into my ankle mobility on squat days, and I wear some compression calf sleeves either when I do calf work/jumprope/etc or after I do those things. Thoughts?

TCB, are your calves still cramping up? The solution to your problems is very simple,  get some calcium tabs.    Take them to the gym with you during your workout... I would either take them before or the first time around take them after you have done some calf work, if they begin cramping.... this should make them feel better pretty quickly too.      Give me feedback on my log when this works for you. small dosage for starters

I've only had one issue since I added in Morton Lite Salt, and I've been training calves 2x/wk so I think I pretty much solved it.

Ronok

Get some Men's Gummies

There's a homeless guy on the corner offering those in my town.

If he cuts it with some speed too, it'd make for a great addition to a pre-workout!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Chronic calf cramps

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?