Consume protein powder, without spiking insulin…

• This topic has 22 voices and 76 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 77 total)
  • Author

Pea Protein Isolate came in last night…I have been using it since.  Scoop here, scoop there.  It mixes VERY thick, even 1 scoop in 16 oz. water!Thicker than Casein.  Somewhere close to a gritty vegetable puree is the best way to describe it.The taste is... like drinking blended chickpeas.  Not offensive.I'll let everyone know how it goes, in place of whey, when a shake is needed during ULC.  It isn't supposed to spike insulin like whey... no more than any whole food protein source.Cory

Cmf10024

Pea Protein Isolate came in last night...I have been using it since.  Scoop here, scoop there.  It mixes VERY thick, even 1 scoop in 16 oz. water!Thicker than Casein.  Somewhere close to a gritty vegetable puree is the best way to describe it.The taste is... like drinking blended chickpeas.  Not offensive.I'll let everyone know how it goes, in place of whey, when a shake is needed during ULC.  It isn't supposed to spike insulin like whey... no more than any whole food protein source.Cory

I tried hemp protein once and it was very thick. How r u using the pea protein.  Just with water or adding a scoop to something?

Pea Protein Isolate came in last night...I have been using it since.  Scoop here, scoop there.  It mixes VERY thick, even 1 scoop in 16 oz. water!Thicker than Casein.  Somewhere close to a gritty vegetable puree is the best way to describe it.The taste is... like drinking blended chickpeas.  Not offensive.I'll let everyone know how it goes, in place of whey, when a shake is needed during ULC.  It isn't supposed to spike insulin like whey... no more than any whole food protein source.Cory

I tried hemp protein once and it was very thick. How r u using the pea protein.  Just with water or adding a scoop to something?

Always in water, but sometimes w/ added heavy cream.  Depends on the meal.No sweeteners.Cory

Pete

What if you add more fat than 1:1 to your whey protein? Would that help with the insulin spike?Let's say half a scoop of whey (around 10-12g protein) with 2 spoons of coconut oil (28g of fat).

What if you add more fat than 1:1 to your whey protein? Would that help with the insulin spike?Let's say half a scoop of whey (around 10-12g protein) with 2 spoons of coconut oil (28g of fat).

That is what I believe, but others here are not so convinced.So, I use Pea Protein, just to be sure -- as it does not raise insulin the way that whey does.Cory

nickl413

I've never used pea or hemp but I used to use casein very often.  Casein can be pretty thick and nasty too sometimes, even after going through the blender.  If I drink that by itself I will add about 50% more water and let it sit for about 10 mins and then its smooth creamy and delicious.  Maybe it will work with your veg proteins too.

nickl413

Oh and someone mentioned beef protein earlier- that stuff is trash. It doesnt have the complete proteins like a steak does.  Its connective tissues and other garbage.  Taco bell has higher quality “beef.”

I've never used pea or hemp but I used to use casein very often.  Casein can be pretty thick and nasty too sometimes, even after going through the blender.  If I drink that by itself I will add about 50% more water and let it sit for about 10 mins and then its smooth creamy and delicious.  Maybe it will work with your veg proteins too.

Definitely.  Casein is thick, but very nice -- like a milk shake.  I used to use Casein religiously, before bed.  Back during standard BB bulking days.  I'd also mix it with my whey post-workout (2 scoops whey + 1 scoop casein), as Flex prescribed.  I used to enjoy the ON brand... esp. their Raspberry Mousse and Blueberries & Cream flavors -- unbelievable!  Had to special order those from Vitamin Shoppe.That said, it is a bit higher in carb content than pea protein.  In trying to keep my carbs ultra-low (sub-10), I nixed the idea of using casein again.  I did initially consider it due to the fact that it does not spike insulin in the way that whey does.  So, this is why I settled on pea protein.Pea protein is also MAD cheap.  $15 for 2 lbs., and it is highly bio-avail., with a good arginine content (for better pumps).Thanks for chiming in.Cory

dudsy

I have been using it since.  Scoop here, scoop there.  It mixes VERY thick, even 1 scoop in 16 oz. water!

I like this idea. Sometimes i struggle to get the recommended protein requirements on whole foods along while ULC.Will have to get me sum

I have been using it since.  Scoop here, scoop there.  It mixes VERY thick, even 1 scoop in 16 oz. water!

