Coconut oil PROBLEM

• This topic has 11 voices and 15 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Igor Vidovic
    Participant

Hi I just wanted to let you know about little problem I'm having and to see if anyone experienced anything close to it.After my morning coffee with 1tbsp of coconut oil I seem to be getting nausea, almost throw up but then it goes away. don't worry not pregnant I'm a 30yr old male. I usually never get like that even in the past my stomach held up good to anything I ate. Anyone have the same reaction?Thanks

training log
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yQ7u-n9iU7R910fUgcAEo5NJoUZzT3w1zLC5qYyaGZE/edit#gid=1795865688

Jeffrey Hansen
    Participant

I was adding mct oil instead of coconut oil to my morning coffee and it also gave me a bad stomach ache, switching to coconut helped me.  Maybe try less or even a different brand of coconut oil.  To play it safe, get one in a glass jar so you can rule out plastic as being an issue.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

it could be the coffee.  Some people don't tolerate the caffeine well.  If not, then I would just ditch the coconut oil.  You don't need and I don't use it myself, I just drink my coffee black.  If you have to have something use heavy cream or butter.

Igor Vidovic
    Participant

Thanks I'll try butter and see what's up.  I can drink a pot of coffee with no problem so I don't think its the two cups of coffee. Coconut oil is in a glass jar and organic..I'll decrease the dose and see how my stomach handles that and switch with butter.

training log
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yQ7u-n9iU7R910fUgcAEo5NJoUZzT3w1zLC5qYyaGZE/edit#gid=1795865688

Igor Vidovic
    Participant

Here's another thought I will add heavy cream to my coffee before taking coconut oil in hope of cream coating my stomach thus reducing the nausea that I believe is caused by coconut oil. I will update you with results after I try that.

training log

Igor Vidovic
    Participant

So I added HWP to coffee before I do coconut oil and coffee and scaled down the amount of coconut oil and my stomach is handling it very well.  I did some digging around and many people out there have issues with nausea and diarrhea associated with Coconut oil. What is suggested is start small and gradually increase as time goes by to 1 TBSP of oil in the am. Could take a week or longer but slow and steady is the key. Too much will almost always give you the unwanted reaction. 

training log

Shane Layton

I just started having bowel problems as well, and it coincides with switching brands of coconut oil. The current brand is more liquid than the previous. I didn't have this issue before, but it occurs a few hours after I drink my morning coffee with coconut oil and heavy whipping cream. Yesterday I forgot my oil and I didn't have any issues. Today I used it again and again had the issue.

CptSmash

Most of the research articles I've read about MCT and coconut oil say that a good percentage of the people that consume high amounts of MCT oil have gastrointestinal issues.  Some people are unaffected.  Probably an absorption problem from what it seems like…sorry, I don't have my journal to cite references.That was one of my initial queries with MCT oils as well, because I know too much can cause such stomach ailments, and I wanted to see what the benefits to con ratio was...Apparently there's not a lot of research to back of how well MCT oil works as a glycogen preservation method.

pshannon

I just started having bowel problems as well, and it coincides with switching brands of coconut oil. The current brand is more liquid than the previous. I didn't have this issue before, but it occurs a few hours after I drink my morning coffee with coconut oil and heavy whipping cream. Yesterday I forgot my oil and I didn't have any issues. Today I used it again and again had the issue.

the more liquid the coconut oil the more MCT it has. thats a good thing

jcgomez

I had similar problems with pure MCT oil. I cut out MCT and am trying to reintroduce coconut oil slowly. I have taken some Imodium AD as a preventative measure and it has worked.

Lesli Bortz
    Participant

Hi I just wanted to let you know about little problem I'm having and to see if anyone experienced anything close to it.After my morning coffee with 1tbsp of coconut oil I seem to be getting nausea, almost throw up but then it goes away. don't worry not pregnant I'm a 30yr old male. I usually never get like that even in the past my stomach held up good to anything I ate. Anyone have the same reaction?Thanks

I don't have any problems with it BUT I make 4 cups of coffee in the morning, add 1 tbsp of coconut oil and drink while I train. So it's spread out over 2 hours or so...maybe that would help?

what are some good HWP products or brands

jtrouve63

I just go with the stop and shop brand, I don't think it matters all that much. Unless you can find some that comes from grass fed cows but I haven't seen it

Chuck

I buy my stuff at Swanson’s (big selection and fast shipping). Switching from MCT oil to Coconut oil really helped. Naomi told me it was due to the fat content and how people handle fat influx. I didn’t handle the MCT’s very well, but my wife handles them just fine. So she’s on MCT and I am on coconut oil.

BALLiSTiC-J

I've been using Stevia as sweetner since I'm allergic to Coconut/Peanuts, not sure if this is a viable solution to your stomach woes.(there's no calories with Stevia or Insulin release to my knowledge from what I've read and heard)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Coconut oil PROBLEM

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?