Consume protein powder, without spiking insulin…

• This topic has 22 voices and 76 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 77 total)
  • Author

Stonemason

DAmnit! I just spent 51 dollars on a whey mix. I've just started CNS so this insulin spike is unacceptable… there goes today… i just downed a 30g serving…Oh well, I'll just save it for my CBL phase in a month or two or three.

Marty P Koch
    Participant

DAmnit! I just spent 51 dollars on a whey mix. I've just started CNS so this insulin spike is unacceptable... there goes today... i just downed a 30g serving...Oh well, I'll just save it for my CBL phase in a month or two or three.

Just use it as part of your PWO mix.

DAmnit! I just spent 51 dollars on a whey mix. I've just started CNS so this insulin spike is unacceptable... there goes today... i just downed a 30g serving...Oh well, I'll just save it for my CBL phase in a month or two or three.

Just use it as part of your PWO mix.

+1

stever

thanks for bringing this topic up, cory. i'm a big fan of pea protein – especially as a soup base – so i was wondering if it would be contra-indicated in either CNS or CBL due to spiking insulin as whey does. good to see it can still fit in to the ULC portion of the day.edit:i did a little digging and tried to a conclusive statement on the topic. unfortunately, the research either used pea protein hydrosylates, or a combination pea protein-carbohydrate solution. even more frustratingly, one of the studies (Smith CE et al) drew the conclusion that, "Calbet & MacLean found yellow pea protein to affect plasma amino acid and hormone levels in a similar manner as whey"...however, looking at Calbert & MacLean revealed that they were comparing whey & pea hydrosylates! big woops there...even the cited study used a combination protein-carbohydrate diet in feeding the rats...ratdiet.pngit did show a decreased plasma insulin level for those fed the pea protein mixinsulinresponse.pngbut the rats were fasted for 12 hours before the plasma samples were obtained! as the researchers stated, "[a]nalyses of postprandial samples... may provide a more sensitive result than fasted plasma samples used in the current study."looks like we can't draw any conclusions yet.steve

Thanks for sharing, Steve.I have been using Pea Protein, during ULC, and have had no issues thus far -- been doing it for a month or so now.  I've been consistently losing weight.Cory

dudsy

Thanks for sharing, Steve.I have been using Pea Protein, during ULC, and have had no issues thus far -- been doing it for a month or so now.  I've been consistently losing weight.Cory

I tried using pea protein during ULC but cant stomach the taste. Is there any more info on how micellar casein effects insulin levels?Edit: I found an interesting study on the subjecthttp://www.jappl.org/content/107/3/987.abstract?sid=8522d67b-0cad-41a9-9cd2-a96f04224368It shows that insulin levels dont change from baseline - 60mins+ using micellar casein compared to whey & soy (p.990). Subjects were measured post-workout which may or may not have some beraing on the outcome

I tried using pea protein during ULC but cant stomach the taste. Is there any more info on how micellar casein effects insulin levels?Edit: I found an interesting study on the subjecthttp://www.jappl.org/content/107/3/987.abstract?sid=8522d67b-0cad-41a9-9cd2-a96f04224368It shows that insulin levels dont change from baseline - 60mins+ using micellar casein compared to whey & soy (p.990). Subjects were measured post-workout which may or may not have some beraing on the outcome

It's a good question.Casein (while dairy sourced) is slow-release, thus the aminos would be slow-released, so not all at once causing a spike.Give it a try for a couple weeks, if you stall (suddenly), you know why... then, cut the Casein.Cory

Jake

Would buying a 30% Rice/ 70% Gemma Pea Protein blend suffice in replacing whey completely in they diet for the ULC part of the day and post-workout?  I just ask because it's the cheapest protein on truenutrition.com and I'm always trying to save money.

Marty P Koch
    Participant

Try to figure out the full AA profile for that particular mix per 30g scoop and compare it to the same 30g scoop profile for Whey (Isolate) and see what it shows.  This is a starting point and you will have your answer once you weigh the cost vs (lesser) benefit.  I am far from an expert, but I do know that the main driver of a carb-free insulin spike is the leucine content, and as i understand it is very hard to beat whey (isolate/hydrolysate) in terms of content per measure.  I would add that there are benefits to Whey in terms of health due to the unique peptide fractions beyond just the total protein content/AA profile.

Jake

Well the pea/rice protein has about 2 more grams of leucine per 100 grams of the powder compared to they whey protein concentrate on their site. 

Would buying a 30% Rice/ 70% Gemma Pea Protein blend suffice in replacing whey completely in they diet for the ULC part of the day and post-workout?  I just ask because it's the cheapest protein on truenutrition.com and I'm always trying to save money.

Why not replace with full pea, if replacement is your intention?  Pea protein is allergen-free, highly bio-available and not only high in BCAAs, but also Arginine (good for blood flow and GH).If you must replace whey for cost, then just go full pea.  No reason to blend w/ rice.Cory

Jake

Why not replace with full pea, if replacement is your intention?  Pea protein is allergen-free, highly bio-available and not only high in BCAAs, but also Arginine (good for blood flow and GH).If you must replace whey for cost, then just go full pea.  No reason to blend w/ rice.Cory

From what I've been reading online thus far, Pea protein alone isn't a complete protein profile in terms of all the amino acids but when mixed with Rice protein in a 70/30 mixture gives the best amino acid profile.  Is this incorrect? Another question, are there any disadvantages to using Pea protein versus whey protein concentrate post-workout?

From what I've been reading online thus far, Pea protein alone isn't a complete protein profile in terms of all the amino acids but when mixed with Rice protein in a 70/30 mixture gives the best amino acid profile.  Is this incorrect? Another question, are there any disadvantages to using Pea protein versus whey protein concentrate post-workout?

Different sources will tell you different things re: vegetable proteins, and I've heard some say to mix rice/pea, but I hear others swear by using pea alone.  I do know pea is highly bioavailable (90% or something), with all of the BCAAs (~5g per 30g serving, if isolate), and high in both glutamine and arginine.If you can afford the whey concentrate, go with that.  Isolate is preferable, but whey of any kind is still better than a vegetable protein alone.Cory

Cmf10024

I have been using hemp protein powder during the ULC for the past two months. Do you think there is any advantage of pea protein over hemp.Thanks!

I have been using hemp protein powder during the ULC for the past two months. Do you think there is any advantage of pea protein over hemp.Thanks!

Pea protein is 100% allergen-free... I've heard hemp has caused some people issues.Cory

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 77 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Consume protein powder, without spiking insulin…

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?