Consume protein powder, without spiking insulin…

• This topic has 22 voices and 76 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 77 total)
  • Author

I thought the 10g Whey was 10g precisely because it won't 'spike' insulin, but raise blood amino acid levels to prevent catabolism or continue anabolism. Obviously any protein powder at 30g or one scoop will be detrimental if you're trying to keep insulin low. Not sure if switching to junky pea proteins will help fat loss more than eschewing the protein entirely, but do whatever you want.

This isn't meant for between meal snacking, this is meant for replacing protein IN a meal, for those of us who might be on the fly, or unable to sit down for a real meal, but don't want to spike our insulin by consuming whey to the detriment of our diet.I am suggesting making a shake w/ pea protein, for instance, and just adding fats (oil or cream), and drinking it on the run, or on a job.  That sort of thing.  Protein + fat w/ no or low carb.  I am not suggesting replacing every meal with said shake.Pea protein has been shown to be highly bio-available, as much as whey, but w/o the surge in insulin (according to studies and trials).Any protein consumption, even from whole foods, can spike insulin to some degree.  Whey, however, skyrockets that $h1t.  I am just seeking solutions / alternatives, and just trying to help those w/ unpredictable lifestyles.  🙂Cory

Gl;itch.e

I'll let you know in a month. Im pulsing with Mag-10 right now, and started downing Anaconda Intra workout. They are both Casein based. It should be a fun experiment. Workouts are better then they ever have been. Hit a new PR last night in bench.

Im sure you already know this but Mag-10 is Casein Hydrolysate. Which is incredibly insulinotropic.

pshannon

I'll let you know in a month. Im pulsing with Mag-10 right now, and started downing Anaconda Intra workout. They are both Casein based. It should be a fun experiment. Workouts are better then they ever have been. Hit a new PR last night in bench.

Im sure you already know this but Mag-10 is Casein Hydrolysate. Which is incredibly insulinotropic.

Yo, I do know this. Can you explain the term in T-nation terms though. I have a medical knowledge but not the layman.

Been doing more reading.Turns out that vegan protein powder offerings, like Pea, Hemp, Soy, etc., the plant-based stuff, do not surge insulin like the dairy protein powders.  They appear to be a safe alternative for the ULC phase, if you NEED a powder source.Pea was getting a LOT of great reviews in the sport / lifting mags, back when it first emerged around 2009/2010.  I'd say it is the best bet of the vegan options.As I said above, I will be running pea protein, as needed during ULC, and see how it goes.Cory

Cmf10024

Let us know which one you try.  I have tried some of the plant based protein powders that are a combination of pea, hemp,and rice (sun warrior and vega) and they both gave me significant stomach cramping. Thanks!

Been doing more reading.Turns out that vegan protein powder offerings, like Pea, Hemp, Soy, etc., the plant-based stuff, do not surge insulin like the dairy protein powders.  They appear to be a safe alternative for the ULC phase, if you NEED a powder source.Pea was getting a LOT of great reviews in the sport / lifting mags, back when it first emerged around 2009/2010.  I'd say it is the best bet of the vegan options.As I said above, I will be running pea protein, as needed during ULC, and see how it goes.Cory

Let us know which one you try.  I have tried some of the plant based protein powders that are a combination of pea, hemp,and rice (sun warrior and vega) and they both gave me significant stomach cramping. Thanks!

I purchased a pure, unflavored, all-natural, non-GMO'd Pea Protein Isolate, from NOW Sports.  1g of useable carb per serving (just like my whey isolates) w/ 2g fat and 28g protein.  $15 for 2 lbs.  Cheap!I will keep you all posted, as soon as I begin.  Not just how I feel ingesting it, but how my fat-loss progress continues.I will be having 1/2 scoop with my first meal, which also includes whole eggs and cheese.  I will also be having 1 1/2 scoops with my late afternoon snack, which also contains cream and cheese.  Furthermore, 1 1/2 scoops with my dinner meal, which also contains eggs, cream, oil and cheese.  I am lacto-ovo vegetarian, for the record, so this will help me make my base protein quota, but keep carbs very low.Pea protein is meant to be allergen-free and highly bio-available... so it should go down easy.  Not sure about Hemp and Rice, would need to research them.Cory

jsmith

what do yall think about beef protein powder in regards to insulin levels? This one has added BCAAs so im assuming its will raise insulin levels.http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3553840

LuNa

what do yall think about beef protein powder in regards to insulin levels? This one has added BCAAs so im assuming its will raise insulin levels.http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3553840

I was thinking beef protein as well. Truenutrition has a great one.

