CJ84’s Introduction

• This topic has 3 voices and 7 replies.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

CJ84

Hello all! I've just purchased Kiefer's Carb Back Loading Carbon Edition and figured as I intend to lurk around here and pick Kiefer's brain and gleam your collective wisdom I best introduce myself so you know who is perving on your posts!  ;D My background is kinda long winded but right now I am just out of my PhD and am currently finishing my Thesis (Skin Cancer therapy field). I'm a total information junkie, especially when it comes to nutrition, endocrinology, health and human performance - which is what really attracted me to Kiefer's book- its rooted in science and this guys really knows what he's talking about! I'm very much looking forward to applying the knowledge in the CBL protocol!As far as my training background goes I started out as a 100/200m sprinter and dabbled in middle distance ( I have some freaky assed genetics - bone structure of a cross country runner, muscle fibres of a sprinter) and started my obsession with weight training and nutrition through conditioning work for the sprints. I've never really been interested in getting big, due to the need to keep a particular condition for the sprints but I 'bulked up' a whopping 3kg to improve my weight to power ratio and floated around the 55-60kg mark ever since (ridiculously skinny I know). I left the sprinting behind due to my schedule on the PhD but kept the weights up and during that time it was suggested by a work mate and former powerlifting champ, after seeing some of my lifts, that I give a PL meet a go. What started as a bit of a laugh (a skinny 55kg 5'5 guy doing a Powerlifting meet looks hilarious) ended up as an interesting 'career change' after it went quite well. I've done a few competitions since, when time allows and am hoping to get back into it properly now my lab work is all out of the way. I dont pretend to know half of what most of the guys like Kiefer know about nutrition and training but have help a few individuals out along the way from a variety of sports with some great results. I know train using a blend of Powelifting/Building/Athletics type training based upon my needs but above all I'm here to learn as much as I can about everything, to improve and expand my knowledge! So now after that abbreviated yet long winded introduction. I'll get busy lurking!

Allenxld

Welcome CJ!

sckiely
    Participant

It's good to have you here, the back story provided is cool too! Very impressive sport variation  :D!If you don't mind me asking, what are your PL numbers? I am 5'6 but i weigh 88kg at 14.5% BF,i am planning my first PL meet in May here in Australia which isfairly exciting, but iamcompletely self coached as i live over 2 hrs fromany PL coaches?Just like the idea of a comp tomotivate me, i am then going to do Tough Mudder in September!  ;D

CJ84

It's good to have you here, the back story provided is cool too! Very impressive sport variation  :D!If you don't mind me asking, what are your PL numbers? I am 5'6 but i weigh 88kg at 14.5% BF,i am planning my first PL meet in May here in Australia which isfairly exciting, but iamcompletely self coached as i live over 2 hrs fromany PL coaches?Just like the idea of a comp tomotivate me, i am then going to do Tough Mudder in September!  ;D

Thanks for the welcome guys! sckiely, It's great to hear of someone giving powerlifting a go, Its a really underrated sport and a great way to have a good time and realise some potential. Plus I've found PLers in particular to be some of the nicest guys around, always willing to help and advise. As far as my lifts go, I usually compete in the 56kg class (which may or may not exist in your Federation) and train unequipped, the most I use is a belt for Squats and Dead Lifts and straps for heavy Shrugs.) I'd recommend, if you haven't already, find out which organisation your meet is run by and search for some past records and score sheets for your weight class to figure where you at. As the weight classes can be quite wide I've found it better to look at it as an individual thing to set your own bench marks. As far as my lifts go in competition....Bench 85kg (187lb)Squat 115kg (weak as F**K) (253.5lb)Deadlift 167.5kg (368lb)That post ended up much longer than expected - there is a reason why I lurk  ;D. I hope that helps you. Good Luck with the meet!

sckiely
    Participant

Thanks for the reply! I am quite excited, but i am completely self trained so a little worried about getting the lead up to the comp right and peaking at the right time! I've done my research in the organisation that seems to have a good following over here in Aus! My numbers should be competitive, i will be in the under 83kg weight classMy lifts are as followsSquat: - 200kgBench 155kg??? i hate BP  😀Deadlift: - 240kgThe numbers are pretty good from the results of comps that ran last year!

CJ84

Thanks for the reply! I am quite excited, but i am completely self trained so a little worried about getting the lead up to the comp right and peaking at the right time! I've done my research in the organisation that seems to have a good following over here in Aus! My numbers should be competitive, i will be in the under 83kg weight classMy lifts are as followsSquat: - 200kgBench 155kg??? i hate BP  😀Deadlift: - 240kgThe numbers are pretty good from the results of comps that ran last year!

Those are certainly some decent lifts! You wouldn't look out of place at a meet at all with those! If your anxious about the meet (even if you weren't) I'd really recommend going to see one before hand, in the organisation your lifting in so you know what your in for! I'd also recommend introducing yourself to people, competitors and judges, to say you are going to compete. Chat to them and fill them in on how you train, don't be shy on asking for their recommendations on how to train and peak for the comp. I'm sure they will help you out. One major thing to look out for is technique, especially on the Bench and Squat. Benching requires an extended pause on the chest before the command to lift, which you need to see and consider before hand. Squatting really needs a specific depth which needs to be considered also.In my view peaking is totally individual, there are several very thorough ways of both training and eating to peak but personally, if you are brand new to the sport and your lifts are like the numbers you have put up on a regular basis I wouldn't change a thing.  Make sure your rested and well fed and watered before the meet, turn up and enjoy the experience. The lifters you talk to may well say that to you also, but if they off to help you either with training or eating, even at a distance if you can't get there to train take them up on it!

sckiely
    Participant

thanks heaps for the help!

CJ84

No Problem, Hope that helps!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CJ84’s Introduction

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?