Consume protein powder, without spiking insulin…

• This topic has 22 voices and 76 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 77 total)
  • Author

The article: “TIP: Avoid whey protein when burning fat!”http://4hourpeople.com/question/1110/TIP-Avoid-whey-protein-when-burning-fat-Quote:"Instead of using whey, there's a slow-burning lactose-free protein that won't spike your insulin called casein or micellar protein, the protein found in cottage cheese. Analagous to the beans, it's a time-released protein that digests slowly and delivers a steady stream of protein to your body over several hours without spiking your insulin. So for all you slow carbers out there using whey, I highly recommend experimenting with casein for your breakfast shakes and reserve the whey protein only for after your workout."...so, perhaps if you are trying to squeeze in those extra grams of protein during ULC, or if you are vegetarian, try Casein protein to avoid insulin spikes, but still meet your protein quota.Just a thought.Here is a list of Casein options (look for lower-carb, with fewer artificial ingredients):http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/mic.htmlCory

pshannon

Oh god Tim Ferriss

Oh god Tim Ferriss

Yeah, I've noticed from the search results he is kinda infamous (his work that is).That said, does the Casein idea not hold true?I am not suggesting relying on protein powder exclusively (or even to a great extent), but a scoop or so during the ULC, with whole foods (esp. fats).  Would that hurt, if it came from Casein?Is there another protein powder that would be more appropriate?  Perhaps egg protein?  Pea protein?  Soy?  Etc.Thanks.  There are times where using a powder might be the most convenient, or the only way possible (for some people, in certain situations).  Like when you're on the go / in a rush.Cory

monsieurjkb

yr better off just eating a spoonful of coconut oil, or a cheese stick, or black coffee… just wait until meal time. snacks won't help unless you're density bulking

Kaprice

yr better off just eating a spoonful of coconut oil, or a cheese stick, or black coffee... just wait until meal time. snacks won't help unless you're density bulking

How does that help you get more protein?

Richard Schmitt

It depends on how much you take in. Anything greater than 10g, yeah it'll spike insulin levels during the ULC part of the day, PWO does it matter? No, not so much. Because if you took leucine with the PWO Shake then insulin levels spiked sans carbs to help muscle from being catabloic, which with CNS and CBL we want anabolic. So shakes PWO are great if on CNS just keep them 50-50. Anything prior to training keep whey below 10g with added fat. AM Accelerator Shake is perfect, thus why Keifer designed it. This is my .02 on the matter, research is done through what I learn from Keifer and what he says from his research. #passingonknowledge

Keeping PWO shakes 50:50 ratio is not needed. 20-30g protein, 5g leucine, 5-20g creatine and your set.

It depends on how much you take in. Anything greater than 10g, yeah it'll spike insulin levels during the ULC part of the day, PWO does it matter? No, not so much. Because if you took leucine with the PWO Shake then insulin levels spiked sans carbs to help muscle from being catabloic, which with CNS and CBL we want anabolic. So shakes PWO are great if on CNS just keep them 50-50. Anything prior to training keep whey below 10g with added fat. AM Accelerator Shake is perfect, thus why Keifer designed it. This is my .02 on the matter, research is done through what I learn from Keifer and what he says from his research. #passingonknowledge

Yes, with whey... but, the question here is Casein... or other powders like egg, soy, pea, etc.The article I linked above says that while whey spikes insulin profusely, casein does not (as much).  I am posting this to suggest, for those interested, that there might be a way to take alternative protein powders, when convenient, and not have an insulin response as you would with whey.More specifically, at times OTHER than post-workout.Cory

Richard Schmitt

Keeping PWO shakes 50:50 ratio is not needed. 20-30g protein, 5g leucine, 5-20g creatine and your set.

I meant after the inital shake...my bad

pshannon

Yes, with whey... but, the question here is Casein... or other powders like egg, soy, pea, etc.The article I linked above says that while whey spikes insulin profusely, casein does not (as much).  I am posting this to suggest, for those interested, that there might be a way to take alternative protein powders, when convenient, and not have an insulin response as you would with whey.More specifically, at times OTHER than post-workout.Cory

I'll let you know in a month. Im pulsing with Mag-10 right now, and started downing Anaconda Intra workout. They are both Casein based. It should be a fun experiment. Workouts are better then they ever have been. Hit a new PR last night in bench.

I'll let you know in a month. Im pulsing with Mag-10 right now, and started downing Anaconda Intra workout. They are both Casein based. It should be a fun experiment. Workouts are better then they ever have been. Hit a new PR last night in bench.

Cool.  I think might experiment, too.  Maybe with Egg or Pea protein.  Not too interested in Soy, b/c of the anti-nutrients and phyto-estrogens.I've actually read awesome things re: Pea Protein.  Might give it a go.Just need to find a low-to-no carb powder.I mean, all protein consumption spikes insulin, but lactose-based (like whey) I hear is the worst -- and spikes it considerably.  Apparently, Casein is lactose-free.Cory

monsieurjkb

yr better off just eating a spoonful of coconut oil, or a cheese stick, or black coffee... just wait until meal time. snacks won't help unless you're density bulking

How does that help you get more protein?

It doesn't...because you should just eat more meat/eggs during your ULC meals. Problem solved. If you're going to use the AM Accelorator, use Whey Isolate. No need to complicate things. 😉

pshannon

Cool.  I think might experiment, too.  Maybe with Egg or Pea protein.  Not too interested in Soy, b/c of the anti-nutrients and phyto-estrogens.I've actually read awesome things re: Pea Protein.  Might give it a go.Just need to find a low-to-no carb powder.I mean, all protein consumption spikes insulin, but lactose-based (like whey) I hear is the worst -- and spikes it considerably.  Apparently, Casein is lactose-free.Cory

Yeah no soy if you like your boys downstairs I am between 26 and 28 usable carbs in my ULC portion of the day. We shall see

Pea protein vs. Casein (study on rats):http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/027153179591654U"Plasma glucose and insulin levels were slightly (not significantly, p > 0.05) lower in rats fed pea proteins than those fed casein."I've been reading in a number of places that the lactose-free, plant-based Pea protein does not spike insulin levels like dairy-based proteins, such as whey.  Furthermore, it is highly bio-available, and can prevent muscle catabolism just as whey does.Here is an excellent-looking, low-carb, high-protein Pea Protein source by NOW:http://www.swansonvitamins.com/NWF264/ItemDetailPer scoop:130 cals, 2g fat, 1g carb, 0g sugar, 0g fiber, 28g protein.-All natural / non-GMO, too.-$14.99 for a 2 lb. container!This might be an option for those who need a quick powder source of protein (just add fat), but don't want to risk spiking insulin.  For use during ULC.  Still use whey PWO.I think I might run this, and experiment.  It is VERY cheap!  😀(NOTE:  My ULC useable carbs are currently 7.5g a day)Cory

monsieurjkb

I thought the 10g Whey was 10g precisely because it won't 'spike' insulin, but raise blood amino acid levels to prevent catabolism or continue anabolism. Obviously any protein powder at 30g or one scoop will be detrimental if you're trying to keep insulin low. Not sure if switching to junky pea proteins will help fat loss more than eschewing the protein entirely, but do whatever you want.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 77 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Consume protein powder, without spiking insulin…

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?