Cinnamon and Turmeric blend (or curry) yield benefits for CN?

• This topic has 4 voices and 17 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

cloudybrain
    Participant

So curry has a few herbs known to create increased sensitivity to insulin. Keifer has used Fenugreek (an ingredient found in curry) for carb shock. But curry has other herbs such as cinnamon (insulin sensitivity – response) and tumeric (reduces inflammation and helps insulin response).For people waiting on Carb Shock to be released.. would including curry on your carb nite be an alternative? Maybe combine with leucine to help with the large insulin spikes when consumed with normal regular carbs?Really though, this was the first time I actually heard of fenugreek, and when I looked more into it.. all I saw was "found in curry". So maybe this would probably a spice I could have possibly been leveraging over the last few years I started carb nite.

You'd need a lot of curry spice to get the amounts and it probably wouldn't taste great at that point.

Richard Schmitt

Eh yeah that would NOT taste all that great in my opinion, and you would be way better off with 5g of Leucine instead haha.

cloudybrain
    Participant

Haha.. good lord 🙂Wellll... I have ceylon cinnamon (which tastes better than regular cinnamon in my opinion and isn't too over powering in taste). But, would I'd do is I'd make my own liquid spice using curry, and a higher percent of cinnamon/turmeric, add garlic powder, diced onions, chili powder.. with a touch of minced jalapenos.. and I'd drench that over a plate of rice and potatoes (or pad thai). With napkins on the side of course.I wouldn't ever suggest eating it with a spoon straight up just because of the health benefits.. (haha.. unless you want to take the cinnamon+tumeric challenge).. but cooking with those two ingredients giving you 2-3 grams for both spices would probably cause some nice effects for a carb nite. Right?

You are over thinking this way to much.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Cinnamon would be counterproductive.  We want to be more insulin resistant post workout, not sensitive.

cloudybrain
    Participant

Hahaha, you're right. It is a personal downfall.I do have a question though on what it means to be insulin sensitive. If you take something that is meant to be insulin sensitive on a ULC day, does that mean the insulin levels will be lowered; and that on carb nite the insulin will be higher when taken with glucose?My understanding was, if I was to take a supplement meant to be insulin sensitive every day on ULC.. my insulin should be pretty responsive once my carb nite rolls around. Correct?

cloudybrain
    Participant

Cinnamon would be counterproductive.  We want to be more insulin resistant post workout, not sensitive.

In that case.. cinnamon and turmeric would probably be like the carb-unshock..  ;Dmaybe better to take on ULC days.. counter to what was I previously discussed in my first post.The reason why I ask.. and I'm so hung up on it.. is because most of my cuisine consists of these two ingredients. Heck.. I even drink something literally called Tumeric Tea... been drinking it for years. I just don't wanna mess up my diet because I'm taking too much of this stuff.. and on the wrong days.And then Kiefer mentions using fenugreek.. and Im like.. woah now.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Hahaha, you're right. It is a personal downfall.I do have a question though on what it means to be insulin sensitive. If you take something that is meant to be insulin sensitive on a ULC day, does that mean the insulin levels will be lowered; and that on carb nite the insulin will be higher when taken with glucose?My understanding was, if I was to take a supplement meant to be insulin sensitive every day on ULC.. my insulin should be pretty responsive once my carb nite rolls around. Correct?

No, insulin sensitive means you don't need to produce much insulin to clear glucose from your bloodstream.  The more insulin sensitive you are, the less insulin you produce.  Caffeine is a better supplement because it makes you insulin resistant.Keep in mind though that being insulin resistant all the time is bad, as that is the pathway to diabetes.  However, since we are ULC most of the time, anything that makes us a bit more insulin resistant temporarily when we eat carbs, is a good thing since it results in more insulin.  This is the reason why we consume our carbs at night.A bit confusing, but that's how it is.

cloudybrain
    Participant

No, insulin sensitive means you don't need to produce much insulin to clear glucose from your bloodstream.  The more insulin sensitive you are, the less insulin you produce.  Caffeine is a better supplement because it makes you insulin resistant.Keep in mind though that being insulin resistant all the time is bad, as that is the pathway to diabetes.  However, since we are ULC most of the time, anything that makes us a bit more insulin resistant temporarily when we eat carbs, is a good thing since it results in more insulin.  This is the reason why we consume our carbs at night.A bit confusing, but that's how it is.

Wow thanks! I guess I'll use cinnamon and turmeric sparingly then.. great info

cloudybrain
    Participant

Don't mean to sound like I was thinking about this more.. because I wasn't.. but would it be possible to include active insulin sensitive ingredients to a day AFTER carb nite? So if our insulin is at high levels.. would one goal be to drop insulin levels sooner? Or am I wrong in this assessment?

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Don't mean to sound like I was thinking about this more.. because I wasn't.. but would it be possible to include active insulin sensitive ingredients to a day AFTER carb nite? So if our insulin is at high levels.. would one goal be to drop insulin levels sooner? Or am I wrong in this assessment?

I'm not sure, but I'd imagine that anything that makes you more insulin sensitive would be desirable while you are ULC.

cloudybrain
    Participant

It'd be interesting to see what kiefer's take on all this is actually since he never mentioned either herbs before. Yet on his interview with Primal Edge Health found here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeFjNC2oaSAHe talks about experimenting with all kinds of herbs coming up wit Carb Shock.I'd like to know why would Fenugreek (something known to help insulin sensitivity) be included in his Carb Shock product? Is this like a delayed effect.. where if you take it on carb nite.. the sensitivity of the insulin occurs the following day? I'm actually on my way of asking him this question right now.I'm just a little confused by this reasoning.. and don't mean to sound like I'm so stuck on it.

It'd be interesting to see what kiefer's take on all this is actually since he never mentioned either herbs before. Yet on his interview with Primal Edge Health found here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeFjNC2oaSAHe talks about experimenting with all kinds of herbs coming up wit Carb Shock.I'd like to know why would Fenugreek (something known to help insulin sensitivity) be included in his Carb Shock product? Is this like a delayed effect.. where if you take it on carb nite.. the sensitivity of the insulin occurs the following day? I'm actually on my way of asking him this question right now.I'm just a little confused by this reasoning.. and don't mean to sound like I'm so stuck on it.

It's included because the extract contains an animo acid called hydroxy4-isoleucine that increases insulin output when combined with carbs.

cloudybrain
    Participant

I guess the logic is a little confusing.. wherever you see fenugreek.. they correlate it to insulin sensitivity.. just like turmeric and cinnamon. But it appears the ingredient in fenugreek contradicts the insulin sensitivity aspect when associated with carbs.I wonder if the same holds true for cinnamon and turmeric as well.I tried to look up literature to explain this a bit more, but I keep running into walls and keep getting more confused.. now my cortisol level is high.. and feel like passing out.. though today is my carb nite.Though, tomorrow I will be trying my turmeric/cinnamon blend tea.. 1/2 teaspoon of each.. to see what kind off effects it has on my body. Before, I would randomly take this tea.. but now.. it's tea with a purpose. So if I have better control over my insulin on ULC days.. maybe carb nite will work even better for me.Btw.. I did try curry tea.. I almost vomited. Ugh.. that was friggin nasty. I do not recommend making a curry tea at all... totally not worth it. I still have the aftertaste just talking about it.. bleeckh!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Cinnamon and Turmeric blend (or curry) yield benefits for CN?

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?