All protein consumption spikes insulin, to some degree… but dairy-based proteins, apparently, raise it exponentially.  Whey is terribly guilty of this.  However, the vegan proteins like Hemp, Soy, Rice, and Pea don't so much… yet, they do contain all of the essential aminos.Pea, which I am looking at (and will be running a trial with), has the same BCAA profile as whey, and is extremely high in arginine.  Should absorb fine, too, due to its bio-availablity.  Furthermore, it has no allergens associated, so it should be a breeze to use.Casein, apparently, doesn't spike as much as whey b/c it is slow-digesting, and doesn't contain lactose.Beef protein may be fine, but for vegetarians, like myself, it isn't an option.Cory

monsieurjkb

Ah, you shoulda said you were vegetarian! I couldn't understand why you just wouldn't eat more real food to get adequate protein. Obviously whole food will get you better results, but not eating enough protein might not be so good either. Is it really that hard to get .8g/lb PRO with eggs, and cheeses? Also, isn't egg white protein okay in terms of insulin (esp paired with fat)? The leucine is in the yolks. Egg beats the pants off of pea bioavailability anyways.

prototypic

Just posing a question to try to understand better – would it be okay to consume a mix of cheese and almonds prior to a casein/isolate/hydrolysate blend (17g/8g/8g – respectively) during the ULC portion of the day? Is that really going to spike insulin that much?I understand just eating some eggs and bacon would be a better alternative, but that's not a great option while at work. Just curious.....

Ah, you shoulda said you were vegetarian! I couldn't understand why you just wouldn't eat more real food to get adequate protein. Obviously whole food will get you better results, but not eating enough protein might not be so good either. Is it really that hard to get .8g/lb PRO with eggs, and cheeses? Also, isn't egg white protein okay in terms of insulin (esp paired with fat)? The leucine is in the yolks. Egg beats the pants off of pea bioavailability anyways.

I do eat a lot of whole food (and certainly eggs / cheeses), but sometimes (occassionally), w/ meetings, being on the run, etc., getting in a shake would be best.  That said, without spiking insulin as whey does.That is also why I chose Pea protein, b/c I eat tons of eggs, and the source variety might be nice (even if my mouth doesn't notice).Cory

monsieurjkb

Just posing a question to try to understand better - would it be okay to consume a mix of cheese and almonds prior to a casein/isolate/hydrolysate blend (17g/8g/8g - respectively) during the ULC portion of the day? Is that really going to spike insulin that much?I understand just eating some eggs and bacon would be a better alternative, but that's not a great option while at work. Just curious.....

No, isolates and hydroslates are for spiking insulin PWO or during CBL. Just eat some fat and get your protein from whole foods at lunch. Or perhaps an AM accelerator shake? (MCT, 10g Whey, Caffeine/Coffee) Maybe Cream in your coffee... There's no need to consume protein all throughout the day.

prototypic

Just posing a question to try to understand better - would it be okay to consume a mix of cheese and almonds prior to a casein/isolate/hydrolysate blend (17g/8g/8g - respectively) during the ULC portion of the day? Is that really going to spike insulin that much?I understand just eating some eggs and bacon would be a better alternative, but that's not a great option while at work. Just curious.....

No, isolates and hydroslates are for spiking insulin PWO or during CBL. Just eat some fat and get your protein from whole foods at lunch. Or perhaps an AM accelerator shake? (MCT, 10g Whey, Caffeine/Coffee) Maybe Cream in your coffee... There's no need to consume protein all throughout the day.

Thanks for the response. I guess that's what I'm confused about. I believe I've read on the boards here that anything less than 10g of isolate is okay and won't spike insulin. Is the same true for hydrolyzed whey? And wouldn't the insulin spike be blunted by the inclusion of casein and fats from cheese and almonds?

monsieurjkb

I think whey isolate might be okay with only 10g + MCT oil and coffee as a breakfast sub, but there's no benefit to use shakes instead of food in the ULC part of the day (besides pre, intra, postworkout). Skip the hydroslates until you want a spike.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 77 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Consume protein powder, without spiking insulin…

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?