I like this idea. Sometimes i struggle to get the recommended protein requirements on whole foods along while ULC.Will have to get me sum

I had posted the science article, where they tested pea protein for insulin spiking, earlier.  Vegan protein powders, in general, do not spike insulin like whey.  All protein spikes insulin, though.  Even steak.  Of the vegan powders, hemp and pea are the best.  Pea IS the best b/c it is as bio-available as whey isolate.  It is also rich in Arginine, and that can help the 'pump', and thus circulation.That said, I do not recommend you consume solely powders, and no nutritionist would either.  They are meant to be supplements, not replacements.  Your body needs more than just protein to survive, and whole foods fulfill a plethora of bodily needs.Use pea protein to give yourself a kick, to nudge toward a number... as you would any supplement (to fill a gap).  Not b/c you just don't feel like making real food.Cory

Marty P Koch
    Participant

I have the opposite problem - I had to work real hard to get the protein down (was ~2g/#) so that I could get fat in equal amount...

Marty P Koch
    Participant

Definitely.  Casein is thick, but very nice -- like a milk shake.  I used to use Casein religiously, before bed.  Back during standard BB bulking days.  I'd also mix it with my whey post-workout (2 scoops whey + 1 scoop casein), as Flex prescribed.  I used to enjoy the ON brand... esp. their Raspberry Mousse and Blueberries & Cream flavors -- unbelievable!  Had to special order those from Vitamin Shoppe.That said, it is a bit higher in carb content than pea protein.  TrueNutrition's Micellar Casein only has 1.3g CHO/serving vs. the the Gemma Pea Protein @ 1.2g per... not sure if this is something worth looking into, animal sourced and all.  Although you are dead-on with the price difference (see below)...  In trying to keep my carbs ultra-low (sub-10), I nixed the idea of using casein again.  I did initially consider it due to the fact that it does not spike insulin in the way that whey does.  So, this is why I settled on pea protein.Pea protein is also MAD cheap.  $15 for 2 lbs. That is crazy!!!  $5.09/# for Gemma vs M. Casein @ $11.18/# , and it is highly bio-avail., with a good arginine content (for better pumps).Thanks for chiming in.Cory

Definitely.  Casein is thick, but very nice -- like a milk shake.  I used to use Casein religiously, before bed.  Back during standard BB bulking days.  I'd also mix it with my whey post-workout (2 scoops whey + 1 scoop casein), as Flex prescribed.  I used to enjoy the ON brand... esp. their Raspberry Mousse and Blueberries & Cream flavors -- unbelievable!  Had to special order those from Vitamin Shoppe.That said, it is a bit higher in carb content than pea protein.  TrueNutrition's Micellar Casein only has 1.3g CHO/serving vs. the the Gemma Pea Protein @ 1.2g per... not sure if this is something worth looking into, animal sourced and all.  Although you are dead-on with the price difference (see below)...  In trying to keep my carbs ultra-low (sub-10), I nixed the idea of using casein again.  I did initially consider it due to the fact that it does not spike insulin in the way that whey does.  So, this is why I settled on pea protein.Pea protein is also MAD cheap.  $15 for 2 lbs. That is crazy!!!  $5.09/# for Gemma vs M. Casein @ $11.18/# , and it is highly bio-avail., with a good arginine content (for better pumps).Thanks for chiming in.Cory

I use Now Foods Sports Pea Protein... it has 1 carbs, 2 grams of fat, and 28g of protein per scoop.  $15 for 2 lbs. is f-ck all cheap, too.  🙂http://www.swansonvitamins.com/NWF264/ItemDetailHigh bio-availability, zero known allergens, and rich in Arginine (2g per scoop).  Three pluses right there.It tastes like drinking pureed peas, but what do you expect?  LOL.Cory

Fairy

Ew…I used to use hemp, seriously gritty. I mixed it with my algae greens drink. After doing that for a few months, I seriously think I would be able to stomach real pond sludge if I desired to

Go Heavy
    Participant

A problem with the Casein protein, which Keifer touched on in his interview on the Muscle and Fitness website I believe, is that Casein is the protein that can develop or agitate any dairy allergies or sensitivities one may have and so he recommends against it as a source of protein.  The Veggie ones I have no idea on at all but since no one has said anything about the milk allergy stuff I thought I'd add it in.Here's the link.http://www.muscleandfitness.com/nutrition/carb-back-loading-explained/carb-back-loading-explained-episode-18

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 77 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Consume protein powder, without spiking insulin…

